PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about oil gauges in a 94 Dakota

QC DSM ESiT
06-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Okay my brothers truck is a 94 Dakota with the 318 V8. It has 169,000 miles on it and whenever your driving the truck around the oil pressure guauge will go anywhere from the middle, to close to the low section, and buried all the way past the L on the low side. Now it will stay buried untill you let your foot off the gas then it will jump back up to the L. The whole time this is happening the truck doesn't drive any different or sound any different and the actual oil light never come on either. I'm not sure how the truck is set up but I'm figuring that there is an oil pressure sending unit for the gauge and an oil pressure sending unit which is probably monitored by the computer and would set off the oil light if it had lost pressure from the unit. Should I concerned about starving the truck of oil or do you guys think that the sending unit for the gauge is just on its way to crapping out? Anyway any info or suggestions would be great and much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Birddog
06-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Check the connector and wire for the sender first, then the sender itself, then go to Vatozone and get a cheap mechanical gauge. Odds are it's a simple fix.

Turbodave
07-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I would check the wiring, if the Dakota is like my 96 Ram the gauge is just an analog idiot light, it doesn't move with changes in pressure, just a little bit when the voltage increases. Ford does the same thing too on a lot of vehicles, the gauge either reads 0 or good, no in-between.

gkcooper
07-02-2007, 04:02 PM
+1 on the wiring. I have a '95 Dak and the guage went squirrelly and it was a loose connector

QC DSM ESiT
07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Alright I will check out the wiring but it's good to know that I'm not really starving my brothers truck of oil.

BadAssPerformance
07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
My '92 V8 Dak the guage has always been kinda shady from when I got it at 129k miles up til now at 195k miles...