PDA

View Full Version : Wraith Shelby 2.2 Engine

shad0w2.s_tur80
07-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Ok so am sure we all know of the expremental shelby 16 valve engines right. i actualy came accross a shelby preformence catalog from 1989 (great year for these cars). i saw the the engine section and a 16 valve engine for sale witch i am sure you guys are also aware of. now if i read corectaly this one was never for sale and is curently siting in a museum in ann arbor michigain (if i rember right). whos has the specs on this bad boy and would something like this be worth buliding? http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/brandonsucksdick/Wraith_Shelby_2_2_Engine.jpg

turbovanmanČ
07-21-2007, 02:44 AM
For the cool factor yeah, but cost wise and rarity wise, no. You can use a Neon head and make the same or more power, ditto if using a TIII setup, and of course, the Masi head too.

TopDollar69
07-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I think it actually has a masi-cosworth head.

JDAWG
07-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Im only building one if it had the lightning bolts going all over it like in the movie.

turbovanmanČ
07-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Im only building one if it had the lightning bolts going all over it like in the movie.

Hahhahaa, :lol:

JDAWG
07-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I guess maybe I could get 20 year old spark plug wires at the boneyard so its arcing all over the engine, but then my 1/4 mile times would be like 34 at like 38mph, that wouldnt do me any good cause i want to tbone cars and blow them into smoke like the movie

shad0w2.s_tur80
07-21-2007, 02:31 PM
You can use a Neon head and make the same or more power, ditto if using a TIII setup, and of course, the Masi head too.

yeah thats eaxtaly what i was thinking but id want the exhaust to be oppisite side of the engine. but couldnt you do that by moving the valve. but arnt the intake ports biger than the exhaust ports so whit out some major modifaction to the head that porably wouldnt work. did the masi crossworth head had a block off for a distrubtor?

turbovanmanČ
07-21-2007, 03:06 PM
yeah thats eaxtaly what i was thinking but id want the exhaust to be oppisite side of the engine. but couldnt you do that by moving the valve. but arnt the intake ports biger than the exhaust ports so whit out some major modifaction to the head that porably wouldnt work. did the masi crossworth head had a block off for a distrubtor?

You can use a Talon head, 420A, they used the 2.0L Dodge motor on some models for a base engine with the ports reversed so if you put this head on our cars, the exhaust is at the front, :nod:

shad0w2.s_tur80
07-21-2007, 03:10 PM
isnt the cooling and oil passages the same as the neon head too?

turbovanmanČ
07-21-2007, 04:57 PM
isnt the cooling and oil passages the same as the neon head too?

There identical to the Neon head, just the manifolds are swapped around.

ShelbyMotorsports
07-21-2007, 05:58 PM
The 16v Cosworth engine advertisement you posted and the Shelby Performance Catalog 16v Lotus engine are two different animals.

The Cosworth is the rarest 16v engine.

shad0w2.s_tur80
07-21-2007, 07:49 PM
There identical to the Neon head, just the manifolds are swapped around.

hmmm i think i know what head i am using if i go 16v

dds78910
07-21-2007, 07:56 PM
You can use a Talon head, 420A, they used the 2.0L Dodge motor on some models for a base engine with the ports reversed so if you put this head on our cars, the exhaust is at the front, :nod:

That would be sweet!:D It would be nice to have easy access to the turbo.

ShelGame
07-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I've got a 420a head sitting on my 2.4 right now.

Both the intake and exhasut flanges are the same pattern, the only difference being the 420 keeps the T-stat in front (next to the exhasut in this case), so it uses a separate housing. If you use a standard head intake, you'd have to cut the t-stat housing off (whcih is what I did to the Stratus intake I'm starting with).

I actually prefer this arrangement - no water to heat up the intake manifold...

