PDA

View Full Version : Bringing an Old Friend to Life

iBorg
06-24-2007, 12:50 AM
My Chrysler XT (turbo I car) has been sitting for about eight years. The last time I had it running the fuel pump wasn't working. I was able to start it by spraying fuel directly into the fuel injector. What would be the recommended steps to get this car running? My goal is to restore the car with some upgrades for speed and handling. First I need to get it running. It sat for most of the time outdoors but now is in may garage. I now that after I get it to run I'll need to redo the brake system.

Thanks!

Mike

moparfwdsleeper
06-24-2007, 01:15 AM
If it was my car and I had plans on really getting it to move i'd rebuild the engine(rings may not be good cause of it sitting, valve seals could be cracking or just worn) and transmission(bearins may be gone or near it).

Sounds like a good restore project from how im reading the post.

JeremyL
06-24-2007, 03:00 AM
My Daytona sat for close to 8 years with the trans out of it, and I got it back on the road in the middle of 2005. I pulled all the spark plugs & mixed up some diesel & trans fluid & used a little pump oil can to fill the cylinders full. I let it set for several days & then made sure I could turn the motor over by hand using a breaker bar on the crank. After I was sure it turned over freely I set about replacing the busted trans, changed the all the fluids, bled the brake out completely, and put it back on down on the ground. Didn't have any fuel pressure but with a hot battery and a little ether in the throttle body she fired right off. I changed out the pump & fuel filter & she ran like a top, although it smoked like hell for quite a while from all the crud in the cylinders.

After I got it running I did the usual things, motor mounts, timing belt, and last fall a water pump, but she still runs like a top. My father drove it to Wisconsin and back in the fall of 05, and I drove it almost daily up through the end of last year. BTW, the motor is out of an 84 Daytona that I had as a parts car, and it's never had the head off, never had the oil pan off, and still has the original turbo as well. When I swapped that motor in there back in the late 90s it was only going to be temporary, and it still runs just as good today.

I documented some of the progress a couple years ago at http://www.jeremylawson.com/86Daytona/

Last fall I had some touch up paint work done, replaced the window scrapers, the passenger door, and the plastic door trims. Here I am cruising on Daytona Beach last November.

http://www.jeremylawson.com/86Daytona/Daytonaonbeach.jpg

CSXT802
06-24-2007, 08:33 AM
My Daytona sat for close to 8 years with the trans out of it, and I got it back on the road in the middle of 2005. I pulled all the spark plugs & mixed up some diesel & trans fluid & used a little pump oil can to fill the cylinders full. I let it set for several days & then made sure I could turn the motor over by hand using a breaker bar on the crank. After I was sure it turned over freely I set about replacing the busted trans, changed the all the fluids, bled the brake out completely, and put it back on down on the ground. Didn't have any fuel pressure but with a hot battery and a little ether in the throttle body she fired right off. I changed out the pump & fuel filter & she ran like a top, although it smoked like hell for quite a while from all the crud in the cylinders.

After I got it running I did the usual things, motor mounts, timing belt, and last fall a water pump, but she still runs like a top. My father drove it to Wisconsin and back in the fall of 05, and I drove it almost daily up through the end of last year. BTW, the motor is out of an 84 Daytona that I had as a parts car, and it's never had the head off, never had the oil pan off, and still has the original turbo as well. When I swapped that motor in there back in the late 90s it was only going to be temporary, and it still runs just as good today.

I documented some of the progress a couple years ago at http://www.jeremylawson.com/86Daytona/

Last fall I had some touch up paint work done, replaced the window scrapers, the passenger door, and the plastic door trims. Here I am cruising on Daytona Beach last November.

Thanks for the new desk top. I love the black & gold 1st gen Daytonas. My first car was A 1986 Daytona (non turbo) . I'll all ways have a soft spot for them. Let me know if you ever want to part with it.;)

GLHS592
06-24-2007, 08:51 AM
I've always wanted that exact car. Nice ride!

rare_ram
06-24-2007, 08:57 AM
+1, that black gold looks very nice.

iBorg
06-24-2007, 02:10 PM
I'll admit of all the first generation Daytonas, the black and gold was by far the prettiest. Beautiful car. Thanks for the info. How did you get the gunk out of the cylinders?

Hopefully in the next week and a half I'll finally be able to get started.

Mike

mpgmike
06-24-2007, 02:49 PM
+1, that black gold looks very nice.

I like gold as an accent color with not only black, but orange, red, blue, etc. I think the gold just screams class!

