PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my 1987 GLHS

GLHS592
07-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I own a car that drives me nuts. It has around 50,300 original miles on it. I haven't put 200 miles on it since SDAC-12. I'm more into fast cars than I am restored cars at this point in my life. The only reason I keep it is because I know I'd regret it if I ever sold it. Here it is: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263503.

It's getting to the point where I need to do some stuff to it. Some of the light grey interior plastic discolored in places while I had it stored in a friend's garage. I plan to redye those pieces and install a new headliner. Other than that, the interior looks great. It needs some detailing under the hood. I'm going to pull the engine and tranny and degrease/detail them. I'm also going to put in a new clutch and fix all the leaks while they are out.

Here's my dilemna: I want to repaint the car, but I don't think I should. It has mostly factory paint on it. If you look at the car, you might think it looks rough around the edges as far as the paint goes. But, if you consider it is black Chrysler paint from the 1980's, it looks great. A car is only original once, but the paint drives me crazy.

What do you think?

johnl
07-09-2007, 09:55 PM
As you know, ya gotta make up your mind about what'll make you happy.

Do you want a modified car, or a stock car?
Are you keeping it for future value, or for present fun and satisfaction?
Future value - leave it alone. Do nothing.

If you're gonna pull the trans and do the clutch and detail it out, but then do nothing but park it, then why bother?

If you want to fix stuff and paint it and detail it out - because that makes you happy, then go for it. But, if you're gonna do that, then why not drive it for a while first? - you'll be (pretty much) fixing the wear and tear anyway.

Marcus86GLHS
07-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Kevin your decision on the exterior paint is same one i am considering, do you give up the "originality factor" for a much nicer paint job (no such thing as nice original paint on any 80's mopar).

unlike those super-high dollar collector cars, i really do not think original paint plays much of a factor in the value of a glhs, a small amount yes but not a lot considering even a perfect glhs isnt worth much.

i have decided to do a full-blown resto on my glhs in 2011 on the 25th anniversery. done correctly, a high quality full exterior restoration (say $8K in parts and labor) will really make your car special..........of course i would not advise this expenditure if your short range plans are to sell it.

Tony Hanna
07-10-2007, 06:43 AM
I definately don't envy the decision you're faced with Kevin. It's a really good example of why I've tried to stay away from the numbered cars. I tend to agree with John though. It's your car, so pick the option that you feel best about.

GLHS592
07-10-2007, 07:30 AM
It's a really good example of why I've tried to stay away from the numbered cars.

The crazy thing is I'm thinking about picking up 1987 CSX #296 because it's such a good deal and has ALL of its Shelby specific parts. :banghead:

88_pacifica
07-10-2007, 08:27 AM
paint it... make it look as pristine as possible. That's what people will really appreciate. I doubt our cars will ever make it to Barrett-Jackson... :D

86Shelby
07-10-2007, 10:48 AM
If you paint it do it right. Don't half-a$$ any of it. If you don't paint it take good care of what you have. Both are good options.

GLHS592
07-10-2007, 05:20 PM
If you paint it do it right. Don't half-a$$ any of it.

Then it won't be factory correct. :p Do you actually think I'd half --- it? ;)

85glht
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
but the paint drives me crazy.

I think you answered your own question. (I voted to paint it anyways).

Also if you do not plan on selling it, then, who cares if the paint is original or not. Just my $.02 :amen:

GLHS592
07-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Part of me wants it to look the best it can. The other part of me wants it to remain original, which isn't terrible.

I'm just going to detail the engine bay, redye the light grey interior parts, and go from there.

bfarroo
07-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Pick up the CSX, that looks like it would be a good year or two project. That will give you time to decide which way you want to go with the GLHS.

88_pacifica
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
...redye the light grey interior parts...

There you go.... all true originality.. gone.... I voted re-paint and this confirms it!... :thumb:

MiniMoparKing
07-14-2007, 11:02 AM
(no such thing as nice original paint on any 80's mopar).

Not true, take THIS!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/kingcalibra/Daytona/Image068.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/kingcalibra/Daytona/Image0621.jpg

Dodgeglht
07-14-2007, 11:22 AM
wow! shocking. an original 80's paint. how'd you do that? As for Kevin & GLHS 592, honestly I looked at the pics & it doesn't look bad at all. Personally I would keep the original paint, but it's one of those things where it's your car & ultimately you gotta do what you think is best.

GLHS592
07-14-2007, 04:42 PM
As for Kevin & GLHS 592, honestly I looked at the pics & it doesn't look bad at all. Personally I would keep the original paint, but it's one of those things where it's your car & ultimately you gotta do what you think is best.

Well, you know how cars can look much better in pictures. The paint is thin. I also put a big scratch on the passenger side door with my floor jack handle. I also messed up the beltline decal on the right corner of the nose. The worst thing that ever happened to the car was the restoration of my Shelby Charger. The GLHS picked up all kinds of scratches while it was sitting around and being moved in and out of the garage while spraying the Shelby Charger.

Dodgeglht
07-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Oh yes, I do know how that is. My GLHT doesn't look too good in person, but really good in pictures. As long as you're happy with it I guess it doesn't matter.

Aries_Turbo
07-14-2007, 05:45 PM
if you havent put 200 miles on it in 5 years and it isnt a high dollar collectors car, id sell it and put the cash into making faster, less rare machines and let someone else worry about its originality. i say put the cash into making a RWD charger like youve talked about.

Brian

GLHS592
07-14-2007, 10:33 PM
if you havent put 200 miles on it in 5 years and it isnt a high dollar collectors car, id sell it and put the cash into making faster, less rare machines and let someone else worry about its originality. i say put the cash into making a RWD charger like youve talked about.

Oh, I've thought about this. In fact, the guy I bought it from would like to have it back. The problem with that is I've become attached to the car over the years. I hear all kinds of stories about people that regret the day they sold a car. I know I'd kick myself years from now if I sold it. My wife would have a fit if I sold it too. The last time I talked about selling the car, she got pretty irritated.

The reason I haven't driven it much in the last 5 years is due to being too busy. I helped a buddy build a Porsche Spyder replica, rebuilt my Shelby Charger, got married, and lived in an apartment for a year with everything I own in storage. The only thing keeping me from driving it now is the fact that I'd have to take off from work to go get a license plate. :lol:

Aries_Turbo
07-14-2007, 11:19 PM
yeah I hear ya. im still kicking myself for trading my 88 fiero for my taurus SHO. id love to drop a 2.4 and a 555 or 568 in a fiero. those trannies arent that different than the fiero trans. shoudnt be that bad of a swap. hehe

Brian

Dusty_Duster
07-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Personally, I never understood what was so great about keeping a car 100% original. If it looks good, who cares? Paint it.

GLHS592
07-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Personally, I never understood what was so great about keeping a car 100% original. If it looks good, who cares? Paint it.

Maybe because the car might be rare. I have no reason to modify the GLHS. I have a worthless Shelby Charger that I can modify.