PDA

View Full Version : AWD???? has anyone done it yet?

azkcar135
06-21-2007, 08:10 PM
yeah i now this has been debated since well forever! lol other than people argueing what parts to use or not use has anyone attemmped it? pictures? other than Carrol Shelby's proto type. i want some proof or something!! thanks guys

shad0w2.s_tur80
06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
i HEARD of some guy puting a stealth engin and drivetrain in an omni. if he ever finished it i dont know, all i know is someone was trying. anyone else heard of this too?

glhs399
06-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I think that the proto Daytona used the VW synco drive train but I haven't heard much discussion about this. Oh how I've dreamed about an awd Omni. Dirty Dirty thoughts are comming to mind. There is a local guy who has a awd neon but he stuffed a subie drivetrain under the thing.

Aries_Turbo
06-21-2007, 10:39 PM
if only 1:1 right angle differentials were easy to get/have made.... take the engine and trans and mount it in the rear seat only turned 90 deg and then feed the one axle output to the rear and one to the front 1:1 differentials.

Brian

Pandemoniac
06-22-2007, 12:17 AM
There is a local guy who has a awd neon but he stuffed a subie drivetrain under the thing.

I guess if it's possible to do that, one could use a subaru drivetrain and then hook up a dodge engine turned to face front/back... A Lancer Evo drivetrain would probably be much easier to adapt, but they'd be much harder to come by then a subie setup, and all their cars are AWD. An evo engine/drivetrain in an omni would be HOT, now wouldn't it? I'd personally like that crammed under a daytona. :thumb:

shelby zed
06-22-2007, 01:06 AM
i wish mine was awd, imagine how much that prototype tranny would go for.. wow

Aries_Turbo
06-22-2007, 07:35 AM
a subie drivetrain has no chance of handling our torque unless its the STi.

Brian

8valves
06-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Some old school sand buggies ran turbo 2.2 stuff. I had an old boss that was into them and told me that had an adapter to run their tranny to a 2.2 block. That would be a step in the right direction at least.

2.216VTurbo
06-22-2007, 09:16 AM
It's been done twice for sure that I know of, twin engine Shadow and twin engined Rampage:thumb: Of course the Rampage makes perfect sense to me, stay with the engine of choice in the front and add another K frame with an auto trans on it in the bed:eyebrows: Plenty of room back there. You know I am trading out the TIII for a Masi 16V motor in the Rampage this year, and I do have a 'spare' Masi motor now:evil: ... My brother (who is a great fabricator but loses interest in a project too quickly for my tastes) has been trying to get me to twin the Rampage for years:evil: ;)

Or did you just mean AWD with a single engine:o Less fun if you ask me:D

r00tcause
06-22-2007, 09:51 PM
I think that the proto Daytona used the VW synco drive train but I haven't heard much discussion about this. Oh how I've dreamed about an awd Omni. Dirty Dirty thoughts are comming to mind. There is a local guy who has a awd neon but he stuffed a subie drivetrain under the thing.

No it used a reversed dana 40 mated to an A555 for the front diff. It was a custom 1-off.

As for a subie drivetrain, I saw someone do that to a lebaron.

r00tcause
06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
i HEARD of some guy puting a stealth engin and drivetrain in an omni. if he ever finished it i dont know, all i know is someone was trying. anyone else heard of this too?

I've seen it but AFAIK it was never finished.

r00tcause
06-22-2007, 09:55 PM
I guess if it's possible to do that, one could use a subaru drivetrain and then hook up a dodge engine turned to face front/back... A Lancer Evo drivetrain would probably be much easier to adapt, but they'd be much harder to come by then a subie setup, and all their cars are AWD. An evo engine/drivetrain in an omni would be HOT, now wouldn't it? I'd personally like that crammed under a daytona. :thumb:

The EVO is by far the easiest. You could just make an adapter plate for the evo trans and use a 2.2 or a 2.4t.

