PDA

View Full Version : Turning Engine Over by Hand

iBorg
07-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Well today I finally cracked open the hood on my XT. A ton of debris but thankfully no rust seems apparent. EVERYTHING needs cleaned. Anyway, I pulled the plugs an pored Marve Mystery Oil down each cylinder. I intent to let it sit until the middle of next week. Before I try to start is I anticipate doing the types of things you do at a tune up such as oil, plugs and the like.

Okay, here's my dumb question of the day, how best to turn over the engine with it still in the car?

Thanks,

Mike

GLHSKEN
07-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt. Then swap to a 1/2" ratchet

overlordsshadow
07-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Agreed. Make sure to go with the bolts tightening rotation.

iBorg
07-27-2007, 06:01 PM
I found the bolt on the crankshaft, it feels like a 15mm or 17mm. It holds on the bottom pulley. Is it really strong enough to rotate the motor. Last dumb question, I pull the bar toward me (in other words the threads are conventional).

Folks, if you keep on holding my hand, it might run before my fourth grader is in high school.

Mike

t3rse
07-27-2007, 07:03 PM
if it's an older car (at least my car) it is .5 inch, very close to 13 but can strip with the slightly larger metric. take the plugs out and it shouldn't be very hard to rotate and yes the bolt will hold, if you need to go very minute amounts you can stick a screw driver down the timing window on the tranny and pry the starter teeth to turn it slowly when timing.