PDA

View Full Version : 1987 CSX Restoration

GLHS592
07-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Since I have decided to purchase the 1987 CSX, I might as well start looking for restoration parts. I know very little about non L-body cars. Is the seat/door panel fabric available anywhere? Is that blue body trim strip available or is that something I'd have to paint? I'm guessing the rubber window trim/door seals are probably unavailable. Please list any CSX parts that are still available new. Tips, links, pointers, etc. will be appreciated.

lowrango
07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
the fabric on seats is csx and 87 plymouth sundance only...someone changed my interior on my csx so i have no matching seats :( . the blue stripe is a sticker, positiveimpressions i think is the place that makes a new decal kit for shelby cars(someone please correct me if i'm wrong). as for your other questions, i would be interested in knowing also. my csx has been sitting for almost 3 years, just being restarted a few days ago, i got the bug to get her back on the road but she too needs work(not as much as the csx you picked up, cosmetically speaking). good luck with it and post pics of the build up as you go along.

GLHS592
07-14-2007, 04:35 PM
I didn't think about Positive Impressions making that blue strip. I didn't even know it was a decal. I still gotta go pick the car up before I can figure out what all I need.

It will be a while before I actually start working on the car. I'm going to freshen up my GLHS first.

ShelbyMotorsports
07-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I didn't think about Positive Impressions making that blue strip. I didn't even know it was a decal. I still gotta go pick the car up before I can figure out what all I need.

It will be a while before I actually start working on the car. I'm going to freshen up my GLHS first.

The blue stripe is basically a wide pinestripe decal.

Can't think of any CSX parts that are still available from Chrysler. Even Shadow parts are hard to come by. Things like coolant bottles, washer reservoirs, window trim, door habdles, interior trim are all NS1. Heck even the plastic bezel that goes around the radio/boost gauge is NS1.

Remember the P bodies have been out of production for 14 model years now.

GLHS592
07-14-2007, 10:05 PM
I didn't know if any parts were still in the system. I got the last Shelby Charger nose listed in the Mopar parts system in 2004. I thought maybe Shadow parts might still be there since they ran 7 years after the Charger went out of production.

CSX321
07-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Back when I restored the interior of my '87, the trim shop was able to find an almost exact match for the seat material.

Marcus86GLHS
07-15-2007, 05:29 AM
i'd recommend making a list of parts you want to get NOS replacements for and head to your local dodge dealer, for free he can do a national stock search and provide you with contact info for dealers who show the item still on the shelf, believe me just when you think theres nothing left you will find that elusive item. i found plenty of stuff that was NS1 and still sitting on some obscure shelf in Idaho or wherever.

OMNI-Potent
07-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Kevin,

I've collected a lot of parts while getting my 87 put back together.

Once you figure out what you need, let me know.

Thanks!

dodgeshadowchik
07-15-2007, 06:52 PM
yea, like window scrapers! i need those badly for my csx! i had the dealer do a national parts search for the scraper and found one in NY. So i called the dealer there to find out that the part is damaged.... and that's why he's been sitting on it forever. :(

BadAssPerformance
07-15-2007, 07:55 PM
the fabric on seats is csx and 87 plymouth sundance only...

'87 Shadow's, ES's for sure, had those seats too.

lowrango
07-15-2007, 08:35 PM
'87 Shadow's, ES's for sure, had those seats too.

i never knew that..my 88 es had the nicer seats. i had a plain jane 87, that had seats just like the 88 csx-t's. never looked inside a 87 shadow es tho :confused:

i need to find an interior for my csx...even if the seats need work... i hate having the incorrect seats and door panels when every other "shelby" item is present in car.

moparfwdsleeper
07-15-2007, 09:16 PM
yea, like window scrapers! i need those badly for my csx! i had the dealer do a national parts search for the scraper and found one in NY. So i called the dealer there to find out that the part is damaged.... and that's why he's been sitting on it forever. :(

lol I found that out too! what ws you told the cost was... $75bucks shipped was quoted to me.

CSX321
07-15-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm almost afraid to admit this... :o I have a brand new pair of window scrapers out in the garage, still in the package. I got them several years ago when they were still available, intending to put them on my '87. I probably will put them on the '89 now instead.

I got really lucky. When I ordered them, the parts guy told me it would be $150-something dollars total. When they came in, he said he'd made a mistake and that was supposed to be EACH. But he honored the original price and sold me BOTH for that price!

GLHS592
07-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I guess I'd better be scrounging the junkyards.

