PDA

View Full Version : Is It Worth The Energy And Cost?

85LEBARON
07-29-2007, 08:23 PM
I have cleaned the block and noticed that number three cylinder has a vertical score, as if a ring broke at some time. My intention was to rebuild this motor for my Daytona but now I am wondering if it is worth the expense because there will definitely be some problems down the road. If I get a year out of it then at least I will have time to find another block and rebuild that. I do have three T1 engines one of which is from an 85 Charger. Would I be better off using that and putting all the new components into it?
I am attaching pics:
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/85lebaron/?action=view&current=egnineblock001.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/85lebaron/egnineblock003.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/85lebaron/egnineblock004.jpg

Aries_Turbo
07-29-2007, 09:54 PM
id do an overbore and oversize pistons.

Brian

jay
07-29-2007, 10:31 PM
IDK that almost looks like a crack cause it goes past the "ridge" as the piston doesn't travel all the way to the top

Aries_Turbo
07-30-2007, 12:39 AM
maybe it was from a piece of debris caught between the piston and the wall above the top ring.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Thats definately scored, also, look at the taper. If your in a rush, use it but it will have a bit of blowby and burn oil. Better to use the other blocks or rebore it.

85LEBARON
07-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the input. I had not thought of reboring it so I will check that route as well as take apart the Charger motor and see what kind of shape that is in.

2.216VTurbo
07-30-2007, 03:40 AM
id do an overbore and oversize pistons. Made of money now Brian? I had a wrist pin clip let go
:) and go missing on my Shelby Lancer, ran that car for 3-4 months like that. Still pulled hard too, before teardown compression was like 130 130 130 60 The divot in the cylinder wall from the pin walking over and making contact was like 1/16th deep! your little scratch is nothing.

In a perfect world, rebuild it, in the TD world, RUN THAT THING

John B
07-30-2007, 06:05 AM
It may hone out if it's not too deep. Machine shops USED to be able to knurl piston skirts to take up a few thou too much clearance, but you might have to look around for that nowdays.

Aries_Turbo
07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Made of money now Brian? I had a wrist pin clip let go
:) and go missing on my Shelby Lancer, ran that car for 3-4 months like that. Still pulled hard too, before teardown compression was like 130 130 130 60 The divot in the cylinder wall from the pin walking over and making contact was like 1/16th deep! your little scratch is nothing.

In a perfect world, rebuild it, in the TD world, RUN THAT THING

naaah im not made of money at all. I just pull the motor and drive one of my other cars while I save to fix something like that. patience. ;)

Brian

85LEBARON
07-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to rebore it but this leaves me with a brand new set of Wiseco pistons 20 over which I will use rebuilding the Charger motor. I just hope I don't have to wait another 6 months for the order to be filled. I took the head off my Lebaron and there is some indication that the head gasket has blown so there go another two weeks while I get the head shaved and back together. With the way this weather is changing I will have my vert ready for the fall.