PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a header.

My96z
08-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Hear me out for a second on this...

I was thinking of using a stock/aftermarket shorty tubular header off of a vehicle with exhuast port configuration such as on our turbo dodge heads. Such as SB Ford, LS1 ect. I was thinking of taking the passenger side header and fabbing and tweaking it with heat to match the 2.2/2.5 exhaust ports and then welding the appropriate flanges in each end.

I know some of them have good clearance that might fit behind our engines. I am in Iraq so I cant do much to follow up on this till I get back in Nov. but does anyone have the exhaust gaskets to see how close or far off the ports are?

I also realize that they might not be strong enough to hold up a turbo assembly so a bracket would be needed. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Here is a ebay auction of SB Ford headers to help you visualize... Picture the pass. side header with TD exhaust flanges and a Chrysler turbo flange. Looks like you would have to weld the turbo flange on so that it would position the turbo correctly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Motorsport-5-0-302-Shorty-Headers-Mustang_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33631QQihZ012QQ itemZ220134921258QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Jeff

Frank
08-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Well the biggest problem is getting similar port location relative to the cylinder and similar cylinder spacing.

My96z
08-04-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree, there has to be someone around here that has a SB ford/LS1 ect. gasket to try and see what the difference is, to se how far off and if there is any one header thats real close and start tweakin.

ottawa rogue
08-09-2007, 06:21 PM
well, i don't have a TD gasket, but i do have a set of SBF headers out in the garage, i could go out and measure the port spacing center to center if you'd like.
i haven't gotten around to installing them on my '69 montego yet:D

Aries_Turbo
08-18-2007, 12:34 PM
you are going to have to cut and weld a significant amount anyway, why not just start with weld el's and flanges.... youll prolly have less money in it when you finish anyways.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2007, 01:11 PM
you are going to have to cut and weld a significant amount anyway, why not just start with weld el's and flanges.... youll prolly have less money in it when you finish anyways.

Brian

And for the average joe, I bet you won't notice any difference. One of the those old school log headers had Reeves in the 10's, :wow1:

Aries_Turbo
08-18-2007, 08:53 PM
well I wasnt quite saying make a log... I was thinking more divided but not necessarily equal length.

Brian