Mike

supercrackerbox
06-24-2007, 03:45 PM

If it weren't for the T-tops I'd swear that car is here in Lincoln, NE. Several months ago I saw one parked at a repair shop not too far from my house, went to look at it, and it had just over 13000 original miles. Still had the Gatorback tires on it, although I later saw the car at a tire shop down the road, so I imagine he had those swapped. Beautiful car though.

JeremyL
06-24-2007, 09:17 PM
I'll admit of all the first generation Daytonas, the black and gold was by far the prettiest. Beautiful car. Thanks for the info. How did you get the gunk out of the cylinders?

Hopefully in the next week and a half I'll finally be able to get started.

Mike

When I spun the engine over by hand I had the plugs out & most of the junk pumped out the cylinders then. Don't know how much was left after that, but it smoked like a freight train when I first started it up, but eventually it cleared out. There's no cat in the exhaust, so I didn't worry about anythign getting in there & possibly messing it up.

TopDollar69
07-09-2007, 11:33 PM
I hate it when cats get in my exhaust. JK

looneytuner
07-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Do a search for Lazy Larry. The last thing that went is the head gasket. I had a ton of probs. fuel pump, wires to pump chewed by critters, rusted fuel lines. sticking valve from corrosion on stem. After I figured out how to fix this with the head still on, the gasket went so I have to pull it anyway.
this car ran like a dream when I parked it ten years before.
I did all the precautions first before all the above happened.

Dodgeglht
07-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Any update on the car? Get it running at all?

iBorg
07-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Between Cub Scout Camp and dealing with my Mother in Law, I haven't had a chance to start on it. I'm foaming at the bit to get rolling.

Mike

Dusty_Duster
07-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I like gold as an accent color with not only black, but orange, red, blue, etc. I think the gold just screams class!

Mike

Black and gold FTW:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/310000-310999/310854_155_full.jpg

Tony T
07-25-2007, 01:44 PM
I'll have to post some pictures of my 'concept' black/gold Laser XT next week. It's coming out of the paint shop today (for some touch up to the hatch) - taking it to the all Mopar show at the Gilmore Car Museum in Michigan this weekend, it's offical 'debut'.

I fell in love with the 'black/gold' 86 C/S when I saw a brand new one on a lot in '86 - but I've always favored the Laser.

TT

iBorg
08-08-2007, 11:37 AM
An Update....
Today I got the engine to turn over. Struggled more with getting the breaker on the nut than turning it over. First couple of times was a bit of a challenge and switched over to a ratchet (good to have lifetime warranty) and it turned over pretty easily. The plugs were pretty new when it last was ran so I'm cleaning them in an ultrasonic cleaner. I figure they'll foul out quickly and I might as well not ruin a new set. I'm draining the off as I write and am getting ready to go buy a battery and some oil and a filter. After it fires using starting fluid shot down the throttle body, I'll start the fun of dismantling, cleaning and replacing.

I'M SO EXCITED! Feels like Christmas morning.

Mike

iBorg
08-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Well today has been fun, really. I got the battery in and was able to spin the starter without problem. Dumped the radiator fluid and was surprised at how good it looked for being ten years old. After turning it over several times, using the spin for a minute let set for half an hour method, I put he plugs in and hit it with starting fluid. It didn't fire. Went to get a spark tester tool (I don't like holding a plug to the engine and see if it will spark method) and I had spark on each cylinder. Remembered I needed to open the thourtle body when I sprayed starting fluid and it took a few tries but it burped to life.

Since the car was on jack stands I took a look at the chassis. Some surface rust but nothing bad for a twenty year old car.

Next on the agenda (Monday or Tuesday) is dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump/filter after cleaning the tank. Any suggestions to be sure the fuel lines are clean and checking the fuel system out?

I am so pumped!

Mike

Dodgeglht
09-08-2007, 02:22 PM
When I dropped the tank on my GLHT it smelled of varnish really bad. I didn't do anything to the lines & didn't have any problems after starting it up, aside from the turbo going out on me that is. lol
Matt

iBorg
09-09-2007, 08:38 PM
The tank is a disaster. Its filled with gunk and rust. Hopefully next week I'll be able to get it cleaned out and sealed. This is a long term project that I need to work in some chunks of time here and there.

mike

supercrackerbox
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Seems like a lot cars end up being long term projects whether we plan on it or not . . .:o

GLHSKEN
09-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Tell me about it...

RoadWarrior222
09-10-2007, 08:06 AM
RW's secret fuel system cleaner recipe...
Get old shotglass, mix up 3 shots of isopropyl alcohol (70% or better from the drugstore) 3 shots of kerosene or varsol, 1 shot of ATF, put it in a full tank.