As for the subie idea, it won't work with anything other than a subie engine. The TD motor would go right through the rad support. The subie is very short because its an H-4.

r00tcause
06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
a subie drivetrain has no chance of handling our torque unless its the STi.

Brian

Yes thats another thing I didn't mention. I was looking at them a while ago. The WRX 5-speed trans is a POS. You'd need an STi 6-speed trans or a built 4EAT (4 speeed auto). It's a silly idea anyhow.

r00tcause
06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
It's been done twice for sure that I know of, twin engine Shadow and twin engined Rampage:thumb: Of course the Rampage makes perfect sense to me, stay with the engine of choice in the front and add another K frame with an auto trans on it in the bed:eyebrows: Plenty of room back there. You know I am trading out the TIII for a Masi 16V motor in the Rampage this year, and I do have a 'spare' Masi motor now:evil: ... My brother (who is a great fabricator but loses interest in a project too quickly for my tastes) has been trying to get me to twin the Rampage for years:evil: ;)

Or did you just mean AWD with a single engine:o Less fun if you ask me:D

That rampage would have some sketchy handling. It'd be killer at the drags though. Put a cover over the bed so they don't know there's 2 motors. :)

moparzrule
06-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Whats the thoughts of a talon TSI or GSX drivetrain? How does theirs work? The cars are similar in size to a daytona, a lot better compared to a stealth. They handle a good bit of power anyway.

Aries_Turbo
06-23-2007, 10:37 PM
reverse rotation engine....

moparzrule
06-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Really? Huh, didn't know that. Very interesting.

Ondonti
06-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Whats the thoughts of a talon TSI or GSX drivetrain? How does theirs work? The cars are similar in size to a daytona, a lot better compared to a stealth. They handle a good bit of power anyway.

What do you mean by a lot better?
Hopefully you dont mean how much power they can handle.
Real info is more helpful.

yet it is sadly true that the older mitsus are installed backwards from chrysler transverse setups.

moparzrule
06-24-2007, 08:09 AM
A lot better size wise is what I meant. What do you mean they can't handle power? I've seen one just install a better clutch and thats it, 450HP later no issues. And the 4G63 puts out torque similar to our cars, it's not a honda 450 HP. I've also seen a 300 HP eclipse with a 100 shot of N20, thats quite a shock to the drivetrain and everything has held up fine. I've known the guy for 3-4 years now nothing has changed.

Devsdaytona
06-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Or you can cut the body of and drop it on a bronco or Ramcharger frame, boom awd and a V8 conversion all at once. :eyebrows: doesn't really improve handling though.

hehe, yeah I know thats not the type of awd this threads about:D

Dusty_Duster
06-25-2007, 09:25 AM
I can't believe no one but me thought of this:

Couldn't you just use the drivetrain out of one of the AWD Caravans?

jamesmonty
06-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Mazda made a MX6 awd that they sold overseas. The tranny looked like a standard fwd tranny with an output shaft out the rear. Don't know how much power it could handle though. Caravan AWD were v6's? Might work for a v6 awd conversion.

Aries_Turbo
06-25-2007, 04:43 PM
caravan setup sucks. only driven off of one axle... the passenger side. <<<---EDIT!!!!!!! THIS IS WRONG. ITS DRIVEN OFF OF THE CARRIER !!!!!!! EDIT audi TT setup would be nice though the rear diff is electronically controlled and the controller is $$$ unless you find an entire junked donor car.

older audi stuff would work as they have a trans similar to a subaru only alot stronger. its like the intrepid stuff. it would be a bit of a tough fit though unless you use a daytona/charger/rampage long nose mobile to fit it all.

Brian

r00tcause
06-28-2007, 08:23 PM
caravan setup sucks. only driven off of one axle... the passenger side. audi TT setup would be nice though the rear diff is electronically controlled and the controller is $$$ unless you find an entire junked donor car.

older audi stuff would work as they have a trans similar to a subaru only alot stronger. its like the intrepid stuff. it would be a bit of a tough fit though unless you use a daytona/charger/rampage long nose mobile to fit it all.

