PDA

View Full Version : 99 Ni and heat?

Tony Hanna
06-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Anybody know how well the 99% Nickel welding rods (for cast iron) handle heat?
Thanks,
Tony

phaxtris
07-03-2007, 06:17 PM
it handles the heat better than the cast iron!

i would imagine you are making a custom swing valve deal, in wich case Ni-Rod 99x will work just fine, another cheaper alternative is ni-rod 55, or tig with ss filler, ni-rod 99x is by far the least problematic when it comes to cracking

Tony Hanna
07-03-2007, 06:22 PM
it handles the heat better than the cast iron!

i would imagine you are making a custom swing valve deal, in wich case Ni-Rod 99x will work just fine, another cheaper alternative is ni-rod 55, or tig with ss filler, ni-rod 99x is by far the least problematic when it comes to cracking

Actually, I was welding a blanking slug into a divided tang turbine housing. I ended up using 99ni and was really impressed with the way it turned out.:thumb:
Didn't even have to preheat. Just welded under 1" at a time, peened the weld as it cooled, and let the temperature stabilize through the casting before making another weld. Worked beautifully.:)

phaxtris
07-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Actually, I was welding a blanking slug into a divided tang turbine housing. I ended up using 99ni and was really impressed with the way it turned out.:thumb:
Didn't even have to preheat. Just welded under 1" at a time, peened the weld as it cooled, and let the temperature stabilize through the casting before making another weld. Worked beautifully.:)

ahh, yea its a good rod, designed to weld cast cold, its to bad you pay so much for it, last time i bought it i paid about 30$ a lb

Tony Hanna
07-04-2007, 01:42 AM
ahh, yea its a good rod, designed to weld cast cold, its to bad you pay so much for it, last time i bought it i paid about 30$ a lb

Yeah, I was quoted $30+/lb from 3 local welding supply shops, but all 3 of them were out of it.
One of the guys on theturboforums.com mentioned Tractor Supply so I decided to check it out. I ended up getting a 10 pack of 3/32 Hobart nickel99 for $10. That was perfect considering I only burned 1 rod to complete the project.:D

Now I get to play with some stainless. I'm getting ready to transplant the big wastegate puck from the stock TIII turbo into the Holset so I can open up the hole a little more.:)

This is the most use my little buzz box has seen in years.:)