PDA

View Full Version : Need electrical help on 85GLHT

chrisn
07-09-2007, 02:36 AM
I have an 85 GLHT, converted to 87 TII. It has electrical... issues. The starter, fuel pump and ingnition switch were not getting power. My J1 (I think) power feed was bad, so I replaced it. Judging from my 89 Minivan FSM J2 feeds all of the things that do not have power but I cannot find a problem with the wires. I ran a wire to the ignition switch (new switch, new relay) another to the fuel pump, and jump the brown starter wire to positive. This works, but the car does not run. It did run for a few seconds with carb cleaner, after which I hot wired the fuel pump.

After that I replaced the fuel filter and rubber lines and aired out the garage. I checked the plugs and they were getting spark (maybe not enough?) and were wet with fuel. The intake is grounded, the fuel rail has two grounds. All that has 12.04 volts, except the fuel pump which has around 10.

I replaced the ignition relay (I believe that is the name) and when cranked the solitary wire does not get voltage, which I believe feeds the starter. Cranking the ignition does not do anything, but in does do something in the "run" position. Everything *looks* like it should be fine, the fusible links look okay and I checked the relevant ones and they were okay. A wiring diagram would be very helpful if anyone could share that with me.

Things that are "weird" include: The coolant sensor in the head is not connected, the car came that way. I grabbed another wire (purple with yellow tracer) off another car but cannot find the other end on the harness. There was a loose solid purple wire with a bare end wrapped around the oil pressure sending unit, painted black. Is that correct, or could it be for the CTS? There also was a black wire dangling near the O2 sensor, which I connected it to. Any ideas how to check if that is correct or not? I put a new battery in, charged it, and am charging it again since it only 12.06 volts, should be 14.4?

Near the fuse box is a bit of harness and connector which had been painted black. One of the wires, assumed to go in the top right spot was broken. I couldn't separate the plug so I wired around it. This plug has two yellow wires jammed into one spot, and the lower right corner is plugged (like it came that way). I don't know what to make of this.

Any troubleshooting tips or any info would be greatly appreciated:D I'm sure I forgot several things. I checked all the fuses, they all seem to be there and checked okay (no resistance). Could any of this be a bad LM or coil? I have spares of those.

Thanks for any help:thumb:

chrisn
07-09-2007, 04:14 PM
*Just* noticed, at the very top of the page, in big letters stating "read this first", a link to wiring diagrams, so I am looking at that now.