PDA

View Full Version : Pulled head off to replace gasket. Lots of slop in the pistons.

Darkwolf
02-05-2006, 05:46 PM
and nice clanky sounds when you move them back and forth in the bores. Guess I'am pulling the shortblock out for a rebuild. Just what I wanted to do in the middle of February and into March in my uninsulated garage bleh.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Yeah, sounds pretty loose. Was your engine noisey?

Darkwolf
02-06-2006, 03:59 AM
Yeah, sounds pretty loose. Was your engine noisey?

Kind of like a diesel :). I was really hoping it was a lifter but I always thought it was piston slap. Oh and to top it off I don't even see anything wrong with my headgasket ahhhh.

Just did a quick price check on fwdperformance and came to $1200 before maching work or any tools I might need if I go forged and stage 5 calibration which is what I woud like to do. I've already blown a little over $300 on the damn head too. May just leave it in the garage for another 2 months untill it starts to warm up a bit to mess with it anymore.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2006, 04:08 AM
Kind of like a diesel :). I was really hoping it was a lifter but I always thought it was piston slap. Oh and to top it off I don't even see anything wrong with my headgasket ahhhh.

Just did a quick price check on fwdperformance and came to $1200 before maching work or any tools I might need if I go forged and stage 5 calibration which is what I woud like to do. I've already blown a little over $300 on the damn head too. May just leave it in the garage for another 2 months untill it starts to warm up a bit to mess with it anymore.

Guess you found your problem, :p

Look at the bright side, at least your head is all redone, :thumb:

supercrackerbox
02-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Something worth trying- does your garage have a complete ceiling or is it just rafters? With bare rafters- Go to McDonalds or somewhere and raid their cardboard dumpsters (they're usually willing to let you) and literally make a ceiling. Or even if you have a ceiling and an attic, cover the access holes. Does wonders for heat retention and makes a small heater seem ten times better. Do the same for windows or any other drafts.:thumb:

Darkwolf
02-06-2006, 05:27 PM
I have a weird roof setup which would make it hard to insulate even with cardboard :). Might look in to it anyway though. I am going to pick up one of the local free to post adds classifieds tomorrow and what kind of heaters are in there.

cordes
02-06-2006, 05:58 PM
I have a weird roof setup which would make it hard to insulate even with cardboard :). Might look in to it anyway though. I am going to pick up one of the local free to post adds classifieds tomorrow and what kind of heaters are in there.

With the cost of most utilities these days, I would try to find a wood burning stove. Or better yet, make one, it's the TM way!

Darkwolf
02-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Well I could set the van on fire. That would solve all my problems ;).

giftedmopar
02-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Hopefully that piston slap hasn't resulted in cylinders to far gone to bore. How long has it run like that?

shelbyplaya
02-06-2006, 07:57 PM

you could spend ALOT more, believe me!

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2006, 09:27 PM
A great cheap heater are those Propane heaters. I have one that goes on my 12lb propane tank, if you let it, it would kill you from heat stroke, :thumb:

EDIT-brain farting, is it 12lb or 20lb tank, the small BBQ ones??????

cordes
02-06-2006, 09:50 PM
A great cheap heater are those Propane heaters. I have one that goes on my 12lb propane tank, if you let it, it would kill you from heat stroke, :thumb:

EDIT-brain farting, is it 12lb or 20lb tank, the small BBQ ones??????

I wallways thought the gas grill ones were 5lb. tanks.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I wallways thought the gas grill ones were 5lb. tanks.

No, those small green ones are 2lbs, I think, lol!

cordes
02-06-2006, 10:20 PM
No, those small green ones are 2lbs, I think, lol!

Looks like they are 20lb. tanks by my google search I just did.

Darkwolf
02-07-2006, 01:34 AM
I can still see all the cross hatching so I doubt its done to much damage to the block but I have a spare one if it did.

I have an old kerosene heater in the garage now but below 45 degrees it really doesn't do much. I'd really like to get a kerosene torpedo heater and just use that to warm the place up and then turn it off and use the other one to keep it from cooling back down to quickly. I am worry that the propane heaters will cost to much to run but its been a long time since I noticed how much one of those tanks goes for. I can run my kerosene heater for 8 hours + or - on $2 of diesel.

cordes
02-07-2006, 10:04 PM
I can still see all the cross hatching so I doubt its done to much damage to the block but I have a spare one if it did.

I have an old kerosene heater in the garage now but below 45 degrees it really doesn't do much. I'd really like to get a kerosene torpedo heater and just use that to warm the place up and then turn it off and use the other one to keep it from cooling back down to quickly. I am worry that the propane heaters will cost to much to run but its been a long time since I noticed how much one of those tanks goes for. I can run my kerosene heater for 8 hours + or - on $2 of diesel.

For $2 that would be pretty hard to beat. The propane tanks cost near $20 to fill around here these days. I don't think you will get 10x the use out of it.