PDA

View Full Version : TIII head work, who should I use?

minigts
07-30-2007, 06:50 PM
PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMENTS ABOUT VENDORS HERE. I am asking that you PM me with your experiences with any of the main vendors. This is not a thread to bash or praise anyone.

I'm looking for honest opinions and facts about experiences with the vendors as I am going to need my IROC head re-worked.

I have done business with 2 of the three vendors I know of on this site and had good experience both times, but this is very important and I want to make sure I make the right decision.

I would ask, if you would, to simply state PM sent if you would like to reply to the thread.

Thanks for understanding,

minigts

And if anyone wants to point out vendors that do the work, that would good for any of us interested.

minigts
08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
I'd like to bump this thread and ask for anyone who has had work done on a TIII head to let me know the outcome you have had with head work, good or bad. I also, again, ask you email me or PM me just so I can get an idea of who to use.

Thanks in advance,

minigts

minigts@gmail.com

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 04:09 PM
What exactly are you looking for and we can go from there. IE, porting, valve work, welding etc.

minigts
08-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Well not exactly sure what is wrong with the head. I do know the car is over heating, but most of the time only when the RPM's are kept up or if you gunning it.

We did a block test or I think it was called a combustion leak test and it turned up positive. Which meant that the chamber is or was leaking combusted gas into the cooling system and this told me and my friend who administered the test that there was a crack in the head. After inspecting the head from removal there were some deposits of burnt coolant (I know what that looks like). However, I couldn't see where it was leaking or any obvious cracks. Not sure if the crack is in the combustion area or in the intake or exhaust runners.

So what I need to do is have someone assess what is wrong and "clean" it up by fixing the potential problems. I'm trying to have the car restored back to a stock IROC R/T so I can have a clean collectible car.

Hope that makes sense.

1FastCSX289
08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
:) PM sent.

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Gotcha, PM sent.

Turbo Joe
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
oh yea, i sent a pm as well..

iTurbo
08-22-2007, 07:16 PM
PM sent.

minigts
08-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the information so far everyone. This is helping me to figure out what I should do for the head I need work for. Please send me a PM if you haven't already as I'm still interested in experiences to make my determination.

And as I mentioned, I AM NOT sharing the good or the bad with anyone, or names for that matter. This is strictly off the record, so to speak. ;)

Directconnection
08-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Well not exactly sure what is wrong with the head. I do know the car is over heating, but most of the time only when the RPM's are kept up or if you gunning it.

We did a block test or I think it was called a combustion leak test and it turned up positive. Which meant that the chamber is or was leaking combusted gas into the cooling system and this told me and my friend who administered the test that there was a crack in the head. After inspecting the head from removal there were some deposits of burnt coolant (I know what that looks like). However, I couldn't see where it was leaking or any obvious cracks. Not sure if the crack is in the combustion area or in the intake or exhaust runners.

So what I need to do is have someone assess what is wrong and "clean" it up by fixing the potential problems. I'm trying to have the car restored back to a stock IROC R/T so I can have a clean collectible car.

Hope that makes sense.

Not sure I am following you... but there is a special chemical/dye they put into your coolant that tunrs a certain color to indicate combustion contaminate (sp?) into the cooling system. This means that you have a headgasket leaking putting combustion into the cooling system, not meaning the head is cracked.

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Not sure I am following you... but there is a special chemical/dye they put into your coolant that tunrs a certain color to indicate combustion contaminate (sp?) into the cooling system. This means that you have a headgasket leaking putting combustion into the cooling system, not meaning the head is cracked.

I believe he did that but I think he's thinking the worst. If he saw deposits in the chamber, could have cracked around the valve seat like mine did.

minigts
08-22-2007, 10:38 PM

Well this is true. It could be a leaking head gasket and I did take that into consideration, but there wasn't anything that gave me that impression when I pulled the head. Granted, it may not always be obvious but with these heads, as Simon says (no pun intended), I assumed the worst. And with the possibility it is the head and not the gasket and given the history of these heads, I would just assume send it to someone and have them clean it up and check for problems. Worst case before unusable, I get any cracks fixed and cleaned up for a clean re-worked head. Best case, no cracks, still gets cleaned up and it's ready to put back on.