Russ Jerome
07-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Some Cosworth/Wraith stuff I saved somewhere:

The Dodge PPG Interceptor also know offically by it's Dodge name, the M4S, is a car that was built in the early 80's. 1984 to exact is the model year. It had very little in commom with anything produced by Dodge in those times. It was NOT just a Daytona with a different body. The only thing the M4S shared with the Daytonas of the day was the 2.2 liter engine block and the 5 speed manual transmission. On top the block was a highly modified Cosworth 16 valve twin cam head. It was force fed with twin Garret T-25 turbochargers and fueled with Bosch- L Jettronic fuel injection. It made 440 hp and had a top speed as tested by Road and Track to 194.8 mph. It did 0 to 60 in 4.1 and the 1/4 mile at 12.9 at 104 mph. Rumor had it that there was also another engine that was making 600 hp. The M4S was a mid-engine designed car designed by Dodge as a concept for future production, but due to it's high cost construction the idea for production was dropped seeing how Dodge didn't think anybody would be interested in a high proced sports car in those days. Remember this was 1984. Long before the Interceptor M4S made an appearance in the low budget film 'The Wraith' it saw use as an actual Indy pace car. The only modification the M4S received was flashing strobe lights for serving duty as the Indy pace car. After it's first major appearance to the public at Indy the car was donated by Chrysler for use in the movie 'The Wraith'. A place called Code One was contracted to build some replicas of the real prototype M4S for the movie. I've read that up to 30 of these cars were built for crash sequences and stunts. After the movie filming was over the car was returned to Dodge. Flash forward to today and apparently there are know to be 4 M4S's in exsistance. One was last known to be located in the head quaters for PPG Industries. One of the others is located at the Walter P. Chysler Museum in Aubum, Michigan and is on regular display. The last thing I heard was that there is a place, and I'm not sure of the name, that makes reproduction PPG Interceptor rolling chassis's for sale to the publiuc after buying the rights. They have a website on the internet as well and a complete car sells for something close to $70,000. However the engine is not a Dodge 2.2 twin turbo. I believe they stick Chevy 350's in the car instead much like any other kit type car. The coolest thing would be to buy a rolling chassis and throw a good old Dodge 2.2 liter Turbo II engine in it modified to make 300 hp or more. Thats about all I know of the PPG Interceptor.

Since a run of the mill Hybrid runs deep 12's on street rubber I stopped
looking for those Coworth 16v blanks out in CA....but am interested if
you have any laying around :)

shad0w2.s_tur80
07-21-2007, 11:14 PM

thats exctaly why i wanta bulid that

markus
08-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but is the 420A head sohc or dohc?

Ondonti
08-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Wow, the 1/4 time and traps are allll wrong in that article russ posted. That info makes no sense when you look at it as a whole........or the testers coasted from the 1/8th to the 1/4....

ShelGame
08-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but is the 420A head sohc or dohc?

DOHC.

Exactly the same as the "old" Neon DOHC, but the intake/exhaust are swapped front to back. Although, the cam sensor is in the same place, which means it's on the exhaust cam on the 420a (intake cam on the Neon). And, the T-Stat housing stays in front; it has a separate housing on the 420a, not part of the intake mani.

overlordsshadow
08-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Thats a damn sweet engine.

Russ Jerome
08-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Wow, the 1/4 time and traps are allll wrong in that article russ posted. That info makes no sense when you look at it as a whole........or the testers coasted from the 1/8th to the 1/4....

I used to think it was a typo on the MPH but now that you
bring it up I have another idea: They said the car did 194
MPH top speed, car must have had some BIG gears as I have
only passed 150mph or better with a 2.90 final drive two
times and the 2.2/16v was screaming high rpm. There gears
may have bogged the car to the 104, high 12 second pass?

boost geek
08-11-2007, 11:44 PM

Hey, look what I found today, is this classified as a 420A head? It's a '94 Mexican cast. Now I have a Magnum and this DOHC to compare ports...:thumb:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/DOHC-3.jpg

spaceman
08-11-2007, 11:46 PM
my friend james is big on the 80s and their dodge cars ,he also ,like all of us has spent hours looking for any info on the intercepter and were abouts of the cars as of today .a while back 6 or 7 years ago , i remember him finding out were they were making the bodys of the cars and i believe it was in pennsylvania,were i dont know but i think it was there (dont quote me on that tho) it is a pretty mean looking car but to throw a cheezy 350 in it sucks at least put a chrysler product in to it .im sure other people have more info on this topic than i do so im going to sit back and get educated from you guys

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2007, 02:52 AM
Hey, look what I found today, is this classified as a 420A head? It's a '94 Mexican cast. Now I have a Magnum and this DOHC to compare ports...:thumb:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/DOHC-3.jpg

Thats it. Out at Chilliwack again were you? :eyebrows:

Anything good out there these days?

boost geek
08-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Well, depends what your looking for. I finally picked up my Magnum head today, now I can take pics to compare the two. The Magnums exhaust do appear larger than the DOHC just by looking at them, I havent looked at this head in a long time.

