PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Gram 4 Bolt Billet Main Caps!

8valves
07-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi everyone! I am now an official basic vendor, and as so will offer these to the public for a while to see how much interest there is.

I have gone throught he effort, and cost, to have Pro-Gram Engineering design a custom 4 bolt billet main cap for the 89+ common blocks. You cannot use the balance shaft assembly with these!

These are applicable and should be considered for anyone flirting with the 400+ WHP land for any amount of time. Brian Slowe commented that after his last season that his stock main caps no longer had a snug fit... obviously it was time for an upgrade to prevent a catastrophic failure.

Features:

- Machined from billet SAE 1045
- Tensile strength of 90,500, about three times that of the block!
- Black oxide for an awesome look
- Utilizes all existing bolt holes save for only two!
- Beautiful construction with no abrupt height changes or cheap
appearance, and no chances of stress risers
- Pre-machined for the thrust beaing on number 3, with the bearing tangs
on all of them
- Uses the stock front and rear main to keep stock seals and retainer plates
- CNC Vertical Machined
- All certified domestic steel used, all made and machined in the US!

For those of you that know me and my car, I don't cheap out on stuff. I wanted the 100% best possible product to keep my crank (engine that is!) in place.

This carries the seal of approval from both Steve Menegon (BadFastGTC) and Brian Slowe (turbo2point2) who were both critical in the help and patience in the first run of these caps. Both were overly impressed with the quality of the pieces delivered. Specifically mentioned was that "the pictures don't do them justice."

To pull directly from the Pro-Gram site.......

"Pro-Gram Engineering has had the pleasure of serving the automotive community for 22 years and is proud to claim the title of the world's largest and best manufacturer of aftermarket main bearing caps. Dedicating ourselves to the principle of "quality, not quantity, is our #1 product" enables us to provide a superior part in design, manufacture and material. These principles have allowed us to provide parts to all facets of the automotive performance industry including NASCAR's Nextel, Busch and Craftsman series, NHRA Drag Racing, NTPA Tractor Pullers, Offshore and Drag Boat Racing as well as industrial and military applications.
Quality, as defined by Webster, is "the degree of excellence of a thing"; Pro-Gram Engineering strives to maintain an excellent quality in our materials and production methods.

Material: With the influx of lesser quality goods and materials to the US, Pro-Gram Engineering solely uses materials certified as produced in the US. This allows us to guarantee the quality of the materials used in our parts, which are critical in any performance application.
Equipment: The machinery and equipment used to manufacture our products is continually being maintained and upgraded to ensure the highest precision available.
Location: Pro-Gram Engineering manufactures all of it's goods here in the US. Our manufacturing facility is located in Barberton, OH, which allows us to have direct influence on our product quality and manufacturing methods.
Personnel: Pro-Gram Engineering proudly employs highly skilled men and women from the surrounding communities. The combined machining and manufacturing experience at our, and your, disposal is in excess of half a century. While already highly skilled and competent, Pro-Gram engineering's employees are continually trained in new manufacturing methods and techniques as well as CAD design and software. Pro-Gram Engineering's technical support team of Ken and Dan Anderson have been working and serving the automotive racing industry as father and son for 13 years while Ken has served the automotive community at large for over 43 years. "

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN A SET

I will have a final updated price within the next day or so. As it stands I sold the caps for $425 shipped. I actually lost money on one of the sets due to shipping snafu's on my part.

YES- I know there are cheaper available.
NO - I don't care. These guys are the best out there, with the
best reputation, period. Go ask pro-stock guys who's caps
they're running. If they tell you, it'll likely be Pro-Gram's. Off
shore racers? Same deal.
NO - I do not sell the bolts reuired with them. Your machine shop should
be able to order them with no hassle if they're capable of installing
the caps in the first place.
YES- A line bore and hone will be necessary after installation. This is
standard procedure when tweaking with your main bore.

Please PM me and I will add you to a list of names that I will continue to update on here. Once I get a number of people interested and the money in hand I will get them made up and shipped as fast as possible. Please inform me if you are in any sort of time crunch and I can let you know whether or not we can make the deadline.

