PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Fuel Pump

devlish
07-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok, i did a quick search here and on the other site... nothing useful.

My fuel pump became very loud earlier this week. it started to whine quite loud, even noticeable when driving if you pay attention, but definetly heard when idling. supposedly it is a walbro 255 put in by a previous owner, but should have low miles on it. approx 5k miles only by now i'm assuming. but i suppose it could just go bad. anyways, that's what i'm wondering... would that be the sign of a pump gone bad?? i've read that a bad ground on the pump can cause a whine like that, but everything visible from the outside of the tank is fine. i suppose i'll have to dig inside to verify its all good in there.

any tips or ideas as to what might cause that? (86 Omni GLHT2)

thanks in advance
~Kurt

overlordsshadow
07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
My stocker used to whine like there was no tommorow and the walbro I have in now makes good amount of noise on prime. The stocker was from an N/A and it worked well with 14 psi boost, just made lots of noise.

devlish
07-06-2007, 03:07 PM
yeah, but it was dead quiet up until this past weekend... something changed. i'm thinking it just went bad somehow. or, a bad ground inside maybe... will have to check into this i guess. argh.... i want it quite again, something is not right that it changed all of a sudden.

Turbodave
07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
It's probably the pump, I've had a few do that for some reason. I have had noisy ones that last years like that, never tore one apart to see what caused it.

Dave
07-06-2007, 05:08 PM
The amount of fuel in your tank will help muffle the noise. All 255's I've ever delt with have been loud. Big fuel pumps seem to always whine real loud. Don't worry about it.

devlish
07-06-2007, 08:52 PM
well, like i said... it was never noisy before, no matter how much fuel was in there. and i've had 255's before, never been like this...

doesn't matter anymore anyways, got out to the parkinglot after dinner tonight, and it wouldn't start. seemed starved for fuel!! so i towed it to my buddies, and just stopped home now to grab the fuel pressure gauge. anyone wanna take a guess what could be wrong?? :-) i'm thinking fuel pump. i wonder if my DSM Walbro 255 is the same? gotta brand new one in the basement. otherwise no autox for me this tuesday... bummer!!

will find out what it was and post.

owell, as soon as its is running great... of course something else takes a dive. hopefully the GF's new car doesn't do that... then i'll have even more to fix!

turbovanmanČ
07-06-2007, 10:03 PM
The amount of fuel in your tank will help muffle the noise. All 255's I've ever delt with have been loud. Big fuel pumps seem to always whine real loud. Don't worry about it.

My 255 in my van is quieter than the stocker.

A few things to check-make sure the fuel filter isn't plugged up or dirty, they can cause the pump to whine. Also check fuel pressure, if the reg goes bad, this again can cause the whine. If both are good then either the sender came apart or the pump just went bad.

tryingbe
07-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Change it now before it goes bad and melt your pistons.

rivelandmotorsports
07-06-2007, 10:23 PM
:eyebrows: does anyone have a fuel pump sending unit for a 86 shelby charger turbo !!!! please help car is down rusted in 2 email me rivelandmotorsports@gmail.com

Dave
07-07-2007, 12:49 AM
I had a 255 in my Spirit, in my Sundance, in my van, in my dad's van... they all whined like that. Everything in my fuel system is brand new in my van.