Brian

On that same note - it would be much easier to AWD an intrepid/300m/etc because the moor is in the right position already.

Stock 2.5 SOHC chrsyler motor + adapter plate + audi transmission.

r00tcause
06-28-2007, 08:24 PM
I can't believe no one but me thought of this:

Couldn't you just use the drivetrain out of one of the AWD Caravans?

:lol: :lol:

Sorry but your like the millionth person to "think of it".

TurboGLH
06-28-2007, 08:57 PM
caravan setup sucks. only driven off of one axle... the passenger side. audi TT setup would be nice though the rear diff is electronically controlled and the controller is $$$ unless you find an entire junked donor car.

Brian

A quick note, it's actually driven off the carrier not an axle. The 604's with AWD had a special carrier that is splined where the axle passes through and into the side gears. The transfer case shaft is hollow and engages those splines, and the pass axle has a very very long end that passes through the T-case and into the side gear like normal.

Birddog
06-28-2007, 09:23 PM
A quick note, it's actually driven off the carrier not an axle. The 604's with AWD had a special carrier that is splined where the axle passes through and into the side gears. The transfer case shaft is hollow and engages those splines, and the pass axle has a very very long end that passes through the T-case and into the side gear like normal.

Do you think it could handle any abuse??

Could try robbing the drivetrain for the 323 GTX but then you'd be ripping up the Mazda equal to a GLH..

Aries_Turbo
06-29-2007, 01:06 AM
oh ok chris, so its not that bad then? thats cool. yeah I wonder if it can handle some power. i was going off earlier info that it was off of the axle. thanks for the clearup. :)

now how is the power sent back?

Brian

WickedShelby88
06-29-2007, 09:38 AM
I've heard you can transfer that same carrier setup onto some MUCH better trannys. Possibly a 568? There was an AWD van in the local junkyard a while back and I wanted to do a conversion to the H body I had at the time. IMO the lancer would be a great car to do it to or even an AA body like a spirit RT or something that already has some power. If it would be anything like the eclipses and 3000GT's if you go crazy with the power the little stock parts are going to start breaking like driveshafts and rear diffs, or especially that little carrier setup... That would leave a nasty trail of parts and fluid behind.

TurboGLH
06-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Do you think it could handle any abuse??

Could try robbing the drivetrain for the 323 GTX but then you'd be ripping up the Mazda equal to a GLH..

Unknown to me, I've never had the PTO open. I just know how it's driven because I had one that was a replaced under service contract that I kept around for a while with the thought to use it.

But, reading post's by people more familiar with the whole setup seems to say that no, it would not be up to large amounts of power.

oh ok chris, so its not that bad then? thats cool. yeah I wonder if it can handle some power. i was going off earlier info that it was off of the axle. thanks for the clearup. :)

now how is the power sent back?

Brian

Good way to drive it, but probably won't last behind large power. Remember, it was behind a 3.8 making maybe 215hp and 245 ft/lbs (max, in 2001+ engines. Earlier engines started at 150hp and worked up to 180)

I've heard you can transfer that same carrier setup onto some MUCH better trannys. Possibly a 568? There was an AWD van in the local junkyard a while back and I wanted to do a conversion to the H body I had at the time. IMO the lancer would be a great car to do it to or even an AA body like a spirit RT or something that already has some power. If it would be anything like the eclipses and 3000GT's if you go crazy with the power the little stock parts are going to start breaking like driveshafts and rear diffs, or especially that little carrier setup... That would leave a nasty trail of parts and fluid behind.

The pto will bolt to a any of the 3spd or 5spd tranny's. The problem is how to drive it. The diff simply doesn't have enough material to machine out to drive the pto and the bearing on that side is also larger. A lot of work would have to be done to the diff just to get power to the pto, plus the work to get it to the back of the car.

moparman76_69
06-29-2007, 11:01 PM
You could always do a Mid-engine setup with the DSM drivetrain, then you would have to adapt some kind of diff to the front to drive the front wheels. Then again if it was that easy it'd be done already. For that matter if any AWD setup was anything short of almost impossible, it'd be done already.

