PDA

View Full Version : TBI cam

jeremyshelby
08-01-2007, 06:42 PM
ok so i did a search and didn't find the exact answer...maybe im just not looking hard enough.....I know i want to run an 88 TBI cam in my 88 shelby Z bc i only plan on runnign 18 psi of boost....the question is the junkyard has a 88 2.5 TBI not a 2.2 TBI like evryone says shoudl be used....should i pick up the 2.5 one or try and find a 2.2 one.

rbryant
08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
My vote is to find the 2.2 cam. I know the one you want should have a square tooth gear and the 2.5 tallblock will have a round gear.

The round tooth cam gears had a different degree offset than the old square tooth 2.2 gears did.

The 88TBI cam should be centerlined @ 122 degrees which was exactly what it came up as when I checked it with a round tooth gear on a common block 2.2. The cam was never made for the square tooth gear it was just done because the common block wasn't ready yet.

Therefore if you run a square tooth setup with a roller cam (such as the 88TBI cam) it should use an offset key or adjustable cam gear to get the best results.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
08-01-2007, 08:55 PM
You can always try it and see what happens, worst case, it makes less power, :o

shadow88
08-01-2007, 10:08 PM
The one I run used to have a round tooth cam gear on it. It's from a 2.5l. I don't have a comparison with the 2.2l tbi cam. Mine is installed with a 2 degree offset key and uses a suare tooth sprocket.

moparzrule
08-02-2007, 06:56 AM
I tried a bunch of different cams, and honestly I like the 88' turbo roller (the one you have stock) the best out of stock cams. Seemed to have the fastest turbo spoolup and all around power.

MiniMopar
08-02-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm running the 2.5L 88 TBI cam in both of my cars. I haven't played with the Daytona one yet, as the adjustable sprocket failed. The 87 CSX (square tooth belt) likes it retarded 6 degrees. Doesn't make as much power as the FM475 did. Idles better, though.

jeremyshelby
08-02-2007, 09:18 PM
ok thanks for all the info.....mini mopar how did you retard your cam...did you use the offset keys or did you use an adjustable cam sprocket. also did you notice any gains over stock.

Dusty_Duster
08-03-2007, 03:05 PM
If you come over here and install the stock cam in my head, you can have my performance cam. :-P

jeremyshelby
08-03-2007, 03:12 PM
i have spare 88 T-2 Roller cams. If your serious i might have to lok into how long a drive mansfield is.

moparfwdsleeper
08-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Vinny come to Oklahoma i'll swap you;) lol when I first got on the boards I jumped into a thread similar to this and was also told the 88 turbo cam is the best stock and to run with it. Cindy also added when I was at her shop and brought this up that if its not on a shelf in my building, dont bother with it stick with the 88 turbo cam.

Dusty_Duster
08-06-2007, 08:38 AM
i have spare 88 T-2 Roller cams. If your serious i might have to lok into how long a drive mansfield is.

You make the drive and do the work and I just might be. :D

MiniMopar
08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm using the Fidanza adjustable sprocket on both cars. Nice piece, just don't forget to put Loctite on the nuts. Apparently there is supposed to be some kind of note in the box, but neither of mine had one (FWD-P) and the one on the Daytona got mangled bad. I really wish the vendors would be a tad more careful on little details like this. The spacers on the GN AFPR is another example that comes to mind.