PDA

View Full Version : Converting 87 t2 to a 89 t2

Shelby~Babe
07-21-2007, 10:09 PM
We're mateing 89 t2 engine harness with a 87 t2 bulkhead connection, into an 87 Shelby Z. We have a bunch of wires left over!! And can't figure out where they go. . I know some wires are suppose to be left over, but not so many. :confused:

We have an 87 bulkhead connection, 18G white/orange, 20G white/orange,
20G Violet/Lgreen, 20G yellow, 12G Dblue/orange, and two 20G Dblues.

on the 89 side there's 12G Dblue, 18G black/pink, 20G black/pink, 18G Dblue, 18G Dblue/brown, and 20G white/orange.

And all the other wires are attached with connections, 12G yellow/black, 20G brown/Lblue, 22G Dblue/Lblue, 20G Lbrown and 20G Lblue and those are all attached to the green connection on the 89 harness.

ANNNNNDDD THEEEENNNNN. . . .

The black connections there's, 22G white/pink, 20G pink, 20G white/brown, 20G black, two 20G yellow/red and 22G Dblue/brown.

And try doing this with a bf who's half color blind!!!
:o

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

GLHNSLHT2
07-22-2007, 02:28 AM
1st good luck. 2nd you need a set of 87 and 89 FSM's. They have the pinouts for the wires. Also the wiring and plugs is different. Don't assume just because they're the same body the wires will all match up. 88's up had fog lights wired in the system. Yes the wiring was there even though 88's didn't have fogs in the US. 89's have different headlight plugs with an extra wire. The subharness for the front of the motor and for the starter area is different so hopefully you have those. The Charge temp sensor plug and the plug for the wiper motor's are different shapes. All stuff that can be changed but it's a pain. Anyway you need a copy of the pinouts and maybe even the full wiring diagram book for each so you can tell where everything goes. But even though I had an 88 FSM when I did my 87-88 harness conversion They didn't have the fog's in the FSM even though they were in the harness. I had to tear into an 89 ES harness to figure out where they go.

shelbyplaya
07-22-2007, 12:38 PM
we had the pin out. we got one online.

i just need to conferm befor i plug it in and wreck somthing else

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2007, 12:57 PM
'87 LM rules! Why SMEC it up? ;)

GLHNSLHT2
07-22-2007, 01:12 PM
cause you can flash the SMEC from a laptop, 2.5 3 bar cals are readily available as well as 2.2 stuff. It also is less wiring :)

shelbyplaya
07-22-2007, 01:20 PM
cause you can flash the SMEC from a laptop, 2.5 3 bar cals are readily available as well as 2.2 stuff. It also is less wiring :)

thats a big part of it yeah. but i had to convert to a 2.5l motor so i need to run a 2.5l cal (obviousley). good luck finding a 87 2.5l LM.

i have a cuple 89 T2 harness and a 2.5l SMEC. soooo why not?

and also i was having MASSIVE fuel pump/injector issues. the smec is just alot easyer to work around.

dosent garret have a spread sheet for this?

slasky
07-22-2007, 01:54 PM
thats a big part of it yeah. but i had to convert to a 2.5l motor so i need to run a 2.5l cal (obviousley). good luck finding a 87 2.5l LM.

I have one and it runs just as smooth as a stock car.

Blueberry is your Friend:)

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2007, 04:56 PM

'87 T2 2-bar cals seem to work ok for me up to 27psi ;)

GLHNSLHT2
07-22-2007, 06:39 PM
they can work. But if you have some spark knock at say 5 grand but not anywhere else what do you do? Retard the timing across the board or be able to just take a bit out at 5grand?

cordes
07-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Go to http://www.oldschoolhotrodder.com/modules.php?name=Downloads and get the proper pinout diagrams.

Also, Ariesturbo has a 2.5LM cal which is working quite well according to several people, and the LMs running blueberry are not having any problems keeping up with any SMEC or SBEC cals. Geoff Alan has the best cals out there for the LMs and SBECs right now as far as I know, and they are about the same feature wise. To each their own.

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2007, 07:31 PM
they can work. But if you have some spark knock at say 5 grand but not anywhere else what do you do? Retard the timing across the board or be able to just take a bit out at 5grand?

add more fuel...

