PDA

View Full Version : How fast are Evos?

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Just curious how fast Evos are supposed to be, and what is the easy way to
tell them apart? The one I saw today was red with a big square wing and a
slightly pointy nose... and it was not that quick ;)

Oh, and I heard a new excuse... Something like, "but your car is probably much lighter, this one is over 4000lb!" ...LOL, a Shadow has 1/2 the hp right?... whatever, showed him twice :thumb:

SoCalCSX
07-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Your basic lancer evo...

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-quarter-mile-times.htm says they go mid 13's stock

Clay
07-22-2007, 05:47 PM
at our local track there was a guy I know going mid 8s (1/8th mile) in a lightly modded Evo8. So thats around low 13s.

and something cool I learned about them that night.... they have an adjustable launch controller (RPM) from the factory!

raccoon
07-22-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/editorial_images/non_imported/mitsubishi_lancer_evo_rear.jpg

I would look for the little air diffuser on the top of the rear window.

from what ive heard and seen real evo owners remove and sell the wing to lancer owners.

Dave
07-22-2007, 06:16 PM
For the most common drivers from a dig theyll move to mid to high 13's. If they can launch/drive they can go low 13's. They don't weigh 4,000lbs. Maybe 3,400 because of the added differential and transfer case.

dds78910
07-22-2007, 06:28 PM
I agree with Bryan, there is no way that car weighs 4000 lbs.

GLHNSLHT2
07-22-2007, 06:41 PM
even without the wing it's easy to tell an evo from a regular lancer. And those small aero "foils" on top of the roof are only on the MR model.

raccoon
07-22-2007, 06:48 PM
so what do all the evo's have? bbs wheels and bremo brakes?

boneyardracing
07-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Evo Rs: 5spd, no wing, no defusers, 5 spoke 17" wheel, no a/c or radio
Evo 9: 6spd, wing 5 spoke 17" wheel
Evo SE: looks like MR, mechanicly identical to 9
Evo MR: BBS 17" wheel, defusers, MR badges

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Your basic lancer evo...

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-quarter-mile-times.htm says they go mid 13's stock

Looked just like that one but bright red. So Evo 8?

First time from a roll, I tapped the throttle, then saw hm go, then hit it and drove around and walked away from him while I spun thru 2nd and a little in third..

Second time was at a light that we chatted at. We both kinda bogged off the line, I didnt her him rev it like he was going to launch so I didnt think he wanted any more. We both roll out then both go, by the time I hit 3rd there were a good 4-5 cars on him

:D

GLHNSLHT2
07-22-2007, 07:34 PM
they only put 240hp to the ground. it's all in the launch.

JDAWG
07-22-2007, 08:24 PM
pick on the wrong guy and they will hand your --- to you, kinda like the other month I kept punching it next to a civic with a fart can, yea well i was reading his liscense plate, he was cool though we pulled over, he had a t3/t4 hybrid, we talked for a while

Directconnection
07-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm sure some evos run 13s, but last time at NED, most of them ran mid 14s at well under 100mph...mopre like 97 or so. At my local 1/8th mile, they run high 8's like 8.8 or 8.9 stock at what I seem to remember was 79-80mph.

Just like the SRT-4s... driver and fluke car make a difference. I have seen a stock spirit r/t lay down 220whp and a stock IROC R/T with nothing more than slight exhaust make 185-ish on the same day at the same dyno.

show-off
07-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I have a buddy here in SC that has a stock turbo w/ alky injection, FMIC & other mods to support the 30psi he is running. I was surprised when he kept up with the Shelby & the Viper when we were going to a car meet.

They can be very fast! Other buddy has a 600 All whp Evo so watch who you pick on!! lol

JDAWG
07-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Dont disregard the Evo, remember they also built th 3000gt and also the awd turbo eclipse

slasky
07-22-2007, 09:31 PM
A local guy here just got his modded by AMS. 708 HP and a 9K red line. I can't wait to see what it does when he learns how to drive it.

http://amsteam.net/files/5/FL_010.jpg

WVRampage
07-22-2007, 09:40 PM
I drove a stock evo 8,its great from a stand still but after about 55 or 60 they done have much.It was cool to launch at 4 grand and have all 4 spin.

Aries_Turbo
07-22-2007, 09:52 PM
stock turbo and the fuel mods to run 22ish psi ive seen 12.8 @ 108mph before.

stock SRT will walk a stock one of them on the highway from what ive heard.

Brian

jeremyshelby
07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
I had one back when they came out in 03...it was quick stock but above 5500 rpm it fell a little flat because they play with the boost curve above 5500. I put in manual boost controoler set to 20 psi and that helped alot then i put in S-AFC and played with some air/fuel numbers to help it more. They have alot of potential with the right driver and right setup.

Here is some pics of mine. I had to get rid of it wheni bought my house and my wife and I had our first daughter.....second daughter will be delivered tomorrow. I do plan on buying another one if a few years.

Aries_Turbo
07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
i have a buddy here in warsaw that has a STI. id like to do a highway roll with him or even from a dig with my slicks lol.

Brian

shay
07-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Slower than a Spirit R/T... :) LOL.

No.. but really. They are quick cars, respect where it is deserved. Although, like someone else mentioned, at the track.. I've only ever seen them run 14's. From magazines, I hear they are suppose to run low to mid 13's in stock form.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/editorial_images/non_imported/mitsubishi_lancer_evo_rear.jpg

I would look for the little air diffuser on the top of the rear window.

from what ive heard and seen real evo owners remove and sell the wing to lancer owners.

Those diffusers only came on the Evo MRs. So that's not exactly the thing to look for.

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm sure this one was slower than your SRT-4 too! ;)

AMS is local and I have seen a few not to mess with... in fact, most are not bone stock like this one either so I did not know what to expect. The driver looked more like the 'early mid-life crisis' guy rather than the 'racer' type, LOL

MiniMopar
07-23-2007, 11:05 AM
There is a blue EVO, a blue WRX, and a black SRT-4 that I see periodically to or from work. Traffic is usually heavy, so not much chance for play time. I did get to mess with the EVO a few times once in my CSX, but the CSX is not running too great these days and he walked me when we both got a fair start. It sounds like it was probably similar to the one you were playing with.

BadAssPerformance
07-23-2007, 11:42 AM
That is what sucks about commuting with traffic! LOL...

Turbodave
07-23-2007, 11:58 AM
That is what sucks about commuting with traffic! LOL...

What sucks is commuting with traffic in a slow neon. My only hope is that I can get them in the twisties. Unfortunately there are none on my drive to/from work so I just yell at mustangs and tell them how I can totaly spank them in mpg's :evil:

MiniMopar
07-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah, that'll get 'em shaking in their britches for sure! With the construction on Lake-Cook, it takes me an hour to get to and from work most days. So no fun to be had anymore except avoiding the cops in Mundelein.

contraption22
07-23-2007, 04:02 PM
My neighbor's Evo with a GT40R puts down 550+hp to the wheels on w/alky. But I'm still pretty sure I could beat him with my SRT-4 because he doesn't leave his driveway without breaking something.

BadAssPerformance
07-23-2007, 04:04 PM
LOL.. sounds like a common theme with those

Spraynlog
07-23-2007, 05:27 PM
There are usually a group of three or four of these at late night drags at PIR.
Mid to low 13's are pretty common. The launch is what makes them fast, as I have seen 1.8 second 60' times out of them.

One of them is modded to a higher level of performance...11.9's! From what I understand, they are easy to mod with a MBC. Apparently the software doesn't see them or is easily tricked. Not like the SRT-4 or WRX STI.

I watched an SRT-4 vs. Evo battle last year, and talked with them. The Evo's launch was too much for the street tired SRT. But they both said the SRT was reeling the Evo in at the end of the track, it just took more than a 1/4 mile.:p

WickedShelby88
07-24-2007, 02:32 AM
I remember checking out an 03 EVO when I had my 88 lancer and the guy was suprisingly intererested in it. I liked the look on his face when I left the lot in a not so slow manner.

shay
07-27-2007, 12:51 PM
We saw an Evo at the track on Wednesday that looked stock on the outside (with the exception of exhaust and a front mount.)

It went 11.6@117 and he was complaining about missing 8mph on his trap speed (which was probably due to the excruciatingly high temperatures.) That thing scooted.

BadAssPerformance
07-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Damn.... I'll have to be more careful on the street then ;)

GLHS592
07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
I drove a friend's Evolution IX a month or two ago. That car is just plain bad. I think it just has a reflash and an aftermarket exhaust. It felt like it would blow the doors off of my Shelby Charger. The brakes and suspension on the car is absolutely amazing. The only problem I have with the car is its appearance. I just can't get over the looks of the car.

The same guy had an Evolution VIII that ran mid 11's with minimal mods. He swears up and down that his IX is much closer to stock and faster than the VIII.

1 bad day
07-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Evo's are about one of the best sport compact vehicles out today in the newer car market. They are as fast as a vette out of the box, and easily modded.
My friend has an Evo VIII, with hks cams, intake, downpipe-back exhaust, intercooler/intercooler piping kit, and an ecu reflash and ran 11.60's

1 bad day
07-27-2007, 02:31 PM
this is from 03, and I think they were upgraded performance wise in 05, so don't use these as concrete for all evo's

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/9270/long-term-test-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-viii-page3.html

Ground Rat
07-29-2007, 12:07 AM
There are usually a group of three or four of these at late night drags at PIR.
Mid to low 13's are pretty common. The launch is what makes them fast, as I have seen 1.8 second 60' times out of them.
Word, I see them at PIR all the time. They will cut mid 1.7's with just a clutch and a good driver. Stock turbo evos have been at least low 11's that I know of.

BTW, nice kill BadAssPerformance. :thumb:

iangoround
08-04-2007, 06:34 PM
I just saw this car at the Monroe ave McDonalds downtown. It sounds mean as hell.

A local guy here just got his modded by AMS. 708 HP and a 9K red line. I can't wait to see what it does when he learns how to drive it.

http://amsteam.net/files/5/FL_010.jpg

mark
08-05-2007, 03:20 PM
yeah, that ams evo is nice, im gonna try and sneak a ride in it tonight when we go out...

the evo 9's are faster than the 8's. they have a different turbo and some other minor things. i wanted to find a left over 8 on a lot, but my evo buddies said go for a new 9, they have more potential for less $

mech1nxh
08-06-2007, 06:14 AM
We saw an Evo at the track on Wednesday that looked stock on the outside (with the exception of exhaust and a front mount.)

It went 11.6@117 and he was complaining about missing 8mph on his trap speed (which was probably due to the excruciatingly high temperatures.) That thing scooted.

I had a refrig failure awhile back...read on..
I am at Lowes, talking with the appliance guy,
We get on the car subject....start talking turbo, long story short,
Evo8...He shows me a stack of 11.2-11.8 time slips

(him) " yeah I dropped the boost from 31# to 27#, it
just wasn't streetable!"

I remember Archer? racing (late 80's early 90's?). took 5 SCCA class
titles in a row with prepped 2.0 L Talon's.