PDA

View Full Version : Sdac 18

Pages : 1 [2]

2.216VTurbo
07-10-2007, 11:51 PM
I am glad this thread is finally heading in the right direction also!

Driving cross country can be fun most of the time. Tim Pettijohn and I drove 4 years in a row from CA to 5-Harpers Ferry, 6-Topeka, 7-Detroit and 8-Indy. We had a blast along the way. I am just glad that after my 8 year SDAC hiatus (started a Family) alot of the people that I had become friends with then where still attending the current SDAC, not to mention meeting all the new people. I hope to be able to steadily attend all the conventions from now on again, just not with Alan.;)

Thanks Barry for at least considering having the convention out west.:thumb:

Patrick Pedroza
"86" GLHS #35 - GT30 to be on soon!
"89" CSX #42
"04" SRT4

Uh well your snoring is no picnic either pal. You know I can find someone else to take along if we're breaking up after all these years:lol:

SpiritedShelbys
07-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Barry I wish you had a response to what I had suggested. Las vegas, Shelby facility, Shelby, the #1 cars. I've gotta tell ya... I feel a little snubbed by Shelby and the facility. I've been loyal to these products for years and all I saw dodge related at his place is a lithograph of the viper on the wall. Any thoughts?

ForzaV12
07-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Uh well your snoring is no picnic either pal. You know I can find someone else to take along if we're breaking up after all these years:lol:

I can attest to the spectacular snoring. Still, it beats the possibilty of going to jail anytime we go anywhere with you.

CSX321
07-11-2007, 12:00 AM
I feel a little snubbed by Shelby and the facility. I've been loyal to these products for years and all I saw dodge related at his place is a lithograph of the viper on the wall. Any thoughts?
When I was there in 2002, '89 CSX #1 was there.

patcsx42
07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
When I was there in 2002, '89 CSX #1 was there.

Last time I was there which was probably before 2002 they had most of the #1 cars there. I think I have pics somewhere.

SpiritedShelbys
07-11-2007, 01:12 AM
well they vanished in a year cuz when they had the SD thing there in 03 if memory serves... there weren't any to be found except in the parking lot.

sdac guy
07-11-2007, 05:20 AM
Barry I wish you had a response to what I had suggested. Las vegas, Shelby facility, Shelby, the #1 cars. I've gotta tell ya... I feel a little snubbed by Shelby and the facility. I've been loyal to these products for years and all I saw dodge related at his place is a lithograph of the viper on the wall. Any thoughts? I didn't respond because it would be mostly negative. What you propose would indeed be great, but ...

At the breakup with the Series 1 folks (Venture) Shelby moved down the street. Then they moved back to the place where they had been after Venture moved out. From what I've been told by folks that have visited since, the little museum type display that was there in 2003 is no longer there, and there are no SD cars there at all anymore.

Getting his cars there may be possible, but since there really is not a car display set up, it would not be likely to happen. Getting Carroll to attend is highly unlikely as his calendar is usually packed months (if not years) in advance. And with his return to Ford and the constant visits to Detroit for managing that effort, it has only made him busier.

Finally, while the motorsports park next to the Vegas facility is very nice, I've been told it is expensive to rent, and most likely beyond our reach.

A great alternative to your suggestion, is that if a west coast event could be held somewhere near the LA area, possibly folks with contacts with Shelby could arrange for us to have a group tour of Carroll's private collection of cars that is in LA. I am told it numbers over 100 cars and some of them are very impressive or pieces of racing history. All of his SD cars are included in that collection.

The only thing Vegas really has going strong for it is the alternative activities. But that aspect of our event should not be played too strongly as we usually keep folks busy enough that most folks need to add a couple days to their vacation if they really want to see the local attractions.

Barry

BIGBRUDDA
07-11-2007, 09:07 AM
A convention in Vegas will only lead this bunch to more "Expensive "shennanigans.:evil:
I call dibbs on Flecks navigator seat!:thumb:
From what I've read.Mr Shelby seems less than "enthused" about his Chrysler involvment.:o :(

NeonShowCar
07-11-2007, 09:30 AM
A great alternative to your suggestion, is that if a west coast event could be held somewhere near the LA area, possibly folks with contacts with Shelby could arrange for us to have a group tour of Carroll's private collection of cars that is in LA. I am told it numbers over 100 cars and some of them are very impressive or pieces of racing history. All of his SD cars are included in that collection.

Barry

Would a tour of Jay Leno's personal collection suffice ? I know it might not be SD cars but he does have the Shogun, and the Tank car we built for him. His collection is huge. This is something I've been mulling over as an added bonus of coming out this way. Its just a thought.

