PDA

View Full Version : 318 to cummins swap

WickedShelby88
08-01-2007, 02:51 AM
Seeing all this talk about how great the cummins is and how many people I know and who have them makes me think I need to do this more than ever. What years would be recommended to put into an older vehicle like my 84 RC. What years were 4WD offered. I want to put the 94-96 style in mine, but if its going to be a PITA I will avoid it. I know GM liked that fly by the wire crap with the 6.5 even in the earlier models. The only thing I ever did to a guys 100k plus 99 was change the oil and fuel filter when it was due and the air filter a few times as well and that was one of the most powerful trucks I'd ever driven next to obviously a semi truck. With soy diesel dirt cheap around the area here in good ole illinois and fuel mileage around 20 which is what the toyota tundra V8 gets I'd really love to do this swap so I can get 20 mpg from an RC and have plenty of towing power to boot. Axles aren't a big deal. I already know where I can get an 8 3/4 for the rear for free. t-case a friend has. What trans should I use? OD or find a manual truck in the 94 up variant and fab some mounts. I'm pretty serious about this as this will be the only way to justify keeping this gas hog around. The wife hates it right now because I'm getting suck poor fuel economy. Granted the carb needs rebuilt, plugs are shot, and the ESC is acting up. I just hate to part with it. I would really like some advice here. Are there drivetrains in the salvage yards for less than 2k?

dds78910
08-01-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure if a junk yard will sell a drive train for $2000. I have a 78 RC and am thinking of doing the same swap. I know where I can get a 97 cummins with 5 speed tranny for $2500, but it is a 2wd set up so it would a divoriced transfer case to run the 4wd. I dont think I can swing it now so if you need it let me know.

Turbodave
08-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Joe, I'm not sure what would be involved with a drivetrain swap, you could get a Cummins with 4wd every year, 89 to present. best bet wold probably be to find a beat up but low mileage 4wd 3/4 ton farm truck and swap everything over from that. I've seen complete 1st gen trucks sell around the 2,500 to 3,000 price range and that would give you all the parts you need.

There is an 89 Dually 2wd local to me for $3200obo, 111k miles, clean truck. It would be a shame to part it out, but it would have a lot of the parts you need.

Besides the engine there would also need to be changes to the suspension and maybe even the frame to support that heavy engine. I know it's been done before, so there may be more info out on the web about it.

My thoughts with the RamCharger is that maybe the smaller 4cyl version of the B series cummins would work nicely in there, it's shorter and lighter and with a few mods I'm sure it could perform like a stock 6 cyl version.

WickedShelby88
08-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Interesting idea. What did the B series come in?

Turbodave
08-01-2007, 10:26 AM
The 4cyl B-series was in a lot of delivery trucks, bread trucks etc. The 6-cyl B-series was in the ram pickups, school buses and a ton of other stuff.

WickedShelby88
08-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Sounds like I got a better chance of finding the B series in a bus. I remember now. Both the 4 and 6 were versions of the B series. The 4 sounds like a really good idea. It would be much lighter and still produce plenty of power not to mention being very unique as maybe I would be the only one with this swap. The other advantage too would be the fact that the 6 cylinder bellhousing is the same so I could use some driveline parts from a ram truck such as the trans and transfer case where the engine has already been robbed. This could save me some money as I'm sure the best way to get the 4 cyl B would be auction block, ebay, or a used diesel supplier. Either way sounds like a step in right direction. At 749 pounds wet the 4 isn't a lightweight , but I don't think it will break the camel's back either.

turbovanmanČ
08-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Its been done, I am sure the web has all the info you need. People put Cummins in everything, GM trucks, Ford has them in there F4 or 500 series HD trucks etc. Its an easy swap because the motors are self contained, all you need is a throttle cable, some power and a fuel line, maybe a fuel pump, :thumb:

dds78910
08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
My friend who is selling the cummins motor, also had another he put in his 79 extended cab long box Ford pickup and it turned out really well. The hardest part was making the motor mounts the wiring was really simple. He had to upgrade to chrome molly rear axle cause he ripped the splines off the original axles.

