PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Options for a GLHS

glhs399
06-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Well, Last weekend at the rallycross, I somehow managed to puncture the radiator in the GLHS. It looks like a rock flung into the engine compartment and got caught in the fan and punctured about three different spots on the radiator. So I took it to a local radiator shop and the said it was going to be over $400 just to get the damn thing recored. So I need some help deciding what to I should do. Also, are all T2 radiators the same?

1. Get the stocker recored for hopefully a better price from a different shop

2. Get a custom radiator made for around $500-$600 (thats how much the first shop quoted me)

3. Get rid of the side mount and run a front mount intercooler without cutting holes in the car and run a GLH radiator or some other junkyard radiator (I do have some 2.5 mandrel bends laying around for the plumbing)

4. Find someone who has a T2 radiator for sale (GLHS)

Well any other ideas/advice would be much appreciated.

boostedblue
06-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Thay seem to be on ebay from time to time :thumb:

ShelbyMotorsports
06-30-2007, 02:32 PM
If you're not concerned about keeping the car stock go with option #3 as it will give you better performance with a lower cost.

If you want the car to remain stock go with option #1 from another shop. $400 seems on the high side.

And remember a GLHS radiator is unique only to a GLHS. Daytona and Spirit RT rads that can be found on ebay are not the same as a GLHS rad.

Steve

Marcus86GLHS
06-30-2007, 02:36 PM
$400 is sorta high for a recore, shop around. i got my 21 year old original glhs unit recored (triple core) for about $300 parts and labor but not including paint, i wanted to do that myself.

boost geek
06-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Scroll down to post 570.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=178303#post178303

glhs399
07-01-2007, 03:17 AM
Scroll down to post 570.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=178303#post178303

Have you got a chance to run it yet? Do you have any pictures of you intercooler install? Thanks for the help guys, I'm still pondering what I should do.

boost geek
07-01-2007, 03:58 AM
I ran the car later this afternoon, and the rad worked great! It was warm outside, but not screamin' hot, so I let the car car heat up in traffic, then hit the highway. Temps dropped right away, way low on the gauge. I also like the plastic fan, kinda spins like a flywheel. If I had a GLHS I wouldn't have gone this route, as it did take a bit of cutting on a corner support to get the rad down low enough for my liking.
The intercooler was also a bit of work, would have been a lot easier if I had a welder at my place. It's been over a year now that I had it done, never blew an intercooler coupler yet.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4533&highlight=rock+roll
Post 32 has some pics that arent on my computer anymore...

glhs399
07-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I found another shop that the local shelby dodge guys suggested and got a recore for $220.