PDA

View Full Version : A Cobalt, a Van, a lot of boost! (vid)

Dave
07-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Raced a Cobalt SS last weekend. He had a Stage 2 kit and an Injen intake. He said he ran 13.40's at the track last time out.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/45338ba4-db1f-4470-80e5-99730028dfc4.htm

I ended up lifting the head a little that run. There was coolant everywhere, but everything seemed to be okay and not damaged.

dds78910
07-22-2007, 10:24 AM
:thumb: Good job!

shelby zed
07-22-2007, 10:30 AM
read this winners reply:

97232 (10 minutes ago)
score (0)

theres outher videos ''ifs its the same one witch i think it is'' of this minivan bustin ls1s and v8 mustangs at the drag strip. you can see the thing is gutted and can clearly hear the turbo. thats what i call a sleeper btw what engine you runin id say something like the turbo v6 out of a older shlelby daytona

Orangetona
07-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow everyone that posted in that video is a complete retard.

Awesome job bryan. :thumb:

Directconnection
07-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Wow everyone that posted in that video is a complete retard.

Awesome job bryan. :thumb:

Yeah like: van's are light stock, or the kid couldn't drive and that's why the SS ran slow, or the V-6 turbo shelby engine...

gotta set him straight.

BIG PSI
07-22-2007, 02:55 PM
That's why you take the RACE to the TRACK....You can show your car's entry number in the video and then post the ET SLIP with a scan. That way the stupid people MIGHT LEARN..

Chuck "aka DAD"

turbovanmanČ
07-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Thats awesome man, I couldn't stop laughing and also thanks, you made me cry that mine isn't running, :mecry:

Dave
07-22-2007, 03:43 PM
haha. I love the responses. "Cobalt got schooled." :thumbed: Is everyone else as excited as I am to put the new goodies on? :D Hope to soon be toying with blown Mustangs and the sort.

turbovanmanČ
07-22-2007, 03:49 PM
haha. I love the responses. "Cobalt got schooled." :thumbed: Is everyone else as excited as I am to put the new goodies on? :D Hope to soon be toying with blown Mustangs and the sort.

That was me, ;)

dds78910
07-22-2007, 03:54 PM

I forget, what new goodies are you putting on? I remember you taking about a intake and some head porting. Is there anything else? Pics would be nice if you have them.:D

raccoon
07-22-2007, 04:10 PM
god cobalts are ugly.

Dave
07-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Dustin I have the intake I showed everyone and a heavily hogged out 782 with +1mm valves.

dds78910
07-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Sweet! :D

jay
07-22-2007, 06:30 PM
whats all done to it?

Dave
07-24-2007, 05:56 PM
whats all done to it?

My van or the Cobalt? The Cobalt had a Stage 2 kit and Injen intake. I had a big 50 trim turbo, F350 FMIC, 3" exhaust, 25psi of boost and meth injection.

jay
07-24-2007, 06:24 PM
My van or the Cobalt?
both. my buddies got a ion redline and im building a van so hepfully we can race soon too!

ShadowFromHell
07-24-2007, 10:52 PM
awsome man! I love sleepers! I cant wait to get my 87 NY on the streets now!

20w/ashelby
07-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Me and my roomate were browsing streetfire and saw that video then I came back here and saw your link to it LOL. Nice Job!

BARRON
07-25-2007, 11:18 AM
OOOO Brian you freak! haha! Sorry I havent been around much,I dont have internet access for a while. Awesome job you are doing on that van dude..absolutely awesome!

I'll touch base from time to time guy,soon I'll have vids of my baron wandering around the roads beating on various autos.. maybe even my friends Cobalt SS identical to what you just raced!! lol!

THANKS FOR THE HOOT! Now I am off to the parts section to show this to the cobalt owner.
:lol:

93sundance
07-25-2007, 07:18 PM
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!! That video made me bust out laughing!! It is so awesome seeing a minivan blow away some punk who thinks his car is all that :lol:

lowprofile
07-25-2007, 08:47 PM
nice kill :lol:

DodgeZ
07-25-2007, 08:59 PM
damn that's fast. vtec!!!!!

Captain Chaos
07-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Nice kill. I love this comment:

theres outher videos ''ifs its the same one witch i think it is'' of this minivan bustin ls1s and v8 mustangs at the drag strip. you can see the thing is gutted and can clearly hear the turbo. thats what i call a sleeper btw what engine you runin id say something like the turbo v6 out of a older shlelby daytona

Dusty_Duster
07-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Nice kill. I love this comment:

67yt67ytg6yt5rfafjdgvujl
gvi;qauhnrfu
gvergvl

My head hurts now.

Dave
07-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Christ this video spread like a french prostitute! :eek:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=75054

http://cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68127

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?p=1983353

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=14360091

Man I'm glad I got a van. :)

Speedeuphoria
07-28-2007, 03:00 AM
Way to spread the TD love!:thumb:

I see your getting some street cred

wait till its actually modded some(head and intake), you'll be making Simon jealous:lol:

93sundance
07-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Christ this video spread like a french prostitute! :eek:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=75054

http://cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68127

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?p=1983353

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=14360091

Man I'm glad I got a van. :)

Lol, that is funny man. You just made me watch your video again :lol:

Mom'sTurboVan
07-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Nice kill on the Slowbalt Super Sh!t

TurboEd
08-16-2007, 11:44 PM
really nice! they had to be like a minivan dude...a minivan

ShelbyZD
08-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Sure your only running 13's? You cleaned up on him like 12's ;)

slasky
08-20-2007, 11:17 AM
The cobalt site took the thread down.

Someone posted it on a local car forum here and someone else said, "i don't get why people would waste their time on vans."
so I replied, "Apparently it is better than wasting time on a cobalt."

Aries_Turbo
08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
where'd you post that lasky?

Captain Chaos
08-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Probs because its a fast minivan. Boo because it's a Dodge.

P.S. Give me a turboed Odyssey. That is the sexiest minivan ever made. LOL!

Hater!

1FastCSX289
08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
All I have to say is Cobalt SS's are SLOW.....and you are probably runnin' a turbo. Oh.....and dodge sucks.

:D

entity
08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
lol..awesome vid.. after a long --- day at work.. And trying to get a good buy on a darn head for mine.. This made me smile, had to show the wife.. And she was like..."insert song here" "Big Pimpin......"... Those guys think there sooo cool, and they got smoked by the td van.. Thats awesome.. I will add this to another chapter in My theory on Rice.. I'ts not the cars, it's the crowd. Good kill Loved every second of it. Should try to find him again.

ShelbyZD
08-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Hater!

The Odyssey looks like a Ford Focus that has been stretched to van size. Certianaly not my cup of tea.

Captain Chaos
08-21-2007, 07:54 AM
The Odyssey looks like a Ford Focus that has been stretched to van size. Certianaly not my cup of tea.

Its like like loving an ugly child you created, well, because its just the right thing to do.:thumb:

Vigo
08-21-2007, 10:37 PM
oh just face it. a turbo 3.5 odyssey would freaking tear ---.

also turbo van FTW! i wanna turbo mine now.. working on a harness :)

Dasmopar
08-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Never gets old to me. Pauly in toledo beat a Camero infront of everyone at a big park and shine and i mean everyone there was just watching with their mouths hanging wide open in shock. I almost fell on the ground LOL.

badandy
08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Never gets old to me. Pauly in toledo beat a Camero infront of everyone at a big park and shine and i mean everyone there was just watching with their mouths hanging wide open in shock. I almost fell on the ground LOL.

"I almost fell on the ground"...been there!:lol:

Shelbydaytona91
08-28-2007, 09:17 PM
The comments are sooo funny... I don't know what's better "it has a turbo V6" "chrysler vans came with starion/conquest engines" or the countless people who still gave props to there beloved Slowbalt :lol: If that bowl of rice came with a fortune cookie, it would have said "PWNED!"

