PDA

View Full Version : external wastegates on tIII's

mark
07-25-2007, 11:29 AM
is anyone here, running a external wastegate?
What is the uaual recommended boost level for switching from an internal to an external?

the reason I ask is, I am running 22+ pounds, and I have a 2.5 exhaust, catless and muffler less. running an internal wastegate... Ive eben talking to some local evo owners who asked why im not running a external. then I asked why switch? One of them said that if I went with an external unit, and had an open dump, it would be equivalent of a 3.0+" exhaust and keeping the 2.5" on, because the volume of the dump tube is not being pushed into the exhaust, thus freeing up airspace that is used by an internal unit, or an external that flows back into the exhaust.. this makes sense but im wondering what all your takes are on this...

mark
07-25-2007, 11:30 AM
oh, and if you have any pics of your ext wg, please let me see them.

turbododgeglh
07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
my r/t T3/T4 60 Trim and a 38MM Tial Wastegate

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/roadkill748/DSC03862.jpg

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2007, 12:22 PM
I will have pics when I am done, running a Deltagate II and 3 inch exhaust right off the housing, :thumb:

How is compressor surge or ? with the 60 trim turbo? What boost are you running with it?

8valves
07-25-2007, 12:33 PM
is anyone here, running a external wastegate?
What is the uaual recommended boost level for switching from an internal to an external?

the reason I ask is, I am running 22+ pounds, and I have a 2.5 exhaust, catless and muffler less. running an internal wastegate... Ive eben talking to some local evo owners who asked why im not running a external. then I asked why switch? One of them said that if I went with an external unit, and had an open dump, it would be equivalent of a 3.0+" exhaust and keeping the 2.5" on, because the volume of the dump tube is not being pushed into the exhaust, thus freeing up airspace that is used by an internal unit, or an external that flows back into the exhaust.. this makes sense but im wondering what all your takes are on this...

All true points. There was an old DSM test back in the day that showed a 30 WHP gain from an internal gate routed through the exhaust to an externally dumped external gate.

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2007, 12:37 PM
All true points. There was an old DSM test back in the day that showed a 30 WHP gain from an internal gate routed through the exhaust to an externally dumped external gate.

Wow, thats really interesting. I am doing it so I don't have to plumb yet another wastegate can, :(

mark
07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
cool, when I switch to the 63 housing i have on my shelf... i am going external!

8valves
07-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Wow, thats really interesting. I am doing it so I don't have to plumb yet another wastegate can, :(

Yeah, I tried to tell people about it years ago but everyone called me a liar pretty much. :rolleyes: That was way back when before this board existed.

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I tried to tell people about it years ago but everyone called me a liar pretty much. :rolleyes: That was way back when before this board existed.

Liar, liar, :lol:

Have a link or something, would be cool to see the before and after dyno sheets. I bet the boost was more stable also.

TurboGLH
07-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Liar, liar, :lol:

Have a link or something, would be cool to see the before and after dyno sheets. I bet the boost was more stable also.

Here's one showing the difference between and external dump and and external recirc.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315402&highlight=dump+vs+recirc

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks, I remember reading that a long time ago.

BTW, answer my 60 trim question in Franks thread will yah, :thumb:

Mario
08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
my r/t T3/T4 60 Trim and a 38MM Tial Wastegate

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/roadkill748/DSC03862.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture, but are you running the TiAL off of the stock manifold? If so, do you have any better pictures of it? I'd like to go to an external so I can put my GT30R on, but it's probably going to be a bit until I can get a header fabbed.

HOLY OLD THREAD FOR THE PERSON BELOW ME.

turbovanmanČ
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Mario, check out what I did, its better than putting the gate on a stock manifold.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16425&page=19

Mario
08-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Lol, like I don't know that trick. I even sold you your old .63 housing and downpipe! I have a spare manifold around. Thought if someone else had run an external gate on one I'd try my hand at it as a temporary set-up. Ideally I'm going to the dyno, going to max it out on the 72's and the 50 trim, then go to a GT3076R, Header, and better cooler and call it a car. I'm going to run the WG off the header though....not the Exh housing.

turbovanmanČ
08-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Lol, like I don't know that trick. I even sold you your old .63 housing and downpipe! I have a spare manifold around. Thought if someone else had run an external gate on one I'd try my hand at it as a temporary set-up. Ideally I'm going to the dyno, going to max it out on the 72's and the 50 trim, then go to a GT3076R, Header, and better cooler and call it a car. I'm going to run the WG off the header though....not the Exh housing.

DOH!!!

Wow, total brain fart there, lol!

bansheenut420
08-08-2009, 03:55 AM
My external setup. Rock solid boost. Very happy with it.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj95/bansheenut420/Picture016.jpg