Birddog
06-29-2007, 11:43 PM
AMC Eagle!
Downside.. the only 4 banger you could get was the Jeep 2.5
Upside.. The front diff hangs off the block, viscous center diff and there's a V8 conversion kit available!

Aries_Turbo
06-30-2007, 12:15 AM
price is a big issue as well. I mean I could go out today and order/find from a junkyard somewhere the entire drivetrain from an audi TT, cut the bellhousing and weld our bolt pattern on, mount all the stuff and the electronics to control the haldex system and it would work fine but it would be pretty expensive.

im thinking rotating the engine the other way and using a audi 4000/5000 quattro setup wouldnt be that expensive and would work well. lots of fab though.

Brian

t3rse
06-30-2007, 12:01 PM
reverse rotation engine....

wrong, just turned 180*

Aries_Turbo
06-30-2007, 12:06 PM
i know hondas rotate backwards when in this position in the engine bay...

so is it like you took one of our engines and just swung it around the other way and left the original rotation alone... ie once in this postion, it spins the other way but if flipped to our position it spins the right way for our trannies?

If this is so then we could use a DSM AWD setup and just change the mounts.

Brian

moparzrule
06-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Not sure what the huge deal is with AWD anyway. I got most traction in first untill 5000 RPM and full traction in second gear with 300 WHP and kumho 711 tires in my daytona. I beat a 400 horse powerstroke, off the line and to 70 MPH I had a bus length on him ahead of him the entire time. Mach 1's, Cobra SVT, camaro ls1's with air lid and exhaust, see ya later....Just do a few tricks, all of them are fairly cheap if not free and you'll have plenty of traction.

Ondonti
07-01-2007, 08:56 AM
awd is a big deal because i was watching a daily driver 800awhp gt4202 STI today.
Hooking up with baby 300whp is....well
Even with 300whp we wont pretend that there is any traction when trying a real drag launch....and slicks just dont get close to what well built awd's on slicks or rwd's are getting.

also watched a dsm running low 9's

and its not like awd would not be a cool conversion.

t3rse
07-01-2007, 01:44 PM
i know hondas rotate backwards when in this position in the engine bay...

so is it like you took one of our engines and just swung it around the other way and left the original rotation alone... ie once in this postion, it spins the other way but if flipped to our position it spins the right way for our trannies?

If this is so then we could use a DSM AWD setup and just change the mounts.

Brian

exactly, spins clockwise...i'm gonna get my buddy to give me a tranny to see how hard it'd be to bolt to our block.

moparzrule
07-01-2007, 02:42 PM
awd is a big deal because i was watching a daily driver 800awhp gt4202 STI today.
Hooking up with baby 300whp is....well
Even with 300whp we wont pretend that there is any traction when trying a real drag launch....and slicks just dont get close to what well built awd's on slicks or rwd's are getting.

also watched a dsm running low 9's

and its not like awd would not be a cool conversion.

LOL, and the last time you saw a 800 WHP 8v turbo dodge was....when?
300 WHP is a lot for an 8v turbo dodge, so why don't we compare apples to apples here? The reason our cars can't run low 9's isn't because of traction, 8 valves is the reason. I've seen plenty of 9 second FWD cars (not a turbo dodge, but FWD) and I cannot remember but I thought I saw an 8 second FWD car before....can't back that up though it's just from memory. Doesn't forward motion have an SRT-4 in the 9's? Thats FWD only.
If I had slicks I would get 100% traction with 400 WHP with my setup. I had 100% traction in first gear with BFG drag radials on my 300 WHP and slicks are way better than DR's. With proper gearing traction is easy in a FWD. Gary D didn't have a problem hooking up with 500 HP in his reliant once he made the gearing correct.

Aries_Turbo
07-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Gary D didn't have a problem hooking up with 500 HP in his reliant once he made the gearing correct.

i dont think he ever had that kind of power in the car. the last motor he was developing puked on the dyno.

