PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know much about nissan sentras?

TurboII
07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
well im not new to turbo dodges but im new to nissan. My question is i bought a nissan sentra 93 fro 350 bucks off my buddy. Cra runs great the only down fall is 230,000 miles but i can live with that. what i want to know when the times come for putting in a new engine can i drop a 1.8 spec v engine with out having to modify much I.E Wiring harness, mounts etc.

Thank you
Joey

dds78910
07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Does it have the SR20DE motor (SE-R 2.0 liter DOHC) motor? If so I would keep that motor.

TurboII
07-23-2007, 08:37 PM
know i wish but its only a 1.6 liter

ShelGame
07-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Not sure what a 1.8 SpecV motor is. There was only one 1.8, and it wasn't anything special. The Spec-V's all got the 2.5L 4-cyl. But, that's much later and not likely to be an easy swap. If you swap anything into it, it should be a SR20. Should be pretty straight forward, that's what the early 90's SE-R's came with (same body). Not to mention the 200sx, and the Infiniti G20.

On a side note, you can still buy a Nissan with that same body in Mexco - new! It's called the Tsuru, they use them for Taxi's...

Wes85L
07-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Here's my experience with this car fwiw. I have a '94 Sentra as a daily driver. It has been really reliable. It's very comfortable, auto tranny, a/c, no sunroof, no power options except side mirrors. So it is very light but unfortunately has the 1.6L and is very weak. It slows down a good 10+ miles an hour going up a big hill; have to take the overdrive off for halfway decent power at any time. I'm sure the 132k or so miles on orig. engine doesn't help. But I didn't buy it for performance, just would be nice if it had more oomph. It also gets great mileage which is another big plus. The one annoying issue that I'm having now is the dash lights aren't on at night so I can't see the speedo, a/c & heater controls, or radio. The other, the idle does pretty much what both my tm's have done. It surges, mostly coming to a stop fast the idle will go way down almost stalling or in some cases I have stalled from braking 'too hard'. Fuel pump? Idle air control?

As to your car I'm sure the 2.0 would be much improvement. Even for mine I'm sure it would be. I'm not about to do an engine swap. I've thought about it, but I save the performance mods for my charger.

TurboII
07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
what would i need to do to swap a 2.0 from a 1.6 is their anything major that i would need to worry about.

looneytuner
07-24-2007, 07:43 PM
The one annoying issue that I'm having now is the dash lights aren't on at night so I can't see the speedo, a/c & heater controls, or radio.

That usually means you have no tail lights also.:nod:

TurboII
07-25-2007, 04:25 PM
whats the differents between the two engine 1.8 and 2.0 and i know the strock is different but what about extrnally. Heads, intske manny, alternater, harness etc.

Wes85L
07-25-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't know, ask here: http://www.nissanforums.com/sentra-pulsar-nx-b14-200sx/

JeremyL
07-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't have much experience with the older Sentras except for the one a friend of mine had. It was a good, reliable car from what I remember.

Now, with the newer ones I have a bit more experience. A really good friend of mine has a Spec-V with Maxima VQ35 V6 swapped into it. Total sleeper & damn fast.

Aries_Turbo
07-25-2007, 06:26 PM
the stock motor is a GA16... it sucks but at least its better than the E16 that I had in my 88 sentra in HS.

you can do a SR20DE swap from a 91-94 sentra SE-R but youll have to get the wiring harness, trans and possibly the axles and shifter. basically get a rusted out/beat body SE-R parts car or know a good junkyard.

You prolly can use a B14 200SX SE-R setup but I dont know if that would be a bolt in like the 91-94 sentra.

the QR25 from the current SE-R specV is going to take some considerable fabwork compared to the B13 sentra stuff (91-94)

I still want a B12 car again and a E15T turbo setup just for nostalgia reasons. the trannies in those cars were junk though for power/abuse handling. i went through 3 on my 88. good thing i could walk out of the JY with a trans and used clutch for 75$ at the time lol.

Brian

shelbypart
07-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Own both a 92 sentra se-r and a 96 200sx se-r both aren't all that fast but are a blast to drive. The gentlemen with the dash lights and most likely tail light harness problem-- I have had probloms blowing fuses (which you probably have) and dim tail lights ect with both cars. Check the grounds back there both of mine were loose. The GA16DE motor sucks --- but gets like 35mpg:) If you wanted to transplant an SR20DE in you would need to do lots of work and need a good parts source. If I were you I would clean this one up a bit flip it and buy a sentra or 200sx se-r. Very nice examples can be had for under 3000 and you get tons of nice options like comfy seats, leather steering wheel, 4 wheel disc, v lsd diff, ect. As was stated sentra se-r, Infiniti G20, 200sx se-r, 95-98 4 door sentra SE, and NX 2000 all have sr20 powered. 94 and older 5 speeds have a bad 5th gear pop out prob and 98 don't have lsd. There is a kit to fix the pop out for iirc like 130 at the stealerships. Pretty much all is diff between 1.6/8 and 2.0 cars even AC, alt, waterpump. If you start going thru mods remember trans blow up at 200 whp like clockwork. Let me know if you need any other advice.

dds78910
07-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I think on the 200sx with the sr20de moter, the intake manifold was a little differnet than the the motors that were in the 91-94 se-r and were rated for a little less HP. Also the 91-94 se-r has 4.10 final drive ratios.:thumb:

shelbypart
07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
If I recall right it is the same manifold but there are two heads a low port and high port. The intake manifold mounts lower on the low part head and the high port flows a tiny bit better.

Wes85L
07-26-2007, 08:46 PM
The gentlemen with the dash lights and most likely tail light harness problem-- I have had probloms blowing fuses (which you probably have) and dim tail lights ect with both cars. Check the grounds back there both of mine were loose.

From what I read on the Nissan forum it is the dimmer switch that is bad. Others had the same exact problem and replacing it was the fix. It was working intermittently until recently the lights won't come on at all. And my taillights are working. I got worried for a moment thinking maybe I had been driving with no taillights. :D

One other issue it has is if the fuel tank is around a 1/4 or less and I go around a corner it sometimes dies, and not even at high speed. Maybe fuel pump or filter?

Aries_Turbo
07-27-2007, 01:52 AM
i believe that the 91 was the high port and thats it in the US. 92 could be included but im not sure.

Brian