Thanks for the interest!

http://www.pro-gram.com/index.jsp

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF0039.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF0042.JPG

turbovanmanČ
07-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Congrats man, welcome and you have a PM.

BadFastGTC
07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I had called Pro-Gram with refrence to the requirements of the outer bolts. They had said a Grade 8 or better will suffice. ARP does not make a short 10mm x 1.5 stud. They do have some that are 3.5" long that can be used for mounting of a windage screen/tray if one so desired. These caps are terrific gang. Aaron didn't post a picture of them looking down on the cap as it would be positioned in the block, but they sure are first class!

8valves
07-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I had called Pro-Gram with refrence to the requirements of the outer bolts. They had said a Grade 8 or better will suffice. ARP does not make a short 10mm x 1.5 stud. They do have some that are 3.5" long that can be used for mounting of a windage screen/tray if one so desired. These caps are terrific gang. Aaron didn't post a picture of them looking down on the cap as it would be positioned in the block, but they sure are first class!

Thank you much sir. I should do that actually... I don't have my camera in the car otherwise I could go snap some pictures after work. That would give people a great idea of how they fit though.

I know there isn't a huge market for this stuff though, so I doubt THAT many people really want a set.

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Stilll waiting, ;)

8valves
07-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Stilll waiting, ;)

So am I! I'm trying to see if I can get people a better price than what they are now. If not, they'll still be available, but at a higher price.

I should have an answer tommorow sometime. To have them made shouldn't take much time at all.

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2007, 07:55 PM
So am I! I'm trying to see if I can get people a better price than what they are now. If not, they'll still be available, but at a higher price.

I should have an answer tommorow sometime. To have them made shouldn't take much time at all.

Thanks.

8valves
07-22-2007, 09:05 AM
PRICE:

A big thanks to Pro-Gram for working with me on getting a lower price so that I can offer them for a better price to all of you!

The current price for all three main caps, shipped to your door to the lower 48 states is now only $399!! For those from neighboring Canada, I unfortunately have to bump that up a hair since these aren't lightweights and are quite costly to ship. Canada residents will be $415 shipped.

Price list including shipping
Lower 48: $399
Canada : $415

I need 4 orders paid in full to move along with this. Unfortunately I am not in any sort of financial position to pony up that kind of cash and hope people will buy. Maybe later in life! :p

I'm glad I could put out an excellent product at an extremely market competetive price range. Hopefully you guys agree!

Date of Completion:
Time table is roughed out at depending on when the order gets put in 2-6 weeks delivery time. The 6 weeks is there as a buffer for just in case situations.

Please post or PM me with your questions, concerns, or orders! Thanks... now I'm off to the track for the day!

glhs441
07-22-2007, 11:34 AM
How long do the bolts need to be? for both the inside and out side 10mm x 1.50 x ???
I can provide either 10.9 hex head or 12.9 socket head cap screws.

glhs441
07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Will the FWD 4 bolt main stud kit work with these?

Turbo Joe
07-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Surprised to see me here andy? anyhow good question. but the fwd bolt kit would be useless with these pro-gram mains. The fwd kit is designed to work with the "other" set availible. Props on these Aaron, they look real nice:thumb:

Turbo Joe
07-22-2007, 12:05 PM
damm, that answer didn't totally come out right.. in other words, the regular main stud kit is what you would want and then just add-in you bolts from your inventory. I'd go with 12.9 socket head. the 4bolt main kits are all long bolts, and these caps are stepped. Hope this clears up the confusing post i previously made..:p

turbovanmanČ
07-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Awesome price Aaron, thanks.

glhs441
07-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Could I not just use 12.9 socket heads for all the main bolts and save the $75
that the ARP main studs cost? What lengths would I need?

8valves
07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Could I not just use 12.9 socket heads for all the main bolts and save the $75
that the ARP main studs cost? What lengths would I need?

