PDA

View Full Version : I deleted a bing in my Neon !!

BlueBaron
08-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Like the presenters of the show 'Top Gear', I can't stand how American cars feel they need to make a binging sound everytime something happens. And honestly, I've had a random single bing in my car, that refers to nothing I can think of. I'll look at and push anything that might corrospond to a bing. But nothing is wrong.

When I deliver pizza on the weekends, it's a pain to take the key out of the car everytime I get back to the store, considering I'm likely getting back in the car within a minute or two. So I leave the key, and simply lock the doors by remote (hanging on my belt). Guess what the car does when you open the door with the key in? Yes it bings. I tend to ignore it, and next thing I know I've left the parking lights on, because it's the same bing.

I had a problem with a 'no start' a while back, and tried to sort it myself. (ultimately It went to Dodge to get the computer replaced) While poking at the ignition switch, I noticed there is a single contact that tells the computer there's a key in the ignition. Today I took the column apart to test my theory. Sure enough, without that contact in place, the car doesn't know there is a key there. Possible problem was that it would immobilize the car, but it doesn't. But besides not binging anymore when the door opens, it also allows the alarm system to be armed. Normaly that doesn't happen with the key in. And I always found that confusing. I think it's important to have the alarm on, considering the key is right there.

You're possibly now compaining that I just wasted 2 minutes of your time. Sorry, but I wanted to share. This was a happy day for me :)

Turbodave
08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
I pulled the door buzzer-bing maker speaker out of my truck about 6 or 7 years ago, it's mute now and I like it.

BlueBaron
08-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I thought about that. But decided I don't mind it telling me things like "door ajar", "lights on", "brake on" etc.

Now, I noticed since the car doesn't think there's a key in the ignition anymore, the interior light comes on when I kill the engine. I wonder if that'll bother me at anytime.? I might have to track down the lead that tells the lights to come on. I wonder if it's seperate from the door opening signal?

ShadowFromHell
08-06-2007, 10:47 PM
I did that my shadow a long time ago when I had the colum apart.... I liked having it gone.

JDAWG
08-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Yea mine bothered me too. I found if you pull the key out like 1/8 of an inch it doesn know the key is there and thinks its out. Problem solved.

GLHNSLHT2
08-07-2007, 12:30 AM
I eliminated the whole ignition switch all together :)

MiniMopar
08-07-2007, 12:31 AM
The "binger" in my CSX, when it makes any sound at all, sounds like a canary that had it wings chewed off by driver ants and then got shoved in a black plastic box and jammed behind my dash.

Pandemoniac
08-07-2007, 09:53 AM
:lol: Oh man... how long did you sit thinking up that response!?
My shadow "bings" normally, when I want it to shut up I just pull the key part-way out.

t2_85_lebaron
08-07-2007, 11:10 AM
yeah.. dodges are one of the few vehicles where you can pull the key out a small amount and it wont beep anymore... i wish the headlights on these cars would turn off on there own, might have to do some custom wiring... lol

mcsvt
08-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Mine has a mind of it's own. Some days it will bing... others it won't. I'm never really sure what kind of day it will be until I shut the car down and open the door...

BlueBaron
08-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I do the "key partly out" thing in my LeBaron. Neon won't do it though.
My Dad discovered the buzzer in his Stealth keeps going no matter how far you pull the key. The key has to be right out for it to stop.

Well I was mistaken. My dome light doesn't come on when I turn the engine off. Moreso, it doesn't come on when I take the key out either. (that's when it used to come on) So now it waits for me to open the door.

I'm trying to remember, do the turbo Dodges do the same? Or do the lights come on when the key comes out? I'm thinking no.