PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about the Plastic Bosch BOV's?

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2006, 11:19 PM
My friend wants to run some on his twin turboed Mustang. I remember something about turning them around? he wants to run 5-10 psi. Thanks.

cordes
02-02-2006, 11:31 PM
I have heard that they will hold 20+ PSI when installed reverse from how they are supposed to work. Although, I have got to believe they could handle 5-10PSI when installed the normall way.

tryingbe
02-02-2006, 11:38 PM
I run it at 15psi, it's holding.

turbovanmanČ
02-03-2006, 12:37 AM
I run it at 15psi, it's holding.

So just run regular way. Any filters needed or added? Haven't really seen one before so shooting in the dark. :confused:

SpoolinGLH
02-03-2006, 12:42 AM
twin turbo mustang:yuck: is it a 5.0? 4.6?

turbovanmanČ
02-03-2006, 12:43 AM
twin turbo mustang:yuck: is it a 5.0? 4.6?

4.6L Cobra engine in a Convertible. He used to have a supercharger then went to this setup. He bought the Cobra engine in bits and pieces thru Ebay and replaced the stock 4.6 SOHC motor with it.

GLHSKEN
02-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Simon, There are 2 types. One has a brass "seat" the other plastic. I ran the "brass" one for years at 20-22psi. No mods needed. You should put some sort of a filter on it. I juse clamped a chopped down sock "ala GUS"

Subliminal
02-03-2006, 09:46 AM
My guess, and this IS just a guess, is that they would be crap for that application. Not because of the pressure level, but because of the amount of air they'd need to vent to do any good. If you're talking about the dinky little ones that come on our cars.

GLHSKEN
02-03-2006, 12:09 PM
No, the stockers on our car are different

turbovanmanČ
02-03-2006, 01:15 PM
My guess, and this IS just a guess, is that they would be crap for that application. Not because of the pressure level, but because of the amount of air they'd need to vent to do any good. If you're talking about the dinky little ones that come on our cars.

Nice catch Damon but yeah, these ones are of another turbo vehicle, :thumb:

Thanks for all info guys, he will run them, we just talked, he maybe go to 15 psi later but seriously, the car at that boost level would be dangerously too fast on the street.

mock_glh
02-03-2006, 01:28 PM
I have heard that they will hold 20+ PSI when installed reverse from how they are supposed to work. Although, I have got to believe they could handle 5-10PSI when installed the normall way.

Reversed!!?? How would it open at all? Wouldn't the pressure be holding the valve shut?:confused:

Dietro
02-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Simon, There are 2 types. One has a brass "seat" the other plastic. I ran the "brass" one for years at 20-22psi. No mods needed. You should put some sort of a filter on it. I juse clamped a chopped down sock "ala GUS"

The brass one is the Porsche version, the plastic one is the Saab/Volvo version. I ran a brass one on my '88 Shelby Z for a while at 20ish psi. I thought it worked fine, but when I pulled the engine out, I checked it out and even though it has a brass seat, it still has a rubber diaphragm and it has a leak in it.

Dietro
02-03-2006, 01:44 PM

If he runs one on each turbo outlet piping, it should be OK. Not ideal, but functional.

cordes
02-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Reversed!!?? How would it open at all? Wouldn't the pressure be holding the valve shut?:confused:

I believe that is the idea. I have always thought that it turns it into more of an HKS super sequential setup by doing that. I have not seen one in person though. I believe that Una was using one of the Porche valves that way.

SwiftTech
02-04-2006, 07:36 PM
For anybody that has seen the vid of the purple haze twin turbo'd charger run 8's or so, it runs two of the black plastic bov's.

3nglenn
02-04-2006, 08:49 PM
I've been using the stock plastic BOV to 15# for quite some time. Using one of Gus Mahons' special pneumatic circuits to keep it from blowing apart. http://www.gusmahon.org/html/tech%20diagrams.htm Picture/schematic is about 3/4 down the page. G.P.

shelbyplaya
02-04-2006, 09:21 PM
So just run regular way. Any filters needed or added? Haven't really seen one before so shooting in the dark. :confused:
gotta run a filter or reculate it, the valve stays open in vacume.

i wouldent sujest the stock BOV at all. it's toooooo small and dosent flow worth poop. if you wanna get a stock BOV off another car get one from a TT stealth (i can pick ya one up on monday) or get a turbo porsche BOV. i ran a porsche BOV (made by bosh) for a wile with no ill effects. worked awsome and it was cheap. $75 from the dealer.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2006, 03:16 AM
gotta run a filter or reculate it, the valve stays open in vacume.

i wouldent sujest the stock BOV at all. it's toooooo small and dosent flow worth poop. if you wanna get a stock BOV off another car get one from a TT stealth (i can pick ya one up on monday) or get a turbo porsche BOV. i ran a porsche BOV (made by bosh) for a wile with no ill effects. worked awsome and it was cheap. $75 from the dealer.

Dude, read more closely, :p He has a Mustang, there is no stock BOV's and I wouldn't let him use one of ours, they suck even at stock boost levels, :nod:

Dave
02-10-2006, 10:00 PM
If he runs one on each turbo outlet piping, it should be OK. Not ideal, but functional.

Wouldn't help actually. One right before the throttle body or two right after the turbos makes no difference, the pressure will be equal throughout all the lines.

Tell him just to get a dang knockoff RFL off Ebay. :thumb:

Dietro
02-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Wouldn't help actually. One right before the throttle body or two right after the turbos makes no difference, the pressure will be equal throughout all the lines.

Huh?

If he's got a twin turbo setup that is generating 10psi *in the manifold*, his turbos are loafing by putting out somewhere between 5 and 7 psi each depending on the efficiency of his piping and intercooler(s). (Not to mention the health of each turbo.)

A plastic Bosch BOV can vent 5-8psi with little to no problem.

BadAssPerformance
02-11-2006, 01:18 AM
I run a Turbonetics Street BOV on my T2 Shadow and it is a plastic Bosch piece. Runs 19 psi all day long on a hot day at the dragstrip... also has held ~27psi during some 5th gear runs on the highway. :thumb:

Dave
02-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Nah, it doesn't work like that. I always thought it did too... 5psi +5psi =10psi. But each turbo must generate 10psi to achieve 10psi manifold pressure. Or that's atleast what I'm getting out of what Winkle tells me. :D

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Winkle is right, 10 psi is 10 psi, whether its by one, two or 10 turbos, :thumb:

cordes
02-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Winkle is right, 10 psi is 10 psi, whether its by one, two or 10 turbos, :thumb:

+2. It is a misconception that I still struggle with.

Dave
02-13-2006, 10:16 AM
+2. It is a misconception that I still struggle with.

Yah I still don't understand it either. This turbo stuff is confusing, you almost have to know thermal-dynamics to make it really go fast. Which makes me wonder how an old hillbilly can make a mini van go 12's? hehe j/k

TurboBlue
03-04-2006, 02:22 AM
Nah, it doesn't work like that. I always thought it did too... 5psi +5psi =10psi. But each turbo must generate 10psi to achieve 10psi manifold pressure. Or that's atleast what I'm getting out of what Winkle tells me. :D
So he is running 2 turbos because of manifold design ? One per each side of the v8 ?