PDA

View Full Version : If not Diesel, how about Propane?

SL#189
08-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Can we make a 2.2/2.5 run fast on Propane? :confused:

JeremyL
08-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Propane's great, I know a lot of farmers who run it. They start 'em on gas & when they're warmed up they switch over. To take full advantage of it, you have to raise the compression though. And finding a propane setup & adapting it might be pain.

turbovanmanČ
08-03-2007, 03:30 AM
Yes, propane would work BUT you need room for the tanks, as your mileage suffers, so you need to carry more fuel.
You can raise the compression ratio and probably run more boost, :amen:

WickedShelby88
08-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Compressed natural gas has been run too. There was a guy running en experimental setup like that in a funny car. I don't remember where I read it though, but it was a complete write-up with pictures and all in a magazine. I like propane because it runs so clean. I think the oil in our forklift at work gets changed once a year or something( I don't recommend this), but it does stay fairly clean. Good alternative and here in the midwest there a quite a few places that do this. I would use a setup that could run multiple tanks like that of a gas grill so you can switch off when you need to. Using digital scales for each to make sure you don't run out for fuel level. Neat concept for sure.

raccoon
08-05-2007, 03:18 PM
something about having a pressurized gas cylinder in my car bothers me.

cordes
08-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Yes, propane would work BUT you need room for the tanks, as your mileage suffers, so you need to carry more fuel.
You can raise the compression ratio and probably run more boost, :amen:

last I checked propane was almost 1/4 the cost of gas, so you still come out way ahead even though you get less mileage. It has been a while though.

turbovanmanČ
08-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah but factor in the coversion cost and :(

Propane in my area is 69 cents a litre, gas is 99 cents, not worth it.

cordes
08-06-2007, 02:31 AM
Yeah but factor in the coversion cost and :(

Propane in my area is 69 cents a litre, gas is 99 cents, not worth it.

yeah that is not worth it at all. When my dad did it he used parts that he had "lying around". He is just that kind of guy. When he told me about it, I literally asked what have you been up to lately, "oh I had the last two days off so I went ahead and stroked the truck and converted it to propane". :confused:

85LEBARON
08-22-2007, 11:01 PM
I had an 85 2.2 Reliant on propane, I bought it that way and it ran like a dream. Lots of pep and cheap to run. The only reason I let it go was because the transmission blew.

Dusty_Duster
08-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Is propane a gas or liquid when used in cars? If it's a gas, how would it work with the stock fuel system?

88_pacifica
08-23-2007, 08:45 AM
something about having a pressurized gas cylinder in my car bothers me.

Exactly...

SL#189
08-23-2007, 12:53 PM
So aside from the obvious cost difference and the worry of a compressed flammable gas in your car, would the mileage per gallon be better? If so, could that offset the overall cost? (I'm positive mileage would be less if you had to build a "blast containment" system to ease worries of explosive gasses). How different is it than half a tank of gas or Nitrous? :confused: LPG is Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

cordes
08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
How different is it than half a tank of gas or Nitrous? :confused: LPG is Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

Having seen some of the setups that people have cobbled up make me wonder why they all the sudden get so safety consious. I agree that once you have a tank of gas or a bottle of nitrus in the car why not propane. it would be a 1:1,000,000 shot any way you slice it.

Birddog
08-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Is propane a gas or liquid when used in cars? If it's a gas, how would it work with the stock fuel system?

It remains a liquid under pressure. Go here (http://poweredbypropane.net/products/3.html) for the good stuff. I've been looking at this for Omni.

Having seen some of the setups that people have cobbled up make me wonder why they all the sudden get so safety consious. I agree that once you have a tank of gas or a bottle of nitrus in the car why not propane. it would be a 1:1,000,000 shot any way you slice it.

Exactly.. heck a 1/4 tank of regular fuel is probably more dangerous than a propane tank.

SL#189
08-24-2007, 11:40 AM
It remains a liquid under pressure. Go here (http://poweredbypropane.net/products/3.html) for the good stuff. I've been looking at this for Omni.

Exactly.. heck a 1/4 tank of regular fuel is probably more dangerous than a propane tank.

Definitely interesting kits there - I'm curious what it would take to be a pure LPG rig - I noticed the gasoline is only used to warm up the cylinders. Block heater? Intake air heater? Glow plugs?

JeremyL
08-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Definitely interesting kits there - I'm curious what it would take to be a pure LPG rig - I noticed the gasoline is only used to warm up the cylinders. Block heater? Intake air heater? Glow plugs?

All the ones I ever messed with also circulated coolant water through the vaporizer part to keep the propane from turning back into a liquid.