GLHNSLHT2
07-22-2007, 07:37 PM
so now you can be rich at 3k but just right at 5k? No thanks. There's nothing like being able to custom tune the cal at any point you need too. Sorry but times are changing and caveman'ing it with 2 bar cals is going out the window.

cordes
07-22-2007, 07:41 PM
so now you can be rich at 3k but just right at 5k? No thanks. There's nothing like being able to custom tune the cal at any point you need too. Sorry but times are changing and caveman'ing it with 2 bar cals is going out the window.

In JTs defense, pragmatism will never go out of style. :eyebrows:

Shelby~Babe
07-22-2007, 09:42 PM
:( You guys aren't really telling me what I want too hear! :(

turbovanmanČ
07-22-2007, 09:44 PM
:( You guys aren't really telling me what I want too hear! :(

Well you know Ray, he jumps before he looks, :o

Shelby~Babe
07-22-2007, 09:57 PM
LOL I thought he only did that with his ex? :D hahahhahah

As I speak right now Ray is putting the wireing harness in the car, fingers crossedd:D:D

turbovanmanČ
07-22-2007, 10:18 PM
LOL I thought he only did that with his ex? :D hahahhahah

As I speak right now Ray is putting the wireing harness in the car, fingers crossedd:D:D

He does this with ALL girls, hehehhe, :p

Aries_Turbo
07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
i love my 2.5L LM cal. works awesome. i made it myself and its readily available. just gotta know someone with a burner as I have it posted in the EFI section.

Brian

TurboJerry
07-22-2007, 10:28 PM
I have great results running most all of them. (LM/SMEC/SBEC) I think it's just a matter of taste in the end. I have to admit the conversions are always fun though.

Shelby~Babe
07-22-2007, 10:45 PM
He does this with ALL girls, hehehhe, :p

yup good thing I turned out to be a keeper!

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2007, 11:32 PM

heck dude, I want my car to be rich at 5k too! keeps sh!t together! :thumb:

One of these days I'll play with cals, but for now this 2-bar stock shtuff just runs so damn good. :D

In JTs defense, pragmatism will never go out of style. :eyebrows:

damn straight :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
07-22-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm not talking rich being 11.5-12.0:1. I'm talking rich as in 9-11:1 a/f's. Overly rich. Killing power rich. Mr. Smartypants you know what I'm talking about.

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2007, 11:51 PM
LOL, I just used that nickname in another thread! crazy!

OK, so I have noooo idea how rich my car is (narrow band) but at WOT it is full rich on the Haltech AF-30 NB gauge.

The rest of the time between idle and WOT, like in a situation similar to your "I don't want it rich at 3k" comment... guess what, it is... NOT RICH! the O2 is doing its job... funny how that works.

-Mr. Smartypants

GLHNSLHT2
07-23-2007, 12:11 AM
at part throttle yes the O2 will do it's job. But you pretty much have to be washing the rings down for it not too.

BadAssPerformance
07-23-2007, 01:13 AM
Right in the middle of the 30 LED A/F guage...

shelbyplaya
07-23-2007, 10:06 AM
humm...

any way i can get some help with my issue here guys and not somthing way off topic?:confused:

BadAssPerformance
07-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Sorry about the off topic. My only point is that any of the computers, LM or SMEC can work for ya.

As far as back on topic, the best thing for you to do is get '87 and '89 Factory Service Manuals and get busy matching up pinouts and re-wiring those bulkhead connectors.

turbovanmanČ
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I have manuals here but I can't lend them out, your welcome to come down and use them, :thumb:

MiniMopar
07-23-2007, 02:13 PM
You can't trust the wire colors completely, either. They tended to stay the same, but would sometimes change. Between LM/PM and SMEC cars, there wasn't much change. However between those and SBEC cars, there were a lot of changes. Also the SBEC factory wiring diagrams are HORRIBLE (full of errors), but that's another rant.

Anyway, I don't have the FSMs in front of me, but some of those wires are going to be things like cruise control signals, lighting feeds, etc. What I do is sit down with the FSMs and make a speadsheet with columns for the circuit designators and wire colors for the source and destination cirtcuits and a single description. Then you can line up each circuit and you will them plainly see what doesn't line up and come up with a plan to mend the differences. Going from 87-89 should not be bad at all, but things like cruise control changed almost every year until '90.