PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

LowSL2
07-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Was replacing the tensioner pulley today and found some coolant leaking from the back of the block on the passenger side. And then found some evidence of coolant leaking from the back of the block on the drivers side.

Yay.... :banghead:

But on the plus side, Goodyear Gatorback Idler pulley #49038 is a direct replacement for the TIII tensioner pulley. $19.99. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
07-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I would venture a guess at a head gasket or the block is cracked or both. If memory serves, you have had issues with blowing coolant out of the rad, right?

LowSL2
07-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Did some more investigation. There's so much gunk on the back of the block I can't tell where the coolant is coming from... I'm going to assume that it's coming from the head gasket. The head gasket was replaced less than 4K miles ago by the previous owner's "mechanic" (76 station). I'm going to assume the little freeze plugs on the head weren't replaced or eliminated. And going to assume that they didn't have an FSM to do it all the right way.

Scottmon
08-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Did some more investigation. There's so much gunk on the back of the block I can't tell where the coolant is coming from... I'm going to assume that it's coming from the head gasket. The head gasket was replaced less than 4K miles ago by the previous owner's "mechanic" (76 station). I'm going to assume the little freeze plugs on the head weren't replaced or eliminated. And going to assume that they didn't have an FSM to do it all the right way.

Check the core plugs on the back of the block. If someone ran a weak antifreeze mixture in there long enough the plugs will rust out from the inside.

RJ138
08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Isn't there two exhaust manifold studs that enter the cooling passages? Could that be it?

RJ138
08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
But on the plus side, Goodyear Gatorback Idler pulley #49038 is a direct replacement for the TIII tensioner pulley. $19.99. :thumb:

Is this for the timing belt?

Scottmon
08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Is this for the timing belt?

Serpentine belt

RJ138
08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Serpentine belt

Thats what I figured but thought I would ask since the timing belt tensioner pulley is of a more specific design and would kick --- to have a cheap replacement.:nod:

Scottmon
08-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Thats what I figured but thought I would ask since the timing belt tensioner pulley is of a more specific design and would kick --- to have a cheap replacement.:nod:

Cindy told me they might look into having that part repro'd, only option now is used or NOS if you can find it...

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2007, 08:09 PM
I have a few pulleys kicking around the shop from other makes and models. When I put mine together, I will try different ones and see what I can find, ;)