What you choose to run for bolts/studs is up to you and your engine builder. I would run no less than the ARP main stud kit for the centers, which work like stock mains, and then we're just using bolts for the outer holes. I believe the total length of the outers ends up being something like 75mm, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks to those that like them. Now I just need people to step up and buy them! :p

4 l-bodies
07-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Aaron,
PM sent.
Todd

8valves
07-24-2007, 09:40 PM
PM sent back, c'mon folks, help each other out and get two more people to buy and that way the price stays down for everyone!

glhs727
07-26-2007, 01:07 AM
actually those 4 bolt mains look just like ours (well except not black oxide) and if they use the existing holes for the balance shafts for the mounting holes on the outer, then our 4 bolt main stud kit would work for Pro-Gram mains as well as the mains we sell.
later,
Cindy

8valves
07-26-2007, 09:50 AM
actually those 4 bolt mains look just like ours (well except not black oxide) and if they use the existing holes for the balance shafts for the mounting holes on the outer, then our 4 bolt main stud kit would work for Pro-Gram mains as well as the mains we sell.
later,
Cindy

Cool, that makes life pretty easy I'd say. Do you have the bolt/stud dimensions so I can check against my block here? I'd like to make sure before I tell people they "should" work.

Thanks.

Mario
07-31-2007, 04:23 PM
The quality on these pieces is top notch. Nice background for the pictures by the way. ;)

8valves
08-05-2007, 05:22 PM
The quality on these pieces is top notch. Nice background for the pictures by the way. ;)

Thank you sir, hopefully you got in touch with Joe about the block, let me know please.

It looks like I might have a third buyer now, just one more and we're ready to go! Please PM me with any questions or concerns!

8valves
08-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Any more interest?

WickedShelby88
08-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Back from the dead I bring this thread.. Still doing these?

8valves
08-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I could, but not many people are interested, and doing them in small batches (less than four) is very pricy.

WickedShelby88
08-06-2008, 12:31 PM
I understand. I don't suppose a set of these would fit a tall deck block?

8valves
08-06-2008, 06:18 PM
nope, unless a tall deck is a common block. But they are an 87 aren't they?

BadAssPerformance
08-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Tall deck is '86-'88 2.5L N/A blocks. Similar to the CB but different. The main caps might work, not sure...

4 l-bodies
08-15-2008, 02:40 AM
These will work on a tall block, as they were drilled for balance shafts. I previously put together a 4 bolt main block that started out life as a tall block. At least the casting numbers suggest this. The main caps won't know the difference between the tall block and the common block.
If I could find a timing belt to fit with a Masi head and tall block, I would be all over that one. :eyebrows:
Todd

Bear
09-03-2008, 11:46 PM
TTT

Anybody out there interested in these? I'd like to buy 2 sets. Anyone?

Nick A.

2.216VTurbo
09-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Did we decide if Cindy's bolt set works with these?

I was gonna run a stock TC Masi motor in the Rampage I bought as 'running' but started looking at the one I have picked for it, it's not looking ready to run:o

8valves
09-04-2008, 12:58 PM

I was gonna run a stock TC Masi motor in the Rampage I bought as 'running' but started looking at the one I have picked for it, it's not looking ready to run:o

If not, the machine shop that did my shortblock for me sourced out the bolts with little hassle. Just a thought.

8valves
09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Update: I am awaiting a call back from PG for a final price quote on another run.

For anyone who needs a set and can put 50% down when asked please contact me via PM. Thanks.

4 l-bodies
09-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Alan,
If you decide to buy into these, I'll send you the ARP part #'s I used. Most of the dorks working the phones at ARP are of little help. They have a hard enough time answering the phone and breathing at the same time.
Todd

2.216VTurbo
09-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Alan,
If you decide to buy into these, I'll send you the ARP part #'s I used. Most of the dorks working the phones at ARP are of little help. They have a hard enough time answering the phone and breathing at the same time.
Todd

I'm in so let me know. Hey maybe you could set me up with some Diamonds for the Masi Motor at the same time:eyebrows: This build was way back burner but seems to be taking on a life of it's own;)...