Big_P
08-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Like the people in HS that thought I "installed twin turbochargers" on my van.

...when in fact it was a stock TI swap.

Dave
08-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Like the people in HS that thought I "installed twin turbochargers" on my van.

...when in fact it was a stock TI swap.

Haha oh man the street comments are funny. Everytime I go to a cruise the fastest ET gets lower and lower. I think I now own an 11 second alcohol van. :confused:

t3rse
08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
nice kill

if you lifted the head at 25# you have detonation issues...

Dave
08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
nice kill

if you lifted the head at 25# you have detonation issues...

Yah I know. The A/F was still fat so that tells me my EGTs were probally a tad high. I'll be buying a gauge shortly to tell for sure. My guess is not enough alky to surpress the auto-ignition point. I am only running a 7gph jet. Soon I'm bumping to a combination equivalant to a 10 or 14.

gasketmaster
08-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Yah I know. The A/F was still fat so that tells me my EGTs were probally a tad high. I'll be buying a gauge shortly to tell for sure. My guess is not enough alky to surpress the auto-ignition point. I am only running a 7gph jet. Soon I'm bumping to a combination equivalant to a 10 or 14.

You have a wide band O2......you don't need an EGT ;)

You need to monitor knock retard on a scanner :)

Particularly when screwin' with a supplimental octane supply that you are injecting into the airstream and hoping it's going where it's needed ;)

Your cylinder pressure exceeded your available octane....then POP......goes the head :nod:

But hey.........what do I know :D

t3rse
09-01-2007, 12:40 AM
i've posted many a time a cheap knock gauge that works great. egts are totally irrelevant...egt gauges are best used once the car has been dynoed, then with race piss you don't want to kill the o2, so note egts and use as a reference, and pull the o2...

also, reading plugs works wonders, you may simply be running too much timing

Aries_Turbo
09-01-2007, 01:30 AM
cheap knock gauges are no where near as accurate as the factory system. i know you have had good experiences with them but there is a reason that the factory system has a table referencing knock voltage with RPM..... as the speed increases, so does the background noise.

I can see the knock gauge being somewhat helpful when tuned to the indication of knock at the torque peak as this is the most likely the point where knock will occur.

the factory monitored the voltage output of the sensor after each ignition event and compared it to the voltage/knock threshold table until the next ignition event. that is compared to the cyl #1 reference signal (the other connector on the hall effect pickup) so that the individual knock retard per cylinder can take place and also be monitored with a scanner. far greater accuracy than the ebay gauge.

what is the voltage level that the ebay gauge indicates as knock?

See attached file for factory knock voltage vs rpm levels.

http://a25.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/87/l_ffacbe8eedd9fadfd8a38633df067b50.jpg

Brian

t3rse
09-01-2007, 08:54 AM
voltage has nothing to do with it, it frequency spikes you are looking for...

have you ever seen the inside of a sensor? its a little tiny ball on a spring/tuning fork that sits against the wall of the sensor. when it knocks, the thing vibrates and you get a frequncy spike, looking at voltage changes will get you jack

there is no reason to hijack this thread, if you want to continue this lets take it elsewhere...

Aries_Turbo
09-01-2007, 10:26 AM
im sorry but you are wrong. the sensor is tuned to produce substantial voltage at the 6000-6300Hz region.. IE the frequency produced when an engine of our bore size produces knock. it will produce very little voltage at other frequencies... yes ive seen the inside of quite a few knock sensors cause the insulator sometimes breaks off when you try to take the connector off. the factory ECU and your little ebay knock box isnt set up to be responsive to frequency. only voltage. try it, take a function generator and input it to the knock box and keep the amplitude at 1v or less. you wont get any knock indication at any frequency.

i have the factory schematic and service tech information..... no matter what you say, i know how the system works. if it didnt care about voltage, then why does the scanner have a readout for knock volts?

