PDA

View Full Version : 86 Daytona KPH Cluster to MPH Cluster?

wreckless123
02-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I am buying a 86 Daytona from a guy in Canada and it has a metric (KPH)analog cluster. Can I just buy a used english (MPH) analog cluster and just swap it out, or is there more to it? Thanks..

supercrackerbox
02-03-2006, 03:21 AM
To my knowledge, the only difference is the face of the gauge. It just has the KPH in the larger print around the outside as opposed to the MPH. I've got an 86 speedometer with a broken odometer if you'd be interested in just swapping the face.

BTW, what all is involved in importing a car from Canada to the States?

wreckless123
02-06-2006, 01:38 PM
To my knowledge, the only difference is the face of the gauge. It just has the KPH in the larger print around the outside as opposed to the MPH. I've got an 86 speedometer with a broken odometer if you'd be interested in just swapping the face.

BTW, what all is involved in importing a car from Canada to the States?

It is quite a pain if the car is not already DOT and US approved. The car I am getting was made in the US but was sold in Canada so it does not have the needed stickers. So I have to get a letter from the OEM saying the car meets DOT and US standards..

I just bought a english Cluster, hopefully it plugs right in..

supercrackerbox
02-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Hmmm, doesn't sound terribly difficult. How about cost-wise? Any taxes, tarriffs, etc.?

Somehow I get the feeling you bought the car that made me ask anyway. ;)