Turbo3Iroc
07-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Kevin,

Andy Stachar had the blue body trim pieces for sale at SDAC, they looked pretty mint!

GLHS592
07-15-2007, 10:21 PM
I talked to Andy yesterday. I guess I didn't mention the CSX to him. Thanks.

Kevin,

I've collected a lot of parts while getting my 87 put back together.

Once you figure out what you need, let me know.

Thanks!

Greg, I'll do it.

I might have to order a couple parts from you for my silver car too.

Scottmon
07-16-2007, 04:06 PM
SMS Auto Fabric has the correct '87 CSX seat fabric.

I'm looking for a set of window scrapers for my CSX as well. Cheaped out and missed the boat when they were still available new. :banghead:

Scottmon
07-16-2007, 04:13 PM
i'd recommend making a list of parts you want to get NOS replacements for and head to your local dodge dealer, for free he can do a national stock search and provide you with contact info for dealers who show the item still on the shelf, believe me just when you think theres nothing left you will find that elusive item. i found plenty of stuff that was NS1 and still sitting on some obscure shelf in Idaho or wherever.

If you have the part numbers you can also do a search for them on partsvoice.com

CSX321
07-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I asked SMS once if they could reproduce the "SHELBY" fabric. They said they could if they had a good sample, but I didn't ask what it would cost. A pretty penny, I'm sure.

Scottmon
07-17-2007, 08:40 AM
I asked SMS once if they could reproduce the "SHELBY" fabric. They said they could if they had a good sample, but I didn't ask what it would cost. A pretty penny, I'm sure.

I actually received a sample of the CSX seat fabric SMS had in stock. If it isn't identical, it's really close.

CSX321
07-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, it shouldn't be hard to find a real close match to the '87 fabric. I asked them about the stuff with the word "SHELBY" woven into it. Does anybody know who bought that bolt of that cloth on eBay a few years back?

ShelbyMotorsports
07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
I actually received a sample of the CSX seat fabric SMS had in stock. If it isn't identical, it's really close.

Haven't looked into it in years but thats what I recall for both the 86 GLHS and the 1987 CSX. Upholstery shops can come real close to the oem silver/gray corduroy fabric but it isn't 100% correct.

Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference but if you were to place a piece of oem fabric next to the current fabric there is a difference.

rich tideswell
11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
any one provide a sample for the 89 csx cloth?

CSX321
11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
I have an '89 rear seat back with a big hole in it. It could be used for a sample.

rich tideswell
11-07-2007, 03:05 PM
I have an '89 rear seat back with a big hole in it. It could be used for a sample.

please do let them use it as a sample. I'm sure there are lots of csx and regular shadow owners out there who would like that interior.

who knows, maybe they'll make the pattern and send your cover back to you fixed :D

www.smsautofabrics.com

jonnyb
11-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I got a sample from them and it is almost a perfect match. The reason I say "almost perfect" is because I remember my old 87 Shadow ES when it was brand new, and I recall the fabric having a slightly higher, rounded pile to the chords. The sample I got had the same color, texture and chord widths, but the pile of the chords seems flatter than I remember mine being in my old 87 ES when it was new.

However, when I hold it up to my beat up seats in my 87 csx, it's pretty much a perfect match...LOL!

As far as reproducing the 89 csx material, I have tried with no luck. I had several fabric shops say they would do it, but then when they saw the material they changed their minds. Most of them stated that they didn't realize that when I originally spoke with them that the "Shelby" embroidery that I was looking for was in reference to Carroll Shelby, and when they realized that's what it was for, they all backed out because they did not want to risk copyright infringement :mad:

rich tideswell
11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I got a sample from them and it is almost a perfect match. The reason I say "almost perfect" is because I remember my old 87 Shadow ES when it was brand new, and I recall the fabric having a slightly higher, rounded pile to the chords. The sample I got had the same color, texture and chord widths, but the pile of the chords seems flatter than I remember mine being in my old 87 ES when it was new.

However, when I hold it up to my beat up seats in my 87 csx, it's pretty much a perfect match...LOL!