Turbodave
07-11-2007, 10:07 AM

I've seen Carroll's LA area warehouse on TV one time where they interviewed him, in the background were lots of dusty #1 cars, the twin turbo dakota and the ful size shelby ram prototype. I would make the trip out there just to see that facility and it's more appealing to me than the Vegas location currently.

mcsvt
07-11-2007, 10:17 AM
^Like I'd turn down a tour the Jay's collection :lol:

30 PSI SHADOW
07-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Why don't the West Coast people put together a "Turbopalooza" or "Cecil" like event and have a great time getting all the local (and others) involved and make those events successful. If and after that event is proven, then a national event can be discussed. (basically then just scaled up) There would be no argument to if it could be done at a reasonable cost that way. You say it would work? Prove it.

I see this as a win-win event. Even if you don't get enough interested to justify a full national event, you still have a sweet event to have annually like the OVC and DV Chapters have.

I agree with fleck. Many different clubs on the east coast have started their own mini SDAC, like cecil in november, Turbopalooza,Or even like we started here in new england, TD/SRT-4 day in june. I would think Vegas would be a perfect place to start,as the shelby plant there would see the progress of development.Who knows,maybe even they would get involved (sponsorship,parts,etc)
All in all, its a win-win, and maybe even turn into a future location for SDAC!!

Bill Baker
NESDAC Pres

ForzaV12
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM

The only thing Vegas really has going strong for it is the alternative activities. But that aspect of our event should not be played too strongly as we usually keep folks busy enough that most folks need to add a couple days to their vacation if they really want to see the local attractions.

Barry

Good points. I've been involved with a couple of activities at Shelby's facility in Gardena. Here's a pic of one of my cars in front of the building during a reunion event.

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/4584/swb008pb0.th.jpg (http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=swb008pb0.jpg)

SpiritedShelbys
07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
hmm... well I stand correected. I forgot that the #1 cars were stored out here in Socal and I sure didn't know about the Vegas facility fiasco. Looks like I have some catching up to do..lol. Thanks for the info Barry!

minigts
11-08-2007, 11:41 PM
We could do Memphis! My wife and I have already planned to do some kind of event for anyone passing through on the way to the next SDAC, assuming it's on the way. We have a good piece of land where we can have a mini show.

cordes
11-10-2007, 01:33 AM
We could do Memphis! My wife and I have already planned to do some kind of event for anyone passing through on the way to the next SDAC, assuming it's on the way. We have a good piece of land where we can have a mini show.

You are always more than welcome to come through central IL to break up your drive. :eyebrows:

ATaylorRacing
02-09-2008, 07:16 AM
:eyebrows: If Vegas is the spot for a SDAC event my wife will not allow me to go to those "alternative activities" Barry.

neongary
04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know right now that I will be at SDAC 18 no matter where it is. If I tell anyone anything different please e-slap me. Also I'll be 21. I can finally go to a show and enjoy parking lot festivities like everyone else.:thumb:

See you in Detroit?

DC Turismo
04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Sawwweeeettt!!!!!! Hotel info!!!!!!!!! Booking my room tomorrowwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!! :D :D :D

sdac guy
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Sawwweeeettt!!!!!! Hotel info!!!!!!!!! Booking my room tomorrowwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!! :D :D :D

Oh, I forgot to mention it in this thread.

Go here for Host Hotel info.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23376

Barry

supercrackerbox
04-10-2008, 12:03 AM
When you make your
reservation you will be asked what style pillow you prefer,
foam or feather?

Wow, never been given an option like that, even in Vegas. As the kids say,

BALLIN'!

Guess it's time to pay off that credit card. :thumb:

contraption22
04-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Sounds like a great hotel especially for the price.

neonkitten63
04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Room is booked already! :) YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

I did it online and it was super easy!

slasky
04-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I just booked one too!

2.216VTurbo
04-11-2008, 11:28 PM
I just booked, in the comment box I requested that the mini bar in my room be restocked twice daily:eyebrows: I wonder if they actually read those comments...

BadAssPerformance
04-11-2008, 11:30 PM
^^^ LOL, thats a good idea. :thumb:

slasky
04-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Alan you should have asked if they could get you new tires for your rental car each day.

superbleu
04-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Went to a Detroit Pistons game and stopped by the hotel (About 7-8 miles from the Palace) and it is a very nice hotel…going to have to were my best t-shirt. Lots of space and restaurants nearby. Definitely a top notch location. Also saw my first new Challenger in the “wild”. Black SE on Opdyk road near the Chrysler complex, almost drove of the road!!!…Dan

Bubba
04-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm booked.

sdac guy
04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
I am closing this thread as there are too many "I'll be at SDAC-18" threads or threads where folks are looking for info.

For the latest info we have available please read this thread.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23376

The above linked thread will be the only place we release dates, hotel, sites, schedule, etc info.

The thread in the main SDAC forum titled "The OFFICIAL ...." will be left open for general discussion.

Please do no start other SDAC-18 threads.

As we get closer to the event (late May early June we may start a "caravan" or "room with" thread).

Thanks,

Barry