PDA

View Full Version : Any real Diff between LM for ATX vs MTX?

powermaxx
07-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Recently swapped an A413 into the GLHS and left the 87 TU 3 Bar Cal in place (setup for a manual trans). I know there are some differences but would any of them contribute to slow take offs, low stall on the converter (2200rpm), slow to spool turbo (T3/T4), etc...?

I'm wondering about timing advance curves? Iniital advance, etc... I have a Steve M. G-head just to make things more interesting.

I can burn my own chips but just haven't had a real need to do so. This may change things though! Any tips let me know. I'll be spending some time over at the Chem site this weekend.

BadAssPerformance
07-07-2007, 02:00 PM
I think the Shelby Lancers might have had different LM's for ATX ans MTX?

I cannot imagine what would be different tho.

turbovanmanČ
07-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Stock computers, I was told the differences were minor and mostly the idle part. Now for custom, I would assume they would change alot of items. On my old TU cal, Paul changed alot of stuff to work with the auto so in that case, yes, that is probably why your having spooling issues. Also, if your running a G-head on a swirl cal, that will also wreak havoc, I noticed more lag when I ran a g-head with a swirl cal.

Aries_Turbo
07-07-2007, 02:46 PM
there is some boost control stuff thats different and a few other things. not that big of a deal.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
07-07-2007, 05:28 PM
there is some boost control stuff thats different and a few other things. not that big of a deal.

Brian

A stock cal yeah, but Paul's was custom for every application so that will be why he's having issues.

Aries_Turbo
07-07-2007, 11:11 PM
yeah I know he changes alot of stuff but without data on how the ecu is behaving and affecting things (afr's, timing while brake boosting etc, egts etc) you cant pinpoint it totally on the cal.

as you know it will be a while till paul makes changes to his cals so you might wanna get a burner and some 27sf512 flash chips.

Brian

GLHNSLHT2
07-07-2007, 11:39 PM
the fueling is a bit different in places too.

powermaxx
07-08-2007, 09:41 AM
yeah I know he changes alot of stuff but without data on how the ecu is behaving and affecting things (afr's, timing while brake boosting etc, egts etc) you cant pinpoint it totally on the cal.

as you know it will be a while till paul makes changes to his cals so you might wanna get a burner and some 27sf512 flash chips.

Brian

Had a burner for some time and Chem2. I guess I just needed a final push to use it. :) I'm not familiar with that chip number though? (27C128 are the ones I've got for the 87 LM's). Or I can throw that SDS system I have on there but that's for another project. :nod:

2.216VTurbo
07-08-2007, 10:17 AM
I looked thru your slow ET high MPH thread and the first thing I thought of was a boost leak. I've never run an auto so not gonna be any help there but when I was getting crappy ET's with too big of MPH couple years ago at Mopars at the Strip, my issue turned out to be a cracked intake manifold. Mine is sheet metal so it could 'suck shut' under vacuum but as soon as boost was added, it would open and motor would run very soft. Kind of like you describe, very slow to spool.

Are you absolutly sure your aren't leaking boost somwhere? Wastegate issue? That 15mm bracket bolt left out of the underside of the manifold? Something? Triple check it, pressurize the whole intake side with compressed air if you can, that's how I found my leak(s):)

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Interesting thought Alan...

mw6886
07-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey Steve, send me an email, maybe we can get some of these bugs worked out in the (crappy) cal.

shelby22t at gmail.com

Once we do, we can let everyone know what was up.

powermaxx
07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I looked thru your slow ET high MPH thread and the first thing I thought of was a boost leak. I've never run an auto so not gonna be any help there but when I was getting crappy ET's with too big of MPH couple years ago at Mopars at the Strip, my issue turned out to be a cracked intake manifold. Mine is sheet metal so it could 'suck shut' under vacuum but as soon as boost was added, it would open and motor would run very soft. Kind of like you describe, very slow to spool.

Are you absolutly sure your aren't leaking boost somwhere? Wastegate issue? That 15mm bracket bolt left out of the underside of the manifold? Something? Triple check it, pressurize the whole intake side with compressed air if you can, that's how I found my leak(s):)

Not a boost problem at all. I can get 25psi with no problem once I get to the RPM (about 3500 or so...) where the turbo starts spooling! :D Then it's like a bat out of hell. The tires (Falken's) start breaking loose at the top of 2nd gear. (That is fun, freaks people out at the track too! But not good for racing). The car was running very well when the manual trans was in (just had some power loss light flickers which I think is a loose or a bad knock sensor). Ran 12.2's at 115 so I think the mechanicals are good. New convertor (Pat's :thumb: ) is on it's way also.

powermaxx
07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey Steve, send me an email, maybe we can get some of these bugs worked out in the (crappy) cal.

shelby22t at gmail.com

Once we do, we can let everyone know what was up.

You're on!:thumb: