PDA

View Full Version : Clogged coolant passages.

gvare001
06-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey guys, I bought this 90 VNT Daytona this past Saturday. The car had a blowned Felpro head gasket. The coolant passages for the cross drilling on the block are totally clogged, it's got coronary artery disease, and the stuff is pretty hard. What do you guys suggest to unclog them up. Thanks.

Terry Again
06-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Call radiater shops near your location and see if they have a hot tank safe for Aluminum there and if so see what they would get to do a long soak? That or if you can find a product called CLR at a hardware store look at the label carefully and see if that's safe or not? I've seen other times where it worked great if the soak is long enough?
Just be carefull of safe for Aluminum part!!
Terry
I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Use a small drill bit and cordless drill. I also like to deburr and match up the coolant passages on the deck surface but thats better done during a rebuild.

gvare001
06-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Use a small drill bit and cordless drill
Danm, that's exactly what I did. Thanks, Turbovanman. Another question, on the block the coolant passage spot that matches the front crossdrill on the head is not a flow passage right? Just a surface cooling spot, right?

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Yes, theres only one CD on the block, the other one is probably a mark from the gasket and errosion.

gvare001
06-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks a lot man, I allmost danm near started drilling that one too.:o

gkcooper
06-28-2007, 02:52 PM
I had some nasty stuff in my Dakota when I bought it and I put in distilled vinegar and drove around for three days. That cleaned it out well. I then re-filled with 50% distilled water and green Prestone after a thorough flush.

gkcooper
06-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Yes, pure vinegar-nothing else