WickedShelby88
08-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah I'm thinking an upgrade of driveline will be done when I go through with this. Figured it never hurts to ask about it. I think I will do a bit more research into what I need. I was just thinking on the way home tonight about what I should do with the fuel tank situation. I already have a carb tank, but I think I will definitely want to replace the fuel lines etc. before even attempting any kind of diesel pump setup along with a quality inline filter adapter that can use a WIX P/N or equivelent. Exhaust could be tight. Right now the exhaust is too small as it is and doesn't have very many good places to mount. I guess one big long pipe wouldn't hurt anything. Neighbors would love me.

440SCOUT
08-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Ii am interested in that 2wd diesel setup .. i have a 1970 dodge crewcab that is a divorced t-case anyway... i didnt get to meet you when i was in winnemucca last weekend let me know if it is still available i need to sell this blazer then i will have the cash ( he doesnt want to trade for a 72 jimmy does he?)
i would stay away from that 8 3/4 rear i grenaded 4 of those behind the 440 in my powerwagon just use a d60 they are everywhere for almost free..

dds78910
08-02-2007, 08:01 PM
I dont think he wants to trade, I know this cause I tried already. There is going to be some drag races in Winnemucca tomorrow and Saturday you should come check it out.

I can find out for sure this weekend to make sure he still has it and I will let you know.

WVRampage
08-02-2007, 08:30 PM
The divorced NP-205 t case is almost indestructable,and if you can get some dana 60s out of a old ford high boy,it would be awsome.

WickedShelby88
08-03-2007, 12:36 AM
What will the the NP-205 bolt to? My truck currently has a torqueflight? I'm guessing that won't bolt to a cummins in any variation anyhow. I've heard about the NP-205 because thats what I think was in my friends 79 F150. That was one heavy SOB. This thing was a cast iron cased monster. I DONT want 2wd with the might cummins though. The whole point for me to lose my A$$ in fuel economy was to get something that could run in the snow with little problems if I drove it sensibly. Anyone had any experience with the auto locking hubs on an 80's dodge. One of mine sticks and the other won't lock.

440SCOUT
08-03-2007, 08:13 PM
does yours have the vacuum lock hubs or the axle disconnect?? if it has the disconnect you have to switch the axle on the drivers side to a 1 piece and then use a standard warn type hub if it is the vacuum hub i think you can just change it straight to the manual style ... those vacuum ones are always broke ... the early 205 for dodge is divorced so that will work with any engine\trans combo.. the later dodge (80 somethings) only came with the 205 in the 1 ton trucks and were only available with the 727 or the 4 speed manuals... the early cummins came with the 727 but you will probably have to use the output from the earlier truck with the diesel tranny to make the 205 bolt to it...
i am going to a car show at deer park on saturday so i wont make it to winne but if it its still available i would be interested ... i hope to sell that blaze this week with all the extra people in town...
i will try and make the drags at fernley next saturday if your going to be around, i'll be driving a blue big block 69 dart...

WickedShelby88
08-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Can't see anything that would suggest its a vacuum lock. I was told if I repacked the hubs things might start working again. I don't really know anything about this axle disconnect setup. Sounds like I won't be able to use the 727 my RC already has. I can get my dads 400/727 combo from his monaco possibly at some point. Wouldn't the 1 ton trucks with the cummins have a big block style bell or would it be a cummins thing only. Just trying to get more info. I have no idea what interchanges with these things. I was stuck growing up around a bunch of Ford and chevy guys and my dad never owned a truck.
got any pics of the dart. I love those things.

440SCOUT
08-14-2007, 01:19 PM
I DONT HAVE ANY PICS BECAUSE THE ONLY TIME I HAVE, TO BE ON THE INTERNET IS AT WORK...
I LOVE THAT STYLE DART TOO.
I WAS TELLING A FRIEND WHO OWNED A 69 SWINGER 340 THAT I WAS LOOKING FOR ONE. SO HE SOLD ME HIS "PARTS CAR" FOR $100!!
THE ONLY THING MISSING WAS THE FRONT SEATS AND ONE PIECE OF TRIM FROM THE HOOD... NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS STOKED...:thumb: