PDA

View Full Version : T3/T4 Exhaust and flange

BCGLH
06-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I am going to have a plate waterjet cut for the cover on the turbine housing..
(Normally where the swing valve assembly bolts too)
Using the same 5? bolt pattern shape...
Someone had said to use a 2.5 inch mandrel bent aluminized pipe for the turn down..
Then 6-9" down that pipe..weld at an angle the piping for the discharge from the waste gate...
After that go 3" pipe down....They said that the 2.5 " pipe off the turbine will keep the velocity of the exhaust gases up until it reaches the 3" down pipe..
Is this true???
Or should I go 3" all the way????

This is for a 2.2 hybrid 16 Valve that I am trying to finish!! for my omni...
Please help..Thank you Jayson

TurboGLH
06-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Turbine exit flanges for the standard 5-bolt exit are available. I assume that your trying to use a chrysler housing instead of a ford/volvo/standard housing.

3" all the way is the way to go, pressure differential is the way a turbo works. So the least amount of restriction on the turbine exit will provide the best power.

I'd also skip out on routing the wastegate back into the exhaust. Here's a case where back to back dyno's show a loss of 38whp with the only change being a reroute into the exhaust vs a small muffler on the dump.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315402&highlight=dump+vs+recirc

BCGLH
06-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey Turbo GLH
Thanks for that info...I even watched the little vid!!!
I can not believe that it could lose so much power by installing it into the exhaust stream.....I just figured it was the best way to do it???/
But now I have changed my mind...
Thank you Jayson