PDA

View Full Version : l-body real cai

Wes85L
08-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a t1 and was thinking of removing the air box and using some flexible dryer type hose or similar off the throttle body to near the headlight area. My battery is in the stock location. I'm sure someone has done it but I would like to see some pictures to get a better idea of how it will look or a better way to do it. I know if the battery was moved it would be alot easier but right now I want to leave it.

One option I realize would be to connect right to the power module. I know the airbox connects to that stock which would be essentially the same thing but I would like to get rid of the airbox because it takes up alot of room and is a pain to remove just to check timing.

rbryant
08-04-2007, 02:36 PM
And how are you going to filter your air in this scenerio?

Wes85L
08-04-2007, 06:22 PM
K&N cone at the end. I know there are a couple things I can do with the pcv hoses but not sure which one makes the most sense.

Murphy
08-04-2007, 07:00 PM
dryer hose is a bad idea, its not air tight enough

Wes85L
08-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I believe there is some industrial hose that people have used. I remember it being orange. It might be for marine use.

rbryant
08-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I believe there is some industrial hose that people have used. I remember it being orange. It might be for marine use.

It won't fit past the battery/overflow bottle on an lbody. There is even less room for it with ta cone.

-Rich

Force Fed Mopar
08-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I have a t1 and was thinking of removing the air box and using some flexible dryer type hose or similar off the throttle body to near the headlight area. My battery is in the stock location. I'm sure someone has done it but I would like to see some pictures to get a better idea of how it will look or a better way to do it. I know if the battery was moved it would be alot easier but right now I want to leave it.

One option I realize would be to connect right to the power module. I know the airbox connects to that stock which would be essentially the same thing but I would like to get rid of the airbox because it takes up alot of room and is a pain to remove just to check timing.

Yeah but how often do you need to check your timing? The airbox isn't really all that restrictive IMO, unless you're really pushing some power, which I doubt you are on a T1 log setup. There really isn't much you can do to improve, unless you relocate the battery or run piping across the engine compartment.

SpoolinGLH
08-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Here is a picture of some intake I used made out of neoprene. It is actually used on Helicopter intakes....I can not remember where i got it though...Ill try to remember so i can post it here...
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/HollywoodFashionz/candles001.jpg

Gaboon
08-04-2007, 10:55 PM
I used and still use a "scrunchy" 3" hose from a K car (I think it was from a K car)
It is about 3 feet long, at least and I route it down in front od the cluch arm to grab cold air from under the car.
I have a cone style open air filter attached to the end.

I've used this since I was T1 on my L body.

Here's a pic of the old set up with the hose and one of the existing set up using the same hose and filter set up.

You can"t see the filter but it's a large K@N style cone that is attached to the end that rests against the rad support, basically level with the bottom of the car.

Wes85L
08-05-2007, 12:43 AM
The airbox isn't really all that restrictive IMO, unless you're really pushing some power, which I doubt you are on a T1 log setup. There really isn't much you can do to improve, unless you relocate the battery or run piping across the engine compartment.

It isn't restriction I'm concerned about, just getting cooler air that isn't around the engine. I already have a k&n filter in the airbox anyway. If I keep the airbox or not, I think I will run a hose to the bottom rad support like Gaboon did. With the airbox in place I wouldn't need an extra cone filter which I don't have now anyway. I've seen some scrunchy hose like you mentioned at the j-yard. This is all for the time being anyway, I will have a lightweight battery and aftermarket coolant overflow if I ever get an engine built like I plan to so there will be many more options for where I can put it.

Thanks for the ideas.

20w/ashelby
08-05-2007, 02:11 AM
I used dryer hose on my SC for 2 years. I ran it all the way to inside the nose cone and put a K&N on the end of it. Just bypass the Power Module if you do this. Air was only routed through there to keep the electrnoics inside cool.

I found my cardomain page from 4 years ago. There is a small pic of where my dryer hose went. I ran it across the front of the engine, then into the cone. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/269906