PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharged Chevy straight 6?

Tony Hanna
07-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I'd like to pull the tired smallblock out of my old truck and work out a project for some sort of turbo inline 6 cyl. I've seen a good bit of information on the net about turbo slant 6 Chryslers, but I'm having a hard time finding anything on the straight 6 Chevy engines. I'd like to look at what people have done to get some ideas on turbo sizing, manifolds, and fuel systems. Post up some links if you know any.:)
Thanks,
Tony

88_pacifica
07-19-2007, 11:56 AM
talk to MPGMike... he can tell you all of that stuff. He did a slant six turbo about a yr ago or so and knows where to start and possible problems....

Tony Hanna
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
talk to MPGMike... he can tell you all of that stuff. He did a slant six turbo about a yr ago or so and knows where to start and possible problems....

Thanks, I've seen a good bit of information on turbocharging a slant 6 Chrysler, but I'm looking more for information specific to the Chevy straight 6. Stuff like differences in combustion chamber cc between the different years, which manifolds work best and why, etc. I think I've got a pretty good grasp of the general stuff that would be the same from one make to another.:)
Thanks,
Tony

88_pacifica
07-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Hmm... well I see now what you're thinking... I know that based upon my stock GN ,the concept is going to be slightly different. IMO the hardest part is not the head, but the rotating assembly. The straight 6 is a little on the "inefficient" side to say the least. I camn't remember where I read it but I think the rod specs for the inline was the same as another mfgr and could be "crossed over" for a more reliable setup. Damned if I can rememebr though. I may have to get back to you on that one...

Devsdaytona
07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Just drop a Chrysler slant 6 in there and there should be no problems.:thumb:

Tony Hanna
07-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Hmm... well I see now what you're thinking... I know that based upon my stock GN ,the concept is going to be slightly different. IMO the hardest part is not the head, but the rotating assembly. The straight 6 is a little on the "inefficient" side to say the least. I camn't remember where I read it but I think the rod specs for the inline was the same as another mfgr and could be "crossed over" for a more reliable setup. Damned if I can rememebr though. I may have to get back to you on that one...

Well, keep in mind I'm not building a race car here. I'd just like to put something together that will haul the heavyass old beast around decent and still get reasonable gas mileage. If the stock short block won't take being turbocharged with a conservative amount of boost, I'll just freshen up the smallblock that's in it and look into doing a TBI conversion.

Come to think of it, a set of big chamber heads, mild cam, and a pair of mitsus on the smallblock might be interesting...:)
Thanks,
Tony

guyd_15
07-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Search this, might be a little overkill.

Leo Santucci's Awesome 1954 Studebaker

Tony Hanna
07-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Search this, might be a little overkill.

Leo Santucci's Awesome 1954 Studebaker

A bit overkill to be sure, but neat just the same!:thumb:
I especially liked the way they welded the head together out of 2 SBC heads with a cyl cut off of each.

Aries_Turbo
07-21-2007, 12:24 AM
is that 292 some special engine or is it just a 250 with some added displacement?

the 5 headstuds per cyl caught my eye. that isnt stock for a 250 is it? the lower part of the block looks alot like ours minus the cam holes.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
07-21-2007, 12:29 AM
nevermind on the headbolt holes. i saw the mods as i kept reading :)

Tony Hanna
07-21-2007, 11:19 AM
is that 292 some special engine or is it just a 250 with some added displacement?

Brian

This is all I've found on the 292 so far. It came from a Wikipedia article.

"292

The 292 was only used in Chevrolet and GMC trucks; the block deck is taller, along with a relocated passenger-side engine mount. These were produced between 1963 to 1990; production of the engine shifted to Mexico after 1984."

Aries_Turbo
07-21-2007, 12:35 PM
oh ok. im not up on GM straight 6's. my buddy and my dad had novas with 250's in them.

I wonder what the stock crank can take. I love that custom cyl head. that thing is cool.

Brian

Pandemoniac
07-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Having 7 main bearings, I'd imagine the crank could take a hell of a beating. Don't know a thing about the rods though...

guyd_15
07-23-2007, 10:06 AM
I think your going to find that the middle intake port in both the head and the intake is siamesed for the 2 center cylinders with no divider to seperate the cylinders. I saw one once where a tongue depressor and epoxy was used to seperate the cylinders. I guess thats why they went with the small block heads. Don't know what kind of boost that modification would hold.

Also I think on the "newer" heads the intake and head are integral (one piece).

The 292 was a truck engine.

Guy

Pandemoniac
07-23-2007, 01:23 PM
I thought all 3 intake ports were like that... It's a big wide rectangle so I'd EFI it with 2 injectors per port and not worry about it.

Tony Hanna
07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Well, my original plan was to do an intercooled blowthrough carb setup. The more I think about it though, I think TBI might be the easiest way to go. Maybe adapt the intake to accept a throttlebody from a TBI 305 with a pair of TBI 454 injectors in it and run it with Megasquirt.

Captain Chaos
07-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Have you checked with Clifford Performance?
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

Tony Hanna
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Have you checked with Clifford Performance?
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

Nice!
One of their intakes might be the way to go. Looks like it would be really simple to fab an adapter plate for a TBI throttlebody for a bolt-together install.:thumb:

Darkwolf
07-24-2007, 01:36 AM
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80212.0
That might give you some ideas
Redneck engineering

Tony Hanna
07-24-2007, 02:55 AM
I'll give the guy points for creativity that's for sure!
It's a shame he didn't stick with it. Would have been interesting to see how it acted after he got the bugs worked out.

sundanceRS-turbo
07-24-2007, 03:22 AM
me and one of my freinds dad came up with the idea of putting a 4.3L S10 TBI fuel injection on a 6 poper in a old nova. and the way he was going to do it was a good idea but he sold the car before we had a chance to do it.