PDA

View Full Version : window questions...

1 bad day
07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
My driver side window has always been slow down, and takes almost a full minute to go up...it has always been a pain to get down cause it is uneven or whatever and finally died and doesn't move anymore (passenger is fast up and down and is perfect). I was curious if anyone knew if you could still get ALL of the window peices except for the window itself from the dealer? like the track, motor, ect...I called advanced and autozone and they can only get the motor, but I figured since I am going to be ripping off the door trim to get to this, I might as well change everything.

I know, I can call the dealer...but it is 10:15pm, and I was curious...

ShelbyMotorsports
07-31-2007, 11:16 PM
My driver side window has always been slow down, and takes almost a full minute to go up...it has always been a pain to get down cause it is uneven or whatever and finally died and doesn't move anymore (passenger is fast up and down and is perfect). I was curious if anyone knew if you could still get ALL of the window peices except for the window itself from the dealer? like the track, motor, ect...I called advanced and autozone and they can only get the motor, but I figured since I am going to be ripping off the door trim to get to this, I might as well change everything.

I know, I can call the dealer...but it is 10:15pm, and I was curious...

Most parts if not all parts are also available thru the aftermarket in case your dealer strikes out.

1 bad day
08-01-2007, 12:08 AM
but where aftermarket?

1 bad day
08-01-2007, 12:08 AM
autozone and advanced only sell the motor.

bfarroo
08-04-2007, 11:22 AM
First off what car do you have? I've worked on daytona and spirit windows, the daytona uses a plastic gear strip that can be purchased at any parts store in the "help" section and is one size fits all for dodge vehicles that use that system. The spirit uses a scissor type mechanism so unless it's completely broken all you would need is the motor unless the tabs attached to the window that slide in the track at the back are worn/broken. I'm not sure where you would get those.

1 bad day
08-04-2007, 11:49 AM
87 dodge daytona shelby z

JDAWG
08-04-2007, 12:04 PM
your motor may be weak, also the grease on the track can get kind of old and sticky over time. You can get parts at the dealer. I dont think the cost is much different. IIRC the gearstrip is pn 4467214 from the dealership, but if it was broke then it wouldnt be slow, it just wouldnt work, so probably your motor is dying or the track is clogged up with old grease or dirt

1 bad day
08-04-2007, 09:07 PM
alright, well I am gonna take the door panel off when my trip is over on monday and I will post what I find.

LaserXT1986
08-09-2007, 06:42 PM
First off what car do you have? I've worked on daytona and spirit windows, the daytona uses a plastic gear strip that can be purchased at any parts store in the "help" section and is one size fits all for dodge vehicles that use that system. The spirit uses a scissor type mechanism so unless it's completely broken all you would need is the motor unless the tabs attached to the window that slide in the track at the back are worn/broken. I'm not sure where you would get those.

In my opinion, do NOT buy the "HELP" brand piece of sh!t plastic gear strip. It is a CHEAP piece of junk that, if pressed or twisted hard enough during install, will "snap". One of the BIGGEST things that peeves me about this piece is that HELP brand rolls it up. When you try to "smooth it out" for install, it can EASILY snap. Imagine going through the trouble of putting it in, and having it break?

The dealership piece, which as already mention, is part #4467214. It is within $3-4 of what the "HELP" piece costs. It comes from the dealer FLAT, i.e., straightened out. If you compare the dealer, and HELP brands, you can TELL the dealer piece is a much better quality and MUCH more "flexible".

Just trying to save aggravation to someone else, as I had nightmares with the HELP product. For $3 more, I always go to the dealer now. :D

chilort
08-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Also, white lithium spray does wonders. I use this on all kinds of parts, especially window track. Spray then move up and down, spray again, move up, and down, wash, rinse, repeat until you have good coverage. It makes a huge difference.