Brian

Dave
09-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I agree with Brian. The KS is a peizeo generator that "creats" voltage. Hz is simply the amount of times in a second the device is on. Both functions can be critical but the ECU relies on voltage input, not Hz.

I honestly would like to get a digital voltage gauge soltered to the signal wire that will then tell me how many volts, if any, it is producing. It's hard to hear detonation with a loud exhaust, and guessing is not practical. The scanner only tells me whether knock is present or not.

While we're on it, knock voltage, is that in DC? Also would it affect the computer's input if I parallel its wire into an LED gauge. LED's usually require 1.5V to bias, so I'm thinking it should be fine as voltage is always the same in a parallel circuit before a load.

gasketmaster
09-03-2007, 07:30 PM
The scanner only tells me whether knock is present or not.

I run my OTC scanner in custom display so I can watch TPS, RPM, O2 voltage and knock retard in cylinders 1 - 4 :)

Try setting your scanner to watch the amount of timing retard caused by knock ;)

That will also help you determine if one cylinder or more is not getting enough alky to keep it happy ;)

The factory determined the parameters of what they considered to be damaging detonation to the engine.....and they probably spent a bunch of hours and dollars researching those parameters :thumb:

Then armed with that info they created a timing retard table that is designed specifically for certain engines ;)

Personally.......I'm glad they did all of that work for us :thumb:

50+ full 1/4 mile passes deep in the 12's at over 110 mph in a minivan with factory cast pistons monitored only by a scanner and a boost gauge.....it doesn't get any easier or cheaper.......LOL!!!

Aries_Turbo
09-04-2007, 10:37 PM
no dave you cant just monitor the circuit to see if there is knock. the knock sensor outputs its sine wave voltage signal to an input transistor to buffer the signal and to have it only create positive voltage to the A/D converter for the computer to analyze.

the factory valves that they worked to come up with are in that image I posted.

you have to have at least a otc 4000 to view all 4 cyl timing and knock active.

Brian

Dave
09-05-2007, 05:29 PM
no dave you cant just monitor the circuit to see if there is knock. the knock sensor outputs its sine wave voltage signal to an input transistor to buffer the signal and to have it only create positive voltage to the A/D converter for the computer to analyze.

the factory valves that they worked to come up with are in that image I posted.

you have to have at least a otc 4000 to view all 4 cyl timing and knock active.

Brian

Okay looks like I'll try and pick one up. My problem with the scanners is that they are hard to mount securely in one spot without having them flop everywhere when you're standing on it.

gasketmaster
09-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Okay looks like I'll try and pick one up. My problem with the scanners is that they are hard to mount securely in one spot without having them flop everywhere when you're standing on it.

I'll try to get you a picture of how mine is mounted just below the cup holder ;)

whywoody
09-20-2007, 11:59 PM
There seems to be more people now than ever building quick minivans,it's great!
I also use an otc4000e scan tool and haven't broken an engine yet ...knock on wood... and have been getting away with using *worse* than stock cast pistons for about 50k klm's.I new nothing about differences in cast pistons 'till they were in and running lol.

turbovanmanČ
09-24-2007, 07:21 AM
50+ full 1/4 mile passes deep in the 12's at over 110 mph in a minivan with factory cast pistons monitored only by a scanner and a boost gauge.....it doesn't get any easier or cheaper.......LOL!!!

Or luckier, heehhehhee, :confused: :evil: :clap:

Dave
02-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Minivans FTMFW.

Aries_Turbo
02-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Minivans FTMFW.

what the heck? why are you pimping your old thread lol

cordes
02-20-2008, 08:03 PM
what the heck? why are you pimping your old thread lol

He hasn't been around in a while and needs to get that post count up there if he is ever going to try and catch up with Simon.

turbovanmanČ
02-29-2008, 11:35 PM
He hasn't been around in a while and needs to get that post count up there if he is ever going to try and catch up with Simon.

