PDA

View Full Version : Knock retard!

Mario_V
08-06-2007, 03:09 AM
Today I connected the DRBII to monitor knock retard with my new hybrid turbo at 17psi. I saw 1° of KR on cylinders 1, 3 and 4, number 2 showed 2° of KR, should I worry? :( Is it "acceptable" to see some KR or is it imperativeo to see see 0 KR?

Aries_Turbo
08-06-2007, 06:28 PM
thats not bad if the car is hot and it does it occasionally but its a teensy bit bad if it does it all the time. if it does it all the time, take .5-1.5 degrees out of the full throttle timing map at that boost level (if you are already setup to make cals), or retard the timing with the distributor one degree, or spray a little alky in there. :)

is this a 2-bar cal with map trickery or a 3-bar?

Brian

Mario_V
08-06-2007, 07:50 PM
thats not bad if the car is hot and it does it occasionally but its a teensy bit bad if it does it all the time. if it does it all the time, take .5-1.5 degrees out of the full throttle timing map at that boost level (if you are already setup to make cals), or retard the timing with the distributor one degree, or spray a little alky in there. :)

is this a 2-bar cal with map trickery or a 3-bar?

Brian

Thanks for your answer. I wish I could tamper with my cal, but my car is a 94 mexican 2.5 T2 Phantom and it has a SBEC II. There isnīt much info on moding this cals :( so I have clamp it to bypass the MAP cut-out. I also use a wideband and it shows 10.8:1 at WOT.

I think this KR has to do with the MAP clamp, the ECU sees less boost and the timing advance stays a little hi and detonation occurs. But the thing is if I clamp it less, the air/fuel ratio goes to 9.0:1! super rich. I tried to clamp it on the edge of cut-out and less fuel pressure, a lot less, like around 30psi and the air/fuel ratio stays the same! (my car has stock injectors and a 255 Walbro) just at idle the engine turns lean.

Iīm going to adjust the clamp just a little to see if the KR goes away.

GLHNSLHT2
08-07-2007, 12:27 AM
If it stays there that's not too bad. Little rich though.

Aries_Turbo
08-07-2007, 07:30 PM
can you use a US spec SBEC-I and one of the custom cals off of this board? I dont know the pinouts of the SBEC-I and II and the differences though.

Brian

Mario_V
08-07-2007, 08:47 PM
can you use a US spec SBEC-I and one of the custom cals off of this board? I dont know the pinouts of the SBEC-I and II and the differences though.

Brian

I tried with a 90/91 SBEC I stage 5 from FWD, 3 bar MAP, 40s, etc, changed pin 57 to 8, it started and everything, but code 41 was always present. Also knock retard was way higher with this cal, even at vacuum, I ended up selling it.

Aries_Turbo
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
hmmm wonder why the code 41... did the battery still charge with the code? i guess youd have to compare a 91 US wiring harness with yours.

yeah I wouldnt go with a FWD cal. Id buy a burner from www.mcumall.com (I have the willem enhanced pcb3, love it!), use one of robs as a base and make changes over 14.7 psi (the point where the stock cals "flatline".... ie no changes as the boost goes up from there) and tweak the pumping efficiency table.

if you decide to go that route, i can give you a hand till you get the hang of it. you dont have to change alot to dial the car in well.

plus you already have one of the key ingredients.... the wideband. :)

Brian

Mario_V
08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
hmmm wonder why the code 41... did the battery still charge with the code? i guess youd have to compare a 91 US wiring harness with yours.

yeah I wouldnt go with a FWD cal. Id buy a burner from www.mcumall.com (I have the willem enhanced pcb3, love it!), use one of robs as a base and make changes over 14.7 psi (the point where the stock cals "flatline".... ie no changes as the boost goes up from there) and tweak the pumping efficiency table.

if you decide to go that route, i can give you a hand till you get the hang of it. you dont have to change alot to dial the car in well.

plus you already have one of the key ingredients.... the wideband. :)

Brian

Thanks, a friend bought a Willem burner, we are waiting fot it to arrive, this will be the route to go :).

badandy
08-08-2007, 12:51 PM
...okay...next time I'll knock! sheesh! I guess you have something against using the doorbell?

LOL...sorry, I could resist:o

sdac guy
08-08-2007, 04:53 PM
...okay...next time I'll knock! sheesh! I guess you have something against using the doorbell?

LOL...sorry, I could resist:o And here I thought I was the only one Andy ...

Why is every one knocking the retards?

So they are a little slow, just be patient with them ...

:lol: :lol:

Barry

Aries_Turbo
08-08-2007, 11:09 PM
hehehe deh, da, da... (in a carlos mencia voice)

WickedShelby88
08-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Mencia is the man!

SL#189
08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
hehehe deh, da, da... (in a carlos mencia voice)

(Mencia voice) "That's not how he does it!" "It's 'Dee' followed by 'Dee' followed by 'Dee', how hard can it be?"