PDA

View Full Version : Out of Ideas

Dr.Evil
06-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Car has been running rough on and off lately, and is now to the point where I cant really drive it. Its cutting out really bad. Heres what Ive done so far to try and find the problem. No codes or check engine light. Compression check:

So I think the rings are good.
Leakdown was fine also.

Replaced fuel filter.

Found the ground on the battery was loose, fixed that and added another ground strap.

Found a few small vac leaks, fixed those.

New plugs gapped to .030

Swapped out stage 3 cal, +40's and 3 bar for stock.

Still runs like ---.

What else could it be? Bad coilpack/wires? Wires are about 10K old. Anyone know where to get a new coilpack? Are they available through NAPA or the Dealer?

Seems to only act up when warm. I thought I fixed it this AM with the stock cal, 2 bar and stock injectors...drove for about 10 miles perfect, then it was back. I really wish it would throw a code or something!!! I even tried getting into the boost for a while to try and make it worse/be easier to find, but that didnt help. So yea Im out of ideas.

overlordsshadow
06-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I'd just start taking it apart and looking for stuff gone wrong. Start with easy stuff that is visually noticable like wires and or the new plugs to see if they have fouled. Generally just going to have to get down into it and dirty and just start diagnosing a-z. Thats the prob with minor malfuncs and no codes.

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I would check or swap in a known good Map or TPS. They can go bad and not set codes.

Compression looks fine. Have you checked cam timing? it could have jumped.

What brand of wires?

A bad coil pack will give you a miss, you can still buy them aftermarket or replace the plug and run a newer Neon coil pack.

overlordsshadow
06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Yes, forgot to mention 1+ to timing.

Dr.Evil
06-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Checked cam timing, its good.

Would not expain why it runs good for a while and then not. If it was cam timing, wouldn't it be a constant poor running condition?

Any info on the Neon coilpack mod? What year car can they be found, and how do I wire it in? I'd love to get the sorted out today if possiable.

I have magnecore wires, 8mm Going to try some cheap autozone wires just to trobleshoot. Also going to try and swap out the IAB and TPS.

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2007, 04:45 PM
IAC won't cause it, MAP or TPS.

Cam timing can play havoc with the way an engine runs.

Any year Neon where the coil pack is on the valve cover. Will have to look at wiring just to be sure.

Dr.Evil
06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
IAC won't cause it, MAP or TPS.

Cam timing can play havoc with the way an engine runs.

Any year Neon where the coil pack is on the valve cover. Will have to look at wiring just to be sure.

Is the neon pack plug-n-play or will I have to splice into my harness w/ the neon pigtail? Are the wires going to be the same color as what is on the TIII, or will I have to figure out what goes where?

Murphy
06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
As long as your swapping sensors, try a AIS too, when mine went bad, it would be fine, then almost out of the blue start running bad. One time i even took off hard from a light when it was running bad and it was like someone flipped a switch and it took off like a rocket! I cleaned it and that seemed to help for a little while before it started acting up again. swapped for a JY one and its been good till the day it died

Dr.Evil
06-28-2007, 05:09 PM
As long as your swapping sensors, try a AIS too, when mine went bad, it would be fine, then almost out of the blue start running bad. One time i even took off hard from a light when it was running bad and it was like someone flipped a switch and it took off like a rocket! I cleaned it and that seemed to help for a little while before it started acting up again. swapped for a JY one and its been good till the day it died

AIS = Air Intake Sensor? If so where is it located and what car can I get one off that will work?

Dr.Evil
06-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Im assuming the cam timing is correct...at TDC #1, Both the pin holes on the cam sprockets line up with the holes in the head. I figured if it was a tooth off, I would not be able to get pins in. Is that true, or could it still be off?

Murphy
06-28-2007, 05:31 PM
oh sorry, didnt notice you were 16v, i was searching using the new posts function. the idle air motor is the piece im talking about tho. I would assume its on the TB. I dont know if its the same as the 8v/v6 version

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Is the neon pack plug-n-play or will I have to splice into my harness w/ the neon pigtail? Are the wires going to be the same color as what is on the TIII, or will I have to figure out what goes where?

You will have to cut off your old connector and splice in the Neon one.

Dr.Evil
06-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Pulled the plugs, still look brand new.

Replaced the line that goes from the vac manifold under the intake to the MAP solenoid, took it for a 10 mile drive, and it seems fine. I noticed it was loose/might be sending false signal to MAP so I replace it with silicone. So who knows that might be the problem, might not. Still going to get a neon coil pack, new TPS, and wires in case it comes back. I know the MAP is good, as it was acting the same with the 3 bar and the 2 bar, and the 2 bar worked fine until I upgraded.

Dr.Evil
07-13-2007, 01:49 AM
Neon coilpack works great. Same firing order as the stock coil. Also replaced the VSS and TPS (with a new connector too) and it runs much better. Idle is still high (around 1000-1100), might be a vac leak, ill check on it tomorrow. Headin to the track in the evening to smoke some Rice/Mustangs/Tyler's Charger :evil: