PDA

View Full Version : What product to paint suspension parts?

Anonymous_User
06-28-2007, 01:33 AM
While the front suspension is off of the CSXT, I want to give a good finish. What product should I use that won't fall off?

The previous owner had everything blasted and then he used a rattle can to paint it all black. Of course, this just flakes off of the control arms and such.

I imagine I'll have to blast it all again, probably should use some self-etch and then a decent primer over that. Followed by some chassis black. Are there decent products available in a rattle can that will stay in place? I'd hate to buy even a quart of paint for my gun since it's only the k-member and control arms.

I'm thinking about trying POR15 on it, but there is a LOT of prep work with that, it seems.

Marcus86GLHS
06-28-2007, 05:42 AM
powder coating is best but if you are not disassembling the parts and want to rattle can it i would suggest Eastwood's Zinc Phosphate, it replicates the finish used on many of the suspension parts, very easy to apply just clean everything w/ brake cleaner and Simple Green, and it really holds up wel...........i did my control arms, sway bar, tie rod linkages, etc w/ it and it looks very OEM.

Terry Again
06-28-2007, 05:57 AM
You could try Eastwood site they may have paints you need in pints? I think for springs a paint used on the front bumpers of Pontiac Firebirds in 72 or so may have enough flexibleness in it after drying to not flake off? If you blast I think you could skip the self-etch and just a primer and maybe an epoxy type of paint should stand up. I kind of remember spraying the epoxies on trucks when they first came out and if you had a run or sag you had to blot it away with papertowel!! To try to sand it away was hours of work!!
Hope I was a help,
Terry
I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

Anonymous_User
06-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Everything is disassembled.

I'll check into the eastwood stuff. Thanks.

Oh, btw.... flexibleness????

Dominic
06-28-2007, 09:07 AM
If it's already diassembled, eastwood has a line of DIY powder coating kits, just grab a used oven (don't use your own, unless you WANT a divorce) from the neighbourhood goodwill or classifieds, keep it in the garage, and enjoy!!! Imagine, powdercoating the alt bracket, VC, brake calipers, everything yourself, maybe even offering your newfound powder coating skills to the TM community to help fund the CSX restoration. The possibilities are endless.

Marcus86GLHS
06-28-2007, 09:33 AM
oh if you're disassembled take it to a powder coating shop it is so cheap why bother doing it yourself, i had tons of underhood parts and all my coil springs powder coated by a pro for like 250 bucks total and those pros have hundreds of colors and finishes they can apply. nothing beats powder coating for suspension parts.

Anonymous_User
06-29-2007, 06:00 AM
I've looked at the home powder coating kits before. Frankly, it seems there is a lot of trial and error. Getting the metal to outgas properly to avoid contaminants in the finish, etc. etc.

I may call around and try to find a local coating company.

Aries_Turbo
06-29-2007, 08:30 PM
aluminum and other cast stuff is the problem when powdercoating. ferrous metals are usually fine. plus to get them to outgas, you just bake them for hours at a high heat after degreasing. then you are fine.

Brian

TurboGLH
06-29-2007, 11:36 PM
I did all the suspension on my first carbed GLH with POR15, and it was great. Looked good, fairly easy to apply and tough too.

RoadWarrior222
07-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm doing this to mine...
clean and degrease.
wire brush for loose rust.
wipe down with phosphoric acid solution.
wipe down with acetone.
Rattle can with black "rust paint"
Hit inside box sections with anti-rust sealant "oil spray" stuff.

Won't be too beautiful, probably won't last all that long, but it's something on 'em to keep the salt off a winter or two.

moparfwdsleeper
07-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Powder coat is the way to go on components that are going to see some abuse from wheather, foreign objects, etc. two parts color and one part clear should leave you with a every good stratch resistance finish. Normally I think its done with one coat color and one coat clear.

capev86
07-08-2007, 12:04 AM
media blast and powdercoat the chassis parts. i plan to do that with the suspension upgrade going on my k wagon. the underbody will be done in poly truck bed liner and the chassis pieces coated semi-gloss black.

firebaron90
07-22-2007, 03:14 AM
I second the POR 15. I did my cast a arms in gray. Damn that stuff is good when you follow the directions. Dont get it on you !!!!!! unless you want to be gray for about a year......

Joe

Dodgeglht
07-22-2007, 10:22 AM
I third the POR 15. If you're gonna leave the suspension on the car it's the way to go in my opinion. Just make sure you have a long sleeve shirt & gloves on. Like firebaron90 said, that stuff doesn't come off you too well. Better to be hot than painted with the stuff.

looneytuner
07-22-2007, 10:43 AM
My only experience is chipped powder coat on lawn funiture and a post by someone selling a powder coated K frame that had brake fluid soften it. Whatever you use, it can be damaged. More important is "HOW HARD IS IT TO REPAIR DAMAGE"
thus I would vote for Por 15.

bfarroo
07-22-2007, 11:43 AM
If you have a spray gun already pick up some tractor paint at the local hardware store. I picked up some black to paint my steel wheels and I think it was around 10 bucks a quart, You have to use naptha to thin it but the wheels I did turned out great, takes a little while to dry but all in all I'm satisfied. I think the stuff I used was valspar brand that I got at fleet farm. These are on my winter wheels so They see salt and road grime and still look great after washing.