8valves
09-23-2008, 05:07 PM
For those that were interested in a set please contact me via PM asap. Thanks.

2.216VTurbo
12-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Updates Aaron? Bout time to twist those guys at ProGrams' arms some more right?

8valves
12-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Updates Aaron? Bout time to twist those guys at ProGrams' arms some more right?

As per them they should be started on after the first of the new year. I'll be sure to call on the third for a check-up. :p

8valves
01-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Caps are done. Shipping soon. :)

snoman
02-14-2009, 06:40 PM
there any chance there are extras?
or someone sold their project and has these sitting around?

2.216VTurbo
02-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Caps are done. Shipping soon. :)

Got mine a couple weeks ago, they are three amazing pieces:thumb:

8valves
02-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Got mine a couple weeks ago, they are three amazing pieces:thumb:

Thanks bud. Glad you like them. Now if only there were five, right!? :D

BadFastGTC
02-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Aaron,

What is the recommeded clearance on the pads for these? The reason I ask is with the 410 sprint blocks, the cap ends (four bolt area) are set at .0005" minimum. Is it recommeded to do the same with these? Thanks Bro!

4 l-bodies
02-20-2009, 02:57 PM

#1 & 5, That's what MP billet caps are for.:eyebrows:
Todd

4 l-bodies
02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Aaron,

What is the recommeded clearance on the pads for these? The reason I ask is with the 410 sprint blocks, the cap ends (four bolt area) are set at .0005" minimum. Is it recommeded to do the same with these? Thanks Bro!
Steve,
I used .0015 on the two sets I bought. I would say .0005 would be the absolute minimum.
Todd

BadFastGTC
02-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Thank you!

Steve,
I used .0015 on the two sets I bought. I would say .0005 would be the absolute minimum.
Todd

135sohc
09-12-2009, 01:14 AM
I've already spoken with 8valves about getting another batch of these made up so consider this a bump to see if anyone else is interested.

Thank you.

Juggy
09-13-2009, 09:15 AM
#1 & 5, That's what MP billet caps are for.:eyebrows:
Todd

where do u get these?

4 l-bodies
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Cory,
Like lots of other parts, these have long since been discontinued. Watch Ebay and the other classified places. I picked up two new sets a couple years ago on Ebay. Because of the expense in align-boring and honing some people bought these and never used them. They came in a complete set of all five caps. MP part # P5249006. Maybe check with Mancini Racing. Looks like they had lots of parts they were trying to sell.
Todd

135sohc
09-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Bump :)

135sohc
09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Bump.

bakes
09-23-2009, 12:06 AM
im in for a set

135sohc
09-23-2009, 03:39 PM
good deal :thumb:

anyone else ? :bump2:

GLHNSLHT2
09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
I might be up for a set.

badandy
09-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Count me in. PM sent Aaron.

135sohc
09-29-2009, 02:36 AM
So 3 good to go, and 1 maybe ?

bakes
10-02-2009, 01:38 AM
come on is there no one else want in on this?

bump

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2009, 04:10 AM
I would but can't really spring for them now.

8valves
10-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Sorry I've been gone guys! Been super, super busy with work, and happen to be spending a bunch of social time with someone pretty damn cool as well! ;)

PM me if you have interest and are willing to make a 50% deposit. I will have a run starting within the next week.

Thanks guys!

rx2mazda
10-07-2009, 09:42 AM
count me in...$425?

badandy
10-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm still in Aaron. Sent you PM.

contraption22
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
... and happen to be spending a bunch of social time with someone pretty damn cool as well! ;)

http://ralree.info/assets/2007/8/1/o-face.jpg

8valves
10-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Fo sho! Hahahahaha!

bakes
10-09-2009, 08:10 PM
payment sent

135sohc
10-10-2009, 02:18 PM
payment sent

X2 :nod:

8valves
10-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Great guys, keep it rolling! :)

badandy
10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Aaron I need your paypal email addy for payment. I can find it anywhere :confused2:

8valves
10-16-2009, 06:48 PM
MillerTimeFab@gmail.com

Thanks!

Please PM me if you have sent payment, including your name and address so I can keep things organized. Thanks guys.

turbovanmanČ
10-19-2009, 01:54 AM
MillerTimeFab@gmail.com

Thanks!

Please PM me if you have sent payment, including your name and address so I can keep things organized. Thanks guys.

I thought you wanted an MO? :confused:

8valves
10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I certainly prefer them! With the Paypal setup it just costs you more money to include the 3% hit against me. Then I have a paper trail to keep things organized with as well.

As a last resort I'll use it, but I prefer not to.

turbovanmanČ
10-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I certainly prefer them! With the Paypal setup it just costs you more money to include the 3% hit against me. Then I have a paper trail to keep things organized with as well.

As a last resort I'll use it, but I prefer not to.

Ok, just making sure.

badandy
10-28-2009, 11:29 PM
My bad Aaron :o

Simon you freaking tattle tail :p

135sohc
11-12-2009, 11:55 PM
So has everyone who's posted up also paid up ? and if so is there any ETA on these ?

8valves
11-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Not everyone, but I went ahead and put the order through anyways. I was informed 1-2 weeks from yesterday. I doubt that, but I wouldn't complain if they follow through!

johnl
11-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Put me on the waiting list.

8valves
11-19-2009, 01:02 AM
No need. Show me the money and I can have them put an additional set on the order!

135sohc
11-19-2009, 03:42 PM
good to hear. Cause my ARP main stud kit came in the mail today from TU...

badandy
11-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Final payment sent Aaron. Thank you for getting these made. I probably didn't need them...but cool is cool and insurance never looked so good :thumb:

135sohc
12-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Mine were waiting for me when I got home today...

now to get my other caps in any day now and its full ahead :eyebrows:
A big thank you to 8Valves for ever doing this and everyone else who bought in this latest round.

badandy
12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Mine were waiting for me when I got home today...

now to get my other caps in any day now and its full ahead :eyebrows:
A big thank you to 8Valves for ever doing this and everyone else who bought in this latest round.

Other caps? I'd like to find the MP caps for the ends. is this what you mean by "other caps"?...if so where did you score them?

8valves
12-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Glad to hear they are arriving safely! That was the fastest batch turnaround ever. Thanks to ProGram for sticking to their word and keeping my customers and friends happy!

rx2mazda
12-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Glad to hear they are arriving safely! That was the fastest batch turnaround ever. Thanks to ProGram for sticking to their word and keeping my customers and friends happy!

PM sent:thumb:

badandy
12-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I just wanted to bump this thread because these things are killer! Great job Aaron on getting such a quality piece made up for our cars. I sure hope you don't give up on finding ways to offer up custom stuff for our niche market.:thumb:

rx2mazda
12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm looking to buy a set of these in January, anyone wanna start another group buy with me? Thanks!

contraption22
12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Carroll, I'll keep you in mind if I decide to build a 2.4.

rx2mazda
12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Carroll, I'll keep you in mind if I decide to build a 2.4.

Definitely, thanks Mike!

Pat
12-09-2009, 11:29 PM
How many is needed for a group buy?

135sohc
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
How many is needed for a group buy?

4 orders

rx2mazda
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Aaron said if push came to shove they would do just 1 order but they rather not. The more the better i'm sure.

Pat
12-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I'd be in. Keep me posted.

135sohc
12-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Aaron said if push came to shove they would do just 1 order but they rather not. The more the better i'm sure.

They give a 10% discount for orders over $1000. probably a reason for multiple orders to drop the price into TM'ers price range ;)

8valves
12-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I can keep the price where it is, the $425 shipped in the US, with 2-3 sets.

