PDA

View Full Version : how to repaint intake/valve cover

spaceman
07-01-2007, 09:04 PM
i have a one piece intake and a turbo valve cover that is chipped or chipping
and i want to repaint them is there any particular way to paint or what product to use .i tried primmer than a good paint but chips easy ,also have other little brakets that could use it also ,dont want to throw rusted a$$ parts on a fresh motor. any ideas would help

scott

87glhs232
07-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Powdwer coating is your best bet, but paint is more affordable. Clean the parts really well with cleaner,degreaser first. Then wash them with a good dish soap, I prefer dawn. When I paint my parts I use Duplicolor 500* or 1200* paint....1200 for intake, valvecover, block and other things that take the brunt of the heat. Then I use 500* for misc parts and accesories. I never used primer. I did my 'S that way with good results, and I'm doing my 'tona right now with the same stuff.
As far as chipping goes I like to mask the area that have bolts or washers rubbing on them, as that tends to chip it. But other than that, I've accidentally nailed my VC with a socket wrench and it didn't chip.

spaceman
07-01-2007, 09:51 PM
thanks ,thats high temp engine paint right not regular auto paint ,just make sure i got that (its one of those days ).i should wire wheel all the rest of the paint off the intake first ,its just chiped from sitin in the j-yard

WVRampage
07-01-2007, 10:01 PM
the valvecovers are cleared from the factory so I just use aircraft coating remover on them then sand lightly and paint.

moparfwdsleeper
07-01-2007, 10:08 PM
brake caliper paint is next to best from powder coating. the chipping is probably cause the parts arent as clean as they should be. If you do use primer(not a bad idea if using a light color) let it completely dry over night then lightly go over it with a scotchbrite pad the finest you can get. use a mild cleaner/degreaser. let all that dry for a few hours then spray it with engine paint. my block is about to be stripped of engine paint and caliper paint applied cause mines not as clean as it should be, i hate my old machine shop and there shi--y work

spaceman
07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
i have a can in the bacement and was allways curious if it would work(caliber paint) thanks for the info guys