PDA

View Full Version : Long start time, bogging down at full throttle...sometimes

minigts
06-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I'll try and give as much info as I can.

Running a TII setup with the following:

3 bar MAP
factory coil
+20 injectors
factory TII turbo
factory TII intercooler
1 piece intake
52mm TB
very aggressively ported head
high flow fuel pump
custom calibrated SMEC (based on information provided above)
adjustable FPR (fuel pressure set at 55lbs)
bosch spark plugs (gapped at specs set in manual)
8.5MM coil wires
timing (12 degrees)
boost (17-18lbs)

No codes are being thrown other than the ones for my solenoids that I removed.

Hopefully I can explain the issue I'm having.

First off, starting takes 3 times on cold days, 2-3 times on mild days and 1 MABYE 2 times on warm days. And each first attempt will take about 3-4 seconds of holding the key turned. After the first start, it only takes like 1-2 seconds of turning the key for it to crank. After that it runs fine and idles fine, but it can take like 20-30 seconds for it to stop fluctuating. (usually it will fluctuate for about 5-10 seconds during this warm weather)

Once driving it will run fine, drive fine and will pull well through all the gears. However, when I get to around 3K-3500RPM and stomp the gas, it will "bog" down and I have to let off. Give it about 2-4 seconds and it runs and idles fine again. This can happen in just about every gear, the key being close to that RPM and REALLY getting on it. When I driving it hard and get close to about 5K, it seems like it's not pulling at all, you know just running up the RPMS and then it kinda kicks back in again and starts pulling aroun 5500RPM

My thought is it is getting too much fuel when I get on it. I don't have my gauge hooked up, but I'm thinking it's running really rich and more or less flooding the engine. My other thought is the spark is weak and it's just not cutting it, but not sure what would be the best way to test this.

Now I have tried running the fuel pressure lower, but that just makes it harder to start. And my thought on THIS is the fuel pressure just isn't where it needs to be on start up.

So with that, does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Does it sound more like a fuel problem or an ignition issue? Are you supposed to run lower fuel pressure with more boost or just the opposite? If so, why would my car have such a hard time on start up if LESS fuel pressure is needed? Why should it have trouble starting at all if it runs and idles fine?

Thanks in advance,

minigts

overlordsshadow
06-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Had this EXACT problem that stemmed from the bottom of the number four plug wire being worn right off and therefore not sparking correctly.

minigts
06-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Had this EXACT problem that stemmed from the bottom of the number four plug wire being worn right off and therefore not sparking correctly.

I will absolutely check this. Didn't think that would be a problem, but with my car I can see it doing this to me. :wink:

butchsuppe
06-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Check your fuel pres. sounds like a bad fuel pump to me. I had a couple of cheap pumps in my car and had hard starting problems with them. Got a Walbro and the car starts RIGHT NOW.:nod:

minigts
06-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Check your fuel pres. sounds like a bad fuel pump to me. I had a couple of cheap pumps in my car and had hard starting problems with them. Got a Walbro and the car starts RIGHT NOW.:nod:

Well that is what I have, but I never removed the original external pump. I did leave that detail out. Would that pose a problem? I mean, I had the external one before I moved to the Walbro, but I wasn't moving as much fuel.

butchsuppe
06-26-2007, 01:57 AM
To be honest I don't know if the external pump would be a problem, but you might try bypass it and see if it makes a differance. I'd install a gauge before and after though.

bn880
06-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I have a similar start issue :

1 is HEP not sending proper signals on crank

2 is calibration is kinda buggy and doesnt adjsut idle on startups

as for bogging down at RPM, could be fuel, could also be a HEP

I verify my HEP being an issue by conencting test LED's to the injectors, and I can see them NOT opening when cranking for a second or two.

So anyway, it could be many things, I absolutely hate the HEP on these cars and am hoping to make my own more reliable one.

Would be nice to get an O2 gauge installed for your problem.

overlordsshadow
06-26-2007, 04:49 PM
What cal u have bn880? Where in Canada you at?

minigts
06-26-2007, 04:53 PM
...Would be nice to get an O2 gauge installed for your problem.

I have one, just not installed. Been in the middle of figuring out how I am going to do my interior and just haven't installed all my gauges yet. But agreed, I need to get a reading to verify if it is running rich or "flooding" when I start bogging down.

Thanks for the input and I will look to test and see if I'm getting current to the injectors on start up.

bn880
06-26-2007, 08:43 PM
What cal u have bn880? Where in Canada you at?

Modded blueberry cal (I think 43) Ottawa, aka O-Town :D
87TII

minigts
06-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Ottawa, aka O-Town :D
87TII

Man, sorry to hear about the Senators. I was behind them all the way! I was at game 4? at the city hall outdoors. That was so awesome to be in that crowd after the game!

http://www.interactivetrainers.com/canada

I used the term riot loosely in some of the pictures. My friend Jeffery called it a "quiet riot". lol

johnl
06-26-2007, 11:34 PM
What the heck, change the fuel filter too. See this thread - http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=173618&postcount=1