As far as reproducing the 89 csx material, I have tried with no luck. I had several fabric shops say they would do it, but then when they saw the material they changed their minds. Most of them stated that they didn't realize that when I originally spoke with them that the "Shelby" embroidery that I was looking for was in reference to Carroll Shelby, and when they realized that's what it was for, they all backed out because they did not want to risk copyright infringement :mad:

i can certianly understand not wanting to risk a copywrite infrindgement, BUT there are companies that reproduce the shelby decals, and not all of them are licensed products and they don't have any issues.

what would it take/ cost to get the fabric liscened by shelby as to avoid any confrontation with the legal beagles??

turbokid
11-13-2007, 01:50 PM
well if we end up parting an 89 csx... Hit real hard in the front passenger side... interior is flawless... 80,000 original miles all drive train is there. Ill keep you updated on what the destiny of the car will be.

rich tideswell
11-13-2007, 04:24 PM
well if we end up parting an 89 csx... Hit real hard in the front passenger side... interior is flawless... 80,000 original miles all drive train is there. Ill keep you updated on what the destiny of the car will be.

post pics of the damage

turbokid
11-13-2007, 05:14 PM
right on will do this weekend when i can get to the salvage yard. I have lotsa pictures to take of my car and i will get some of the shelby and some other misc. daytona parts that people have been asking for

turbokid
11-21-2007, 04:34 PM
took pictures of the damage today... will post tonight

rich tideswell
11-21-2007, 06:52 PM
took pictures of the damage today... will post tonight

oooo, way to build suspense;)

turbokid
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
works well =)

turbokid
11-21-2007, 11:20 PM
here are a couple i have many more that i can send to ppl upon request
http://i4.tinypic.com/6yme3jb.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/6qdac8j.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/8dy9r3s.jpg

turbokid
11-22-2007, 12:53 AM
http://i9.tinypic.com/8ggever.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/6lc4hoo.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/87jxuno.jpg

turbokid
11-22-2007, 12:54 AM
http://i13.tinypic.com/71wmz9t.jpg

BadAssPerformance
11-22-2007, 02:05 AM

Ouch! What number is it?

rich tideswell
11-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Ouch! What number is it?

i was about to ask the same thing, but the dash plaque is missing

bad: the dash plaque is missing, grille is trashed, bumpers trashed, missing driver door panel, radiator and intercooler prolly took a healthy shot..... sittiing rocker deep in mud

good: steering wheel is present, medalions present, fiberides look alright on the passenger side (no driver pics to compare)

can one of you CSX afficonado's help me out here: on the rear bumper skin, his has the notch for the exhuast pipe, but the vast majority i've seen don't have that notch cut out, was there 2 different bumpers?

post up more pics of the driver side/ interior. do you have the missing parts??? looks fixable if you can find an 89 turbo car to get parts from

CSX321
11-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Is the engine serial number plaque there on the radiator support?

I don't know about the rear bumper cover. I don't think I've seen one like that.

So are some of these parts going to be available? :eyebrows: I see several things I'd like to have.

rich tideswell
11-22-2007, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=CSX321;237702]I don't know about the rear bumper cover. I don't think I've seen one like that.QUOTE]

i have, but it was offered by Kalminari, not sold through dealers

http://www.kaminari.com/products/92ShadowSundance.htm

turbokid
11-22-2007, 01:50 PM
the drivers side door panel is sitting in the backseat. some idiot broke out the window but it has a new window and all the hardwear to put the panel back on. Yes the Plaque is missing. We have the front end, the front gfx, a power bulge hood, it needs a passenger side rail but we have the front end of a shadow to put it back together, the radiator and intercooler are good *been tested no leaky fluid or no cracks, the passenger side fiber rides are junk *splintered* the drivers side are perfect. The car only looks like it is sitting in mud because of the elevation and the way i took the pictures. the side tires are junk and flat so that also adds to that effect. It is sitting against a fence so any drivers side photos i have are kinda crappy but ill post the best one.
http://i17.tinypic.com/8bp5q4m.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/81k2ezt.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/81qrigx.jpg

turbokid
11-22-2007, 01:51 PM
http://i12.tinypic.com/72gaxpw.jpg

turbokid
11-22-2007, 01:52 PM
if you guys want anymore pictures i go back to the yard on friday.

turbokid
11-22-2007, 01:57 PM
http://i15.tinypic.com/7yn7wqf.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/8evo1gi.jpg

rich tideswell
11-22-2007, 02:34 PM
:thumb: nice project man, sorry to hear about the fiberides

and now that i look at the back bumper in other pics, its totally different than the other 2 I've seen...

theres the stocker, and then theres the aftermarket kaminari that looks like the OEM, but has some extra scoops on the side.....this one is another beast entirely...

CSX321
11-22-2007, 03:18 PM
theres the stocker, and then theres the aftermarket kaminari that looks like the OEM, but has some extra scoops on the side.....this one is another beast entirely...
This must be the "newer" Kaminari. The current front airdam from them doesn't have the scoops, either, and basically matches the CSX one.