It could happen. :o

cordes
03-01-2008, 11:42 AM
It could happen. :o

If your count on TD was any indication, I would label it highly unlikely.

turzbo
03-01-2008, 12:39 PM
what was his responce was he pissed that he lost or still trying to rap his head around the fact that he got owned by a mini van:D

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2008, 07:15 PM
If your count on TD was any indication, I would label it highly unlikely.

Well I don't post at TD anymore so its very likely someone could reach my posts. I don't think I've posted there for over a year, :thumb:

Dave
03-01-2008, 09:14 PM
what was his responce was he pissed that he lost or still trying to rap his head around the fact that he got owned by a mini van:D

He looked sad. That is the only way to describe it. He just said, "That's a fast van" in a very sad voice. lol

I'm sure I looked like a complete tool afterwards. We were going to run again but there was coolant everywhere from lifting the head, so I decided it best to play it safe, go home and make sure I didn't break anything. 25psi + alky/pump gas + stock long block = Bad things. :evil:

Kzof
03-05-2008, 07:01 PM
That was great!!!

Dave
03-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Man, it's real funny how everyone there is making such tall excuses. The new common one is "It wasn't a fair race! Put $25k into a Cobalt then see what happens."

Well does it not make more sense to go as fast as possible with as little as possible?

Some guy over there claimed to own a 583 WHP Vette. I sincerely invited him out to Norwalk, OH. to line up against the van at Summit Raceway Park. With no videos to prove he even owns a Vette, I seriously think his Excuses Gauge will be pegged.

Dave
05-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Looks like we're going to need more work to keep up with this other Cobalt that raped my VW... 30+psi here we come!

BIG PSI
05-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Looks like we're going to need more work to keep up with this other Cobalt that raped my VW... 30+psi here we come!

WE will need MORE BOOST than we have now that is for sure.
:D

That is next on the list, computer, tuning, more boost.

Chuck

Aries_Turbo
05-20-2010, 01:35 PM
.......computer, tuning....

X1000

tuning has held this van back for too long.

Brian

BIG PSI
05-20-2010, 02:20 PM
X1000

tuning has held this van back for too long.

Brian

You are correct, I have been lack luster on that account.
My only excuse is that I keep buying more T-M and keep putting $ into them.
That is why I am selling the LWB Turbo Mini Van.
I need to concentrate more on HOLATTA.

:love:

Chuck

Aries_Turbo
05-20-2010, 05:52 PM
:) ahh the plight of too many cars. i have that problem and thats why im driving a atx neon right now cause i cant seem to focus on one project. :)

Brian

54inches
05-20-2010, 07:44 PM
How much DOES that van weigh?

BIG PSI
05-20-2010, 10:01 PM
How much DOES that van weigh?

Right now HOLATTA weighs in at 3,060 lbs without driver.
I am still planning on installing lexan in the back 5 windows, fiberglass buckets in the front, and a fuel cell mounted under the floor this winter.

Chuck

Dave
05-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Fat lady!

Dave
08-16-2010, 12:19 AM

Not to quote myself but!....... this other said Cobalt just broke a ring land and has began building his engine with forged pistons, ARP everything, big ported head, and a bit of nitrous. He's going for 450WHP. Personally I think his TVS blower will hold him back, but there's no way we're losing to a Cobalt in the van. :thumb:

turbokid
08-17-2010, 02:04 AM
Tvs's are good for 400+ horse. guy around here made 420 on a conservative tune with alky injection and dual pass heat exchanger. Good thing he made his own cals though...

Dave
08-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Tvs's are good for 400+ horse. guy around here made 420 on a conservative tune with alky injection and dual pass heat exchanger. Good thing he made his own cals though...

Any info on his setup? I'm getting pretty interested in these ecotecs. My buddy was actually planning on going with a turbo instead, but one of the coolest parts about his car is the power band and the fact he's making huge power on a blown 4 cylinder... you just don't see that very much.

Most those guys are using HP Tuner's for tuning. Real awesome calibrating device!