Glad everyone likes them! They truly are a really nice piece. There's nothing that compares with their quality on the market.

bakes
12-10-2009, 11:50 PM
My mains arrived today i cant say anything more about this pieces I'm speechless

thanks Aaron

8valves
12-11-2009, 08:26 AM
My mains arrived today i cant say anything more about this pieces I'm speechless

thanks Aaron

Good to hear! I was thinking they should be arriving any day now!

Thanks for the purchases guys!

rx2mazda
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Looks like Pat and I will be getting a set in January. anybody else?

contraption22
12-11-2009, 01:16 PM
You won't be disappointed. Really a high quality product.

dusterdude
12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
i might be able to scrape up enough pennys to get a set with the group in january.

8valves
12-12-2009, 06:32 PM
You won't be disappointed. Really a high quality product.

Thank you sir, much appreciated!

phase827
04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
so would a 89 csx vnt have any benifit from these?

badandy
04-05-2010, 12:19 PM
so would a 89 csx vnt have any benifit from these?

No real benefit unless you are shooting for very high horsepower and long time durability. If you are into the cool factor and piece of mind than that could be considered a benefit.

phase827
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
well i put a new head t-28 turbo stage 3 computer +20% steal turbolines everything was great then knock went the block so it has been sitting i am selling all my TIII stuff to fund a rebuild on my block i dont want any issuse i want to do this once and thats it total perfection and drive it all but 3-5 times a year thats kinda how it went anyhow. i may put my 568 in it aswell maybe some lsd for that. that do you think im only 23 and want this baby to last even tho i dont drive it much but i may drive it more when its all done but i dont like driving it in the rain. only have i been caught in it. ive done alot of work to it koni's and ss brake lines everything johnny sells. i want the the engine to last. so? is it worth it my power is very limited by it being a vnt. but she goes 20lbs boost!!

contraption22
04-05-2010, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan to make over 400hp.

phase827
04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
ok still it woulda been some un-seen bling

badandy
04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
There is no good reason for you to go with 4 bolt mains unless you plan to be over 400 hp IMO. I'm sure others have different opinions. Plenty of guys are at that horsepower level (and beyond) season after season year after year with no issues with the stock main caps.

I went with them and I probably don't/won't need them either for awhile...but I wanted to be sure.

Turbo3Iroc
12-31-2010, 07:43 PM
later,
Cindy

Cool, that makes life pretty easy I'd say. Do you have the bolt/stud dimensions so I can check against my block here? I'd like to make sure before I tell people they "should" work.

Thanks.

Has anyone determined if the FWD main stud kit works with these caps?

2.216VTurbo
12-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Mine are still in the box, the 9000RPM 2l build got pushed back by the Rampage RT re-build, and the IROC RT upgrades, and the GNX driveline swap, and a TC that needs a trans and...

135sohc
01-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Has anyone determined if the FWD main stud kit works with these caps?

The main caps sold by FWD do not taper down on the ends like these do.

Turbo3Iroc
01-01-2011, 12:31 PM
The main caps sold by FWD do not taper down on the ends like these do.

Thanks, I have an ARP kit that I'm going to try out and then see if the machine shop can get some short studs.

135sohc
01-01-2011, 12:36 PM
To the best of my knowledge ARP does not make a short enough stud to use with these but they do make a bolt that will work. Studs would be better IMO though so if you find something out there that will work please share the details if/when you install them.

Turbo3Iroc
01-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I saw that earlier in the thread that ARP does not make one that short. I will share what I find. Should be dropping it off on Monday if they are open.

8valves
01-01-2011, 10:17 PM
That would be correct. My engine builder ended up sourcing a bolt to work with them in my shortblock. I think that's what most people ended up doing. I know Brian Slowe has put together numerous short blocks with them thus far, so I'm sure he has found/tested a suitable fastener.

Turbo3Iroc
01-01-2011, 11:07 PM
There isn't an issue mixing bolts with studs?

black86glhs
01-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Mine are still in the box, the 9000RPM 2l build got pushed back by the Rampage RT re-build, and the IROC RT upgrades, and the GNX driveline swap, and a TC that needs a trans and...

