PDA

View Full Version : wheres a good place to get window/door lock assemblys?

1 bad day
07-26-2007, 02:57 AM
I am new to the turbo dodge community and before I start modding my car, I wanted to get everything going smooth with it and fix all the odds and ends since I bought a really nice rust free & good paint daytona. My thing is this.

My driveside window rolls down fine, but rolls up slow as hell, my passenger window works fast in both directions. Door lock wise, my power door locks do not work, driveside door will only lock/unlock with the key, the lock inside has no pressure into it and turns freely, while the passengerside won't lock/unlock from the key, but will lock/unlock from inside.

So basically, I was thinking just replace all the door locks and the window motor for the driveside, also the driveside window is a little off track, so adjust it also. I just didn't know where would be a good place to get these peices new, if they are still offered.

EDIT: car is a 1987 Daytona Shelby Z

MiniMopar
07-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Chances are that the locks are fine but that the rods popped-out. My 86 Daytona had the most messed-up lock assemblies and door that I have yet seen in a TD. It was all repairable though, once I figured-out the problem. Take a close look at where the latch engages the striker bolt. Is that top of the latch hammered-out and mushroomed? If so, it means that the door hinge bushings are worn and the door is bouncing off the striker.

Little plastic clips hold the rods to the lock assembly. You can find replacement clips in the "Help!" section of your auto parts store. What they carry tends to vary, so you might have to shop around or have them ordered.

As for the windows, it usually an alignment issue and the windows is getting ----ed as it goes up. G/J bodies have a guide bar that keeps the glass centered as it moves. There are plastic bushings in these and one was broken on mine. Also, the "fuzz" on the brake shoe things that control the movement of the glass wears off and the rubber under it starts to grab the glass. You can remove them, bend the end so a different part is contacting the glass and reinstall.

I did a combination of all these things and it took a while. But now the windows are nice and smooth and the doors open and close like new.

1 bad day
07-26-2007, 03:09 PM
thanks man, I will try those out.