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, depends what your looking for. I finally picked up my Magnum head today, now I can take pics to compare the two. The Magnums exhaust do appear larger than the DOHC just by looking at them, I havent looked at this head in a long time.

You know what I am looking for, ;)

boost geek
08-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Yes I do, it would be on my work bench now if I did find it.:D

Vigo
08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
harsh :P

the 420a head from the dsms seems to be better overall setup to me.. i have one but havent touched it yet.

t3rse
08-12-2007, 09:46 PM
i'm not a fan of having the turbo sit on the radiator...although with a custom header it'd be better for moving the turbo into a headlight hole...

turbovanmanČ
08-12-2007, 09:47 PM
harsh :P

the 420a head from the dsms seems to be better overall setup to me.. i have one but havent touched it yet.

Definatley make getting at the turbo easier, :amen:

SwiftTech
08-15-2007, 01:53 PM
my friend james is big on the 80s and their dodge cars ,he also ,like all of us has spent hours looking for any info on the intercepter and were abouts of the cars as of today .a while back 6 or 7 years ago , i remember him finding out were they were making the bodys of the cars and i believe it was in pennsylvania,were i dont know but i think it was there (dont quote me on that tho) it is a pretty mean looking car but to throw a cheezy 350 in it sucks at least put a chrysler product in to it .im sure other people have more info on this topic than i do so im going to sit back and get educated from you guys

this is the guy doing it, but it seems to be on hold right now, plus you have to use a fiero for a donor chassis:mad:
http://www.wraithinnovations.com/turbointerceptor.html

Dusty_Duster
08-15-2007, 03:52 PM
this is the guy doing it, but it seems to be on hold right now, plus you have to use a fiero for a donor chassis:mad:

It might be kind of neat to get that kit and modify it to work on a Daytona. You'd need a lot of time on your hands, though.

turbovanmanČ
08-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Wow, didn't think there would be such a demand.

Sucks there using the Fiero but makes sense due to the way its put together BUT Fiero's have to be getting scarce at this point, they stopped making them in 88.

capev86
08-15-2007, 07:50 PM
if i was building a wraith replica, the coswroth 2.2 would be the way to go (but i'd stroke with a 2.5 crank.....heheheeh)!!!

2.216VTurbo
08-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I think it actually has a masi-cosworth head.
I'm a couple weeks late to this thread but,:o the cam gears are on the wrong side of the motor for a Masi TC Cosworth head. As pointed out later in the thread, EX in front IN in back. Still one sweet looking motor....:thumb:

Mopar_Nutz
08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Why NOT use a fiero? Cheap car to pick up, and fitting one of our engines wouldn't be that hard to do. Not to mention the suspension stuff you can get for them with all the other kit cars using them. Prolly make for a pretty cool setup, once you get rid of all the crappy factory Fiero junk...

boost geek
08-21-2007, 09:07 PM
For those of you that dont like the mitsu head, check out this one...
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=223015&start=200

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Wow, thats amazing but the funny part is the guessing game there having on what car that head came off, :eyebrows:

boost geek
08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
According to the thread, it's a Stratus/Eclipse head.

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2007, 09:38 PM
According to the thread, it's a Stratus/Eclipse head.

Hmmmmmm, Stratus head? :eyebrows:

boost geek
08-21-2007, 09:42 PM
I was at p.a.p. again on saturday, never seen a 2.4 head like that there yet...

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2007, 10:15 PM
I was at p.a.p. again on saturday, never seen a 2.4 head like that there yet...

Where did you get yours?

boost geek
08-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Pick a Part. I also have the intake which curls up instead of down. Trade me something for it, I'll probably never get around to using it anyways. The intake is actually a 2 piece...

ShelGame
08-22-2007, 09:06 AM
I've been looking for one of those intakes, too. What did it come off of?

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Pick a Part. I also have the intake which curls up instead of down. Trade me something for it, I'll probably never get around to using it anyways. The intake is actually a 2 piece...

What do you want?

boost geek
08-22-2007, 10:57 PM
The intake came of a '95 Sebring, same as the head. This thing would easy clear the distributor on a front intake head. You could even bolt on a modified upper half...:eyebrows:
I left the fuel rail behind though, was too cheap to fork out another $20 for it at the time.:(

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_1473.jpg

minigts
08-22-2007, 11:12 PM

Dude, did you take that at a Fjord in Alaska by chance? I swear I was at that same glacier.