Just take 2 weeks of vacation and you'll be caught up. :)

Directconnection
01-02-2011, 01:41 AM
There isn't an issue mixing bolts with studs?

As long as the bolts are used when the shop does your mainline. Never swap bolts to studs without having the mainline done, and vice-versa if that's what you're asking?

Juggy
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
yeah if everything is installed, torqued and then machined like its supposed to. you should not run into any issues with bolts and studs

Turbo3Iroc
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah, that's what I was looking for. Still going to ask if they can get studs that short. I imagine if using bolts and studs on the same cap you have to retorque the studs after the bolts are stretched?

bakes
01-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I known some builders that get real anal and paint stick / number all mounting bolts and studs before the block machining so they go back into the original position during reassembly.

Directconnection
01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah, that's what I was looking for. Still going to ask if they can get studs that short. I imagine if using bolts and studs on the same cap you have to retorque the studs after the bolts are stretched?

Hey Kelly, I'm a bit confused on your question. A lot of of SBC ProGram caps I've installed that had splayed bolts uses studs in the center position, and bolts in out outers (splayed). You simply torque your studs like normal and *then* do the outers. Never criss-cross... the outers really don't influence the housing bore size much anyways, but if the outers get torqued *before* the inners then it will affect the way the cap mates to the block. So, once the inner studs are torqued, (and remain torqued) then it is ok to re-torque the outers as many times as you want, but they don't need it. They already stretched and took a set from the few times they were torqued at the machine shop, anyways.... so one torque on the studs and bolts is all that is needed.

I known some builders that get real anal and paint stick / number all mounting bolts and studs before the block machining so they go back into the original position during reassembly.

It really does make good practice... yet we don't do this (our washer would remove the paint stick anyways) Not all the studs/bolts react exactly the same with the same torque. I am sure some have a wee bit more stretch than others, and that stretch affects the clamping load to a small degree.

When I do performance rods with "bolts" (L-19, 2000, Carr, etc...) I always lay them out on my bench after dis-assembly in order from #s 1-8 and L+R while the rods and caps are being magnafluxed (by me later). They do stretch a bit differently, so I can be assured the housing bores will check out the way the were resized at originally. (re-fresh job)

Turbo3Iroc
01-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Ok, so having bolts outside of studs is not uncommon. I'm learning here, haven't dealt with main caps before. Thanks for the explanation of the torque sequence.

Directconnection
01-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Ok, so having bolts outside of studs is not uncommon. I'm learning here, haven't dealt with main caps before. Thanks for the explanation of the torque sequence.

No problem.

4 l-bodies
01-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Kelly,
Here is the ARP hardware that most all of us used on the Pro-gram outer bolts.
M10X1.5x50uhl ARP # 662-1007 Bolts and washers. Blisterpak 5 to pack. You will need 2 packs, and you'll have some spares.
I have found on some blocks that you will need to double up on washers even after using bottoming tap. Careful with this as the bolts will be real close to bottoming out. One block was tapped deep enough while the other wasn't, so you need to check it.
Obviously also need to drill and tap block for the outer #4 cap, as the balance shaft cage stopped at #3.
Todd

Turbo3Iroc
01-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Kelly,
Here is the ARP hardware that most all of us used on the Pro-gram outer bolts.
M10X1.5x50uhl ARP # 662-1007 Bolts and washers. Blisterpak 5 to pack. You will need 2 packs, and you'll have some spares.
I have found on some blocks that you will need to double up on washers even after using bottoming tap. Careful with this as the bolts will be real close to bottoming out. One block was tapped deep enough while the other wasn't, so you need to check it.
Obviously also need to drill and tap block for the outer #4 cap, as the balance shaft cage stopped at #3.
Todd

Thanks Todd. I'll pass that on to my machinist.

Dave
12-16-2011, 04:25 PM
ARP-AM2725-2B is the PN for a 69.2mm OAL stud ARP2000. 1.500"/1.250" thread lengths. In case anyone wanted to know. This is the closest stud length ARP sells off the shelf.