Stephane ran low 9's on 8V. 9.33 to be exact. youd have a hard time getting that to hook on the street but who needs a low 9 sec street car on the street.

T3rse, lemme know what you find. AWD would be a fun swap in an omni. your omni sounds like a good candidate. :) hehe

Ondonti
07-01-2007, 03:14 PM
300 WHP is a lot for an 8v turbo dodge, so why don't we compare apples to apples here? The reason our cars can't run low 9's isn't because of traction, 8 valves is the reason. I've seen plenty of 9 second FWD cars (not a turbo dodge, but FWD) and I cannot remember but I thought I saw an 8 second FWD car before....can't back that up though it's just from memory. Doesn't forward motion have an SRT-4 in the 9's? Thats FWD only.
If I had slicks I would get 100% traction with 400 WHP with my setup. I had 100% traction in first gear with BFG drag radials on my 300 WHP and slicks are way better than DR's. With proper gearing traction is easy in a FWD. Gary D didn't have a problem hooking up with 500 HP in his reliant once he made the gearing correct.
I dont have an 8v and many other people here dont have an 8v and can actually make 700-800whp if they did things right.

moparzrule
07-01-2007, 03:15 PM
who needs a low 9 sec street car on the street.

That was actually a point I was gonna bring up about the DSM you said runs 9's.
Gary ran a 10.41, but I don't know the weight of the car. He was running atleast 450 HP anyway, but I heard before that he cracked 500.

moparzrule
07-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I dont have an 8v and many other people here dont have an 8v and can actually make 700-800whp if they did things right.

There's a few SRT-4's in the 9's, don't you need like 700 HP to do that?

t3rse
07-01-2007, 07:54 PM
I had 100% traction in first gear with BFG drag radials on my 300 WHP and slicks are way better than DR's.

i have an 8v and smoke 3rd and 4th with slicks...look at the SDAC videos, you can hear it. Traction is a major problem, and in an omni weight car with awd (say 2500), it wouldn't take 400whp to hit 10s on street tires.

Aries_Turbo
07-01-2007, 09:35 PM
either way, a RWD TD or a AWD TD would be sweet. I had a quick ride in Larry Bufords (SP?) RWD sundance at SDAC. it was sweet to hear the rear meats squeal in protest. :)

Brian

RoadWarrior222
07-03-2007, 05:56 PM
What's the setup like on Eagle Summits? Similar to talons, DSMs etc?

Seem to have an idea that it was auto AWD, an early INVECs system as later used on some Evos and Lancers, and has been also been mated to 6G72s. Thus have an idea it could probably be "built" for serious power.

Aries_Turbo
07-04-2007, 11:17 PM
ill make separate threads for you guys. this awd and a new traction talk one.

heres the link http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15999

ok done... no more traction/swaybar shims/air shocks/blah blah blah talk here... just AWD stuff.

Brian

zin
07-06-2007, 05:06 PM
So looks like the AWD participants have all "jumped thread"? Just my luck, a day late and a dollar short!

I've been trying to find some in-depth info on the AWD set-up from the Caravans as I've been playing with the idea of installing the 4speed auto into the Omni, and figured if I could do that, I might be able to go all the way to AWD. I'd like to keep the discussion going, it's helpful to work out the obvious issues, and maybe find some I haven't thought of. I'm thinking of using the 4speed auto with the viscus coupler from a Talon, but don't know about the rear diff, I really don't want to use the Caravan's as that looks to be not only too wide, but one heavy somebich. The brings up question of gearing and what might work. My 1st inclination is to use the IRS from a Talon, but I'm not that familiar with them or what kind of gearing is available for them (ie will it match one of the combos available in the 4speed AWD trans?).

t3rse
07-06-2007, 05:16 PM
the caravan stuff wont hold up to any kind of power

i think that our best options are A. evo, same engine config, have to use everything though, and not cheap, B. 1 or 2 g DSM, oce again have to use everything, and turn motor 180*, or C. isuzu impulse RS, same engine config, close in dimensions to small TMs, but i've never seen one faster than 12.80 and they have 1.8Ts so holding up to power is questionable...what about honda CRV?

Pandemoniac
07-06-2007, 07:54 PM
the caravan stuff wont hold up to any kind of power

Probably right, but I think somebody needs to try to shove a bunch of power through one to see what it does take to break it. Is this common statement just based on the fact that these are modified A604s? I always thought they couldn't handle power either, but then I saw the turbo sebring thread... supposedly this 604 was built to handle some serious power, so just maybe there may be hope for the caravan AWD setup.

But anyways, words are just words until someone tries it! and then when one does break, we can fine out where it's weak point is, beef it up and see what's next to go. :nod:
PS: the AWDs are rare at least where I live, but in Alaska just about every caravan sold there was AWD. I lived there several months and saw for myself!

zin
07-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Probably right, but I think somebody needs to try to shove a bunch of power through one to see what it does take to break it. Is this common statement just based on the fact that these are modified A604s? I always thought they couldn't handle power either, but then I saw the turbo sebring thread... supposedly this 604 was built to handle some serious power, so just maybe there may be hope for the caravan AWD setup.

But anyways, words are just words until someone tries it! and then when one does break, we can fine out where it's weak point is, beef it up and see what's next to go. :nod:
PS: the AWDs are rare at least where I live, but in Alaska just about every caravan sold there was AWD. I lived there several months and saw for myself!

I agree with you, that we have to try it before we condemn it, from the looks of the design, it should be plenty strong, it's the controls that need to be fixed. That damn computer tries to compensate for everything in the world, and I think is the reason this trans gets such a bad rap. Besides, the guys with Prowlers, and turbo PTs seem to be doing ok. If I can find another for cheap, I'll give it a go. But I'd really like to get some hard tech info on the AWD set-up/trans before going headlong into the thing. Anyone got suggestions?

Mike

RoadWarrior222
07-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Well as far as I got with looking at the minivan AWD was realising you either need to get the AWD van K-frame to fit, or custom fab one, relocate fuel tank to clear driveshaft, redesign rear suspension, or frankenstein it out of AWD and stock parts.... Might be "easy" on a daytona or 1st gen van that will take the AWD K frame and AWD fuel tank, and maybe use a lot of the AWD back end, but on anything else you tend to start wondering if it's easier than using some non-family AWD system after all, particularly if you can find something more compact that will clear the stock K-frame, and work with a dent knocked in the stock fuel tank or something like that.

Aries_Turbo
07-06-2007, 11:56 PM
id look into getting a AWD van and then spraying it and see what breaks first. :)

Brian

RoadWarrior222
07-07-2007, 04:02 PM
id look into getting a AWD van and then spraying it and see what breaks first. :)

Brian

I hear it might be the motor. Most AWDs had 3.8s and it's said the bores make the block too weak. But somehow they kept bumping the output on it. Best starting point might be the 180HP higher compression version, then see how much of the intake setup you can get on it off an intrepid, then stick a 100hp shot of nitrous in it and see if it holds...

Was looking at as many AWD systems as I could find on the net last night, and realised, every damn one has a major point of suckage. It was seeming to me that no one system is ever going to be an ideal transplant, particularly anything that you have to reverse engineer a control system for. In other words, it looks like the best way to go is custom, a bit of this, a bit of that, a good transfer case, a good center diff, a good rear diff...... try to mix and match to get all the gearing right.... get custom shafts etc made... pretty much build a "proper" full time 4WD system in and avoid all the cost savers and shortcuts that went in most of the production ones.

I see a way to do a rally-raid kind of turbododge, get two lots of front suspension parts, put front K frame on 3 inch spacers, use AWD PTO, build back suspension out of a front suspension, another K frame jacked up 3 inches, use a cutoff TD diff and axles in the back, steal whatever driveshaft seems to have a decent center diff to hook the 2 up and the lift should take care of K frame and fuel tank clearance........

.... then fit big mud tires... get vent louvres on the back... strap a water can and a gas can on the back bumper and spare tires on the roof, and now you've got a turbo Omni ready for the Paris-Dakar ::lol:

Ondonti
07-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I wouldnt want awd unless I could have a manual trans. If the 5 speed dif case cant be modded to work then I would just look elsewere. 3000gt transmissions are great and they now have aftermarket transfercases but I am not sure if someone is going to be able to keep the transmission repair parts from going out of production.
At least with those I dont need a custom bell housing. Im sure evo parts will be available in the future for easier repair.

azkcar135
07-08-2007, 06:04 PM
if you where to go to that length and you want it to hold up 500 plus hp i would get an evo tranny from john sheppard. to do this job right would take some money. but then again how hard would it be to flip the engine around and hook it up to a 1st gen dsm tranny? would the crankspin the right way?

Aries_Turbo
07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
yeah we think it spins the right way. that was covered a few pages back.

Brian

turbospirites
07-08-2007, 10:13 PM
what about a Ram 1500 or Dakota 4X4's put one of the 2.2 or 2.5's in one of them with a trans adapter plate and custom motor mounts and see if we could get one of those moving they have ton's of aftermarket for them.
Well they put big block's in the fwd mopars why not try to do allot of fabrication to get one of those 4X4 unit's in the turbo mopar's

azkcar135
07-08-2007, 11:01 PM
true but it would take alot of torq to get all that moving through a transfer case.

Vigo
07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
fairly OT..

intrepid + 8valve 2.5 as mentioned= teh BIG lose. one turbo 24 valve 3.5 from an intrepid = 2 boosted 2.5 8 valves. : /

the van rear suspension would require a whole bunch of cutting and room, as the diff is mounted to the body, not the axle itself. the simplest solution is a solid rear axle from a rwd adapted to our platform.

as for getting the power back there, the k-frame and steering rack are just as big a problem as bolting a pto onto the tranny if you ask me.

i would so love an AWD caravan tho.. almost bought one for $200 way back.. massively regretting that now.

Dusty_Duster
07-09-2007, 08:26 AM
what about a Ram 1500 or Dakota 4X4's put one of the 2.2 or 2.5's in one of them with a trans adapter plate and custom motor mounts and see if we could get one of those moving they have ton's of aftermarket for them.
Well they put big block's in the fwd mopars why not try to do allot of fabrication to get one of those 4X4 unit's in the turbo mopar's

No, Rams are 4x4, not AWD. They also have solid front axles.

Someone mentioned a Honda CRV. I heard about someone using that drivetrain to make an AWD Integra, but I can't remember where I heard about it at...? That's definitely an option for the hon-duh boys.

The 3000GT drivetrain is an interesting idea, but I wonder how difficult it would be to get it to fit on a Turbo Mopar...

RoadWarrior222
07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Holley did some detective work about the AWD daytona prototypes, makes for an interesting read...
http://www.front-runners.net/blogs/blogs/hunting_the_daytona_4.html

TurboGLH
07-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Holley did some detective work about the AWD daytona prototypes, makes for an interesting read...
http://www.front-runners.net/blogs/blogs/hunting_the_daytona_4.html

That is indeed a great read. Almost makes you want to cry knowing that they were only a few years too late to get free examples of what would possibly be the most sought after setup in TD history.

Pandemoniac
07-09-2007, 10:58 AM
That transfer case/center diff housing bolted to where the pass. side axle housing would go sure is interesting... Looks like a new one would be doable on one of our existing trannys if one had the money. By glancing at that evo drivetrain diagram it looks like a special front diff would be needed for the whole package to work.
I hope one of the originals turns up and someone can take measurements and make new drawings of all the parts!
In the end though probably easier to adapt the evo drivetrain.

Ondonti
07-09-2007, 07:04 PM
No, Rams are 4x4, not AWD. They also have solid front axles.

Someone mentioned a Honda CRV. I heard about someone using that drivetrain to make an AWD Integra, but I can't remember where I heard about it at...? That's definitely an option for the hon-duh boys.

The 3000GT drivetrain is an interesting idea, but I wonder how difficult it would be to get it to fit on a Turbo Mopar...
the 3000gt drivetrain bolts up the a 3.0 but for a 2.2/2.5 there might be better choices. If you are ballin, the 3000gt now has a dogbox available :D

Ondonti
07-09-2007, 07:06 PM
That transfer case/center diff housing bolted to where the pass. side axle housing would go sure is interesting... Looks like a new one would be doable on one of our existing trannys if one had the money. By glancing at that evo drivetrain diagram it looks like a special front diff would be needed for the whole package to work.
I hope one of the originals turns up and someone can take measurements and make new drawings of all the parts!
In the end though probably easier to adapt the evo drivetrain.

Im guessing you are talking about installing the transfer case on an auto trans right?
im still unhappy with not being able to work things out with a manual.
I guess an AWD 3 speed wouldnt be so bad for a drag car.......but an auto would probably put a LOT more hurt on the drivetrain in the lower RPMS

azkcar135
07-10-2007, 07:18 PM
i guess starting this thread i knew it would turn out to be a suggestion fest! i just wanted to see if there was anyone with pics or some hard proof! lol

RoadWarrior222
07-10-2007, 07:57 PM
There's the ghetto method of course, gut the rear drums, go to the pet store, obtain, quantity two, hamsters.....

shad0w2.s_tur80
07-10-2007, 08:30 PM
There's the ghetto method of course, gut the rear drums, go to the pet store, obtain, quantity two, hamsters.....

hahaha i had the idea of the hamstercharger a hamspsert ruing on a wheal driving a fan in the intake. squrils might wokr better they seem faster

r00tcause
07-10-2007, 09:46 PM

Traction is never "easy" in a FWD. Furthermore, in order to get traction you must set the car up in a manner in which it will handle terribly. So sure, it's "ok" for a RACE car but what if you want a street/strip car? FWD is terrible on the road for traction and if you think your daytona has good traction then you've just never been in a car that did.

TurboNeon568
07-20-2007, 09:58 PM
i got one for you. Anyone into off roading competitions?

Have you seen the Saturn powered Rock Crawler's? They Take Saturn Motors AND TRANNIES and turn them SIDEWAYS! they use the diff that is already in the transmission as the power dividing center diff. Now Dana diffs will take anything you throw at them . Make a mount for a pair of Dana 60s, on from the rear of a Ram and the IFS diff from the front of the ram and then use off balanced clutches to changed the amount of power going to the front vs going to the rear. You can take clutches out of the left side/rear (when turned sideways) of the A568 final drive's after market LSD that you installed and this will send more power to the rear differential as power always takes the path of least resistence.

It sounds complicated but when you look at it all completed, it is very simple. It is just taking things that already exist, that you already have, and using them to make something badass.

When it comes down to it, it is cheaper to fabricate brakets for the stuff you already have, then to make something fromt scratch. And we all know that Danas a the stuff! Just make sure that the gear ratios in the danas you use are the same as the final drive in your A568.

moparzrule
07-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Traction is never "easy" in a FWD. Furthermore, in order to get traction you must set the car up in a manner in which it will handle terribly. So sure, it's "ok" for a RACE car but what if you want a street/strip car? FWD is terrible on the road for traction and if you think your daytona has good traction then you've just never been in a car that did.

Dude there was an entire different thread started for this conversation. Click on the link!
My car was a street/strip not a race car. I'm sick and tired of people just saying ''that doesn't work'' to my face when they haven't tried it I've done it. It worked, and it WAS easy and only cost me $65.

mech1nxh
11-18-2007, 01:30 AM
That is indeed a great read. Almost makes you want to cry knowing that they were only a few years too late to get free examples of what would possibly be the most sought after setup in TD history.

RESPECTS.

http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=68204#post68204:)
(post#97)

2.216VTurbo
11-18-2007, 11:09 AM
I'll bite Norm:clap: Any more history on how those parts came to reside on your workbench:eyebrows: ? Gotta be a good story there somewhere;)