PDA

View Full Version : Early CTD Ram, worth getting?

Turbodave
07-26-2007, 06:09 PM
There is an 89 2wd regular cab dually for sale locally.

Truck is in good shape, no major dents, good rubber and decent interior. Paint has a a few scratches and is faded a little, but it's still a very presentable truck overall. Two-tone silver/grey with a red interior, power windows, locks etc..

It has a 111k miles on it and they are asking $3200 obo.

I've wanted a diesel ram for a while, but I'm on the fence about this one, it's a nice shape truck, I'm sure it's worth the price (especially if I can obo it down to $2500). The thing that tuned me off is the fact that it's a non-intercooled truck with an automatic, the least desireable Cummins drivetrain in my mind. That and I'm pretty sure it's the 3 spd auto being an 89.

So is this thing going to be a rough riding pig that won't get out of it's own way and tops out at 60mph? I typically only tow a single place trailer so I know it's overkill from a suspension and towing capability perspective, just don't want to get a truck I can't live with. I've pretty much talked myself out of it already, and I'm hoping to hold out for a 99 extended cab dually that belongs to a friend of a friend, but just wanted some opinions on the early trucks.

BadAssPerformance
07-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeha, dont buy it... where is it at? ;)

Clay
07-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Dave, I would see if you can test drive it. I love the 80s rams, but my only complaint is cab size on the std. cab trucks. Now, if you have never driven a 94+, you wont miss it, but since I know you have a 94+ truck, you should really sit in that one before you buy it.

I want a 92 or 93 Diesel, but it has to be a club cab or no go for me.

ShadowFromHell
07-27-2007, 01:08 AM
3200 is a STEAL for that truck if it is even iin decent shape with those miles. I paid 2400 for my BEAT 90 4x4 that has 300k+ on it. Also dont worry about the non-ic setup. Most who have drove both the IC and non IC 1g's say the non ic truck is more responsive. I love driving mine, so much tourqe! They ride rough, and the cabin is cramped but I am 6 foot 6 and fit fine. 3200 for a diesel truck is CHEAP.

buy it!

raccoon
07-27-2007, 05:42 AM
I don't know how it is in Illinois but in Ontario if you have a dully you need to have it inspected every year and you have to stop at those safety check stations for big rigs if they flag you down. plus much higher insurance for dually s.

just something else to look into.

Turbodave
07-27-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't know how it is in Illinois but in Ontario if you have a dully you need to have it inspected every year and you have to stop at those safety check stations for big rigs if they flag you down. plus much higher insurance for dually s.

just something else to look into.

in IL that all depends upon what class of plate you have on the truck. A "B" plate like I have on the rampage or my 1/2 ton is good for I think up to 16,000 GCVWR, which is also what my drivers license is good for.

I could put a B plate on a dually, I just would have to stay under that load range, which wouldn't be a problem since I'm typically hauling lightweight cars.

If I got a heaiver rated plate then I would also need to get a CDL (commercial drivers license) to go with it. Then I would need to get the truck inspected and all that stuff.

GLHS592
07-27-2007, 12:31 PM
I have a 1990 D-350 2wd dually. It is a good truck. If a truck will accelerate uphill pulling my Shelby Charger, then it has enough power for me. Yes, it will do that. It is as reliable as the sun and can take a beating.

I have driven it on rough Kentucky, Alabama, and Ohio interstates. It absolutely beat me to death. If I drive it for an hour or so, my lower back will kill me due to the seats being so uncomfortable.

I am looking for a 1998 or newer Quad cab truck because I'm just plain tired of my 1990 regular cab. For the money, you can't beat the truck you are looking at. I have experience with them, so for me, I would pass for a newer truck.

Turbodave
07-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I have a 1990 D-350 2wd dually. It is a good truck. If a truck will accelerate uphill pulling my Shelby Charger, then it has enough power for me. Yes, it will do that. It is as reliable as the sun and can take a beating.

I have driven it on rough Kentucky, Alabama, and Ohio interstates. It absolutely beat me to death. If I drive it for an hour or so, my lower back will kill me due to the seats being so uncomfortable.

I am looking for a 1998 or newer Quad cab truck because I'm just plain tired of my 1990 regular cab. For the money, you can't beat the truck you are looking at. I have experience with them, so for me, I would pass for a newer truck.

Thanks for your input Kevin, this truck did remind of the one you've got, and I've heard you talk about yours before. Your experience is similar to what I rememeber of my friend's 90 dually as well.

I've currently got a 2wd 96 Ram 1500 with a 5.2/automatic drivetrain. I've towed everything from Omni's to a 56 International 1 1/2 ton dump truck. IL is a flat state so I don't have too many hills to worry about and the 318 has done fine for me so far. I bought the truck new and have 155k miles on it now. I've been religious about maintenance on the truck, the engine oil is changed with fresh mobil 1 10/30 every 3-5k miles, the trans is flushed every fall, and the diff oil is changed at the same time. I've got a big trans cooler on it and a set of air bags on the rear springs to help level things when I'm hauling a bed full of tools and towing a nose heavy fwd car on the trailer. My truck is starting to show it's age with a rust bubble on the rear fender lip, worn driver seat and a loose front end but if I replace it I want something that's an upgrade and just as useful, which I can't imagine having the 89 1-ton and then selling my 96. There's only room for 1 pickup in my life and after thinking about things a nice 3/4 ton is really what I need. But for now I'll replace the steering box in my truck and drive it a few more years, hopefully to 200k miles. Then my wife's car will be paid off and I can get a newer truck with a payment.

If anyone is interested in the 89 dually, let me know and I'll get you the phone# of the seller. It does look like a decent truck, just not really what I'm looking for.

Vigo
07-28-2007, 11:56 AM
ive driven several of the bigger early CTD trucks with the 518 auto and from what i can tell... they all SUCK when stock. moving away from a stop, they were seriously the slowest thing ive ever driven, slower than 1.5/auto hyundais and kias by far. they've been 3/4 ton single cab long bed 4wd auto, ext. cab long bed 4wd auto, ext cab long bed 2wd auto, maybe thats it.

i drove a single cab long bed 4wd with a stick, non ic, and it was about a million percent better. that one was actually slightly entertaining, once you got into 3rd and let the torque push you along it moved decent, and the first 2 gears were so short i was complaining about that instead of the lack of movement.

if i could buy one of the lighter versions with a stick, i would do it. i also wouldnt worry much about the intercooler. it would be easy to convert, and you might find you'd be happy with an injection setup of some sort as well.

price sounds good but if its an auto my experience is that they are slower than a semi off the line and turbo lag is counted in LONG seconds.

Mom'sTurboVan
07-28-2007, 03:45 PM
do it, any year Cummins is awesome.

ShadowFromHell
07-29-2007, 11:37 AM
vigo, I dont know what CTD's youve been driving, but I have a 90 4wd auto and it is no slouch! All stock other then a removed airbox and removed muffler. I can stand on it leaving a stop light and half the time it will break the tires loose. Hell, I pulled a local b18 crx tell 40mph.

I cant imagine how much fun to drive my truck would be if I cranked the pump up!

WickedShelby88
08-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Hey Dave, not only will you get better fuel mileage but you will get a truck that I can guarantee has the potential for at least the engine to go 500k. I know of a guy who lives in indiana who's go an old cummins like this and its got over 300k on it. The last time I checked a cummins truck would out accelerate a gas truck any day. I drove a 94 and it would just move. Granted that was an intercooled truck, but still. Its funny you find the truck I've always wanted, but a ram charger falls in my lap.. Doh!