PDA

View Full Version : VNTs - Modify or Rebuild Stock?

Whorse
02-02-2006, 01:18 AM
I've been in this discussion with a few friends before, and kind of wondered about this:

Other than the CSX, should the VNT cars (Daytona Lebaron and Shadow) be left stock as they are rare and semi-collectible, or modified and tuned for the fun they can be on the street with their great driveability?

cordes
02-02-2006, 01:23 AM
I would mod it, but only something small, as I would want to keep a VNT car very origional.

Whorse
02-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Does Upgrading to a VNT28 or a Super-60VNT count as small?

Tony Hanna
02-02-2006, 02:02 AM
I'd count that as small since it can always be put back to stock.
I'd just avoid any modifications you can't undo later.

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2006, 02:48 AM
I doubt it will every fetch any decent money so screw it, mod as necessary, :amen:

cordes
02-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Does Upgrading to a VNT28 or a Super-60VNT count as small?

To me it does. I like the idea of it too. Of course the turbine housing will still be a restirction, but it's the price you pay.

JuXsA
02-02-2006, 11:18 PM
these cars aren't worth a damn. I say just modify it what ever way you want and have as much fun with it as you can. The only cars that *might* be worth anything 10-15 years are the shelby cars and even then I doubt it.

Whorse
02-03-2006, 02:10 AM
What about the small prestige of being able to say that only 132 of my car were ever made and less than 40 exist today?

Garret
02-03-2006, 02:17 AM
How about a 1 of 5 black VNTs in Canada ;)

contraption22
02-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Stock sucks... especially VNT's. Rip that turbo off and put something substantial in there.

thx138
02-03-2006, 04:20 PM
How about a 1 of 5 black VNTs in Canada ;)
How did you figure that one out? Were you able to get the production sheets for the canuck cars. I have been trying to locate them and could not.

cordes
02-03-2006, 07:45 PM
While I don't think that the VNT cars (CSX VNT excluded) will never reach the same level of value, I do think that the VNT cars would be more collectable than most other turbo dodges in the future. I know that I would love to find a VNT shadow with the competition package being sold by someone that does not know what they have.

Tony Fields
02-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Why would you say these cars aren't worth a damn.
Just wondering why you are so negative about any future value on these cars.

I must have missed something. :confused:

thx138
02-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Why would you say these cars aren't worth a damn.
Just wondering why you are so negative about any future value on these cars.

I must have missed something. :confused:

I remember when 340 dusters and demons were throw-aways. Try to find one now - you will have to pay decent, even for one that needs much work, it is worth more now than when new (isn't inflation wonderful). I will hang onto my vnt for a while as well.

Whorse
02-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Stock sucks... especially VNT's. Rip that turbo off and put something substantial in there.

I'd have to disagree. I've yet to drive a turbo car that spools up as fast and blows away tires as easily as my lebaron. Sure they lack top end, but the fun factor on the street is tough to beat.

Still tough to say what they'll hold in the future, but the bank did rate my car at 6000 based on worth, which is about 2500 above the blue book value here, and I haven't done much at all to my car, so I was impressed. Doubt I could resell it for that much, but glad someone thinks so.

BadAssPerformance
02-04-2006, 03:50 AM
You can modify any car as long as you do it carefully without cutting or drilling anything and making sure to keep and preserve all of the original parts. Taged bags and detailed notes and pictures of how it is supposed to be helps with this. :thumb:

Whorse
02-15-2006, 03:47 PM
What if your car has been painted and you want to have the decals either removed or added, depending on situation? My car has no VNT decals anywhere on it.

Tony Fields
02-15-2006, 10:40 PM
What if your car has been painted and you want to have the decals either removed or added, depending on situation? My car has no VNT decals anywhere on it.

Are you looking to buy the orig. decals for the car?

the Chrysler and LeBaron GTC for the deck lid are avail from Chrysler:

"Chrysler" part no. is T402JD8
"LeBaron GTC" part no. is T403JD8

The "Intercooled VNT" headlight door decal is avail. from www.arizonaparts.com

Part no. is BE29JD8 (He gets $15.00 each) for these.

After my restoration I also installed an "Intercooled VNT" below the LeBaron GTC on the deck lid of my convertible. Chrysler should have done this in 1990
in addition to the headlight door. In my opinion it was needed.

Whorse
02-16-2006, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't mind the door light decals, but for the rest I'm not too concerned. Keep it hidden as to what's under the hood.

Tony Fields
02-17-2006, 07:01 AM
I wouldn't mind the door light decals, but for the rest I'm not too concerned. Keep it hidden as to what's under the hood.

Most people in my town don't have any idea of what they are looking at
anyway when the look at one of my rides. Even with all the correct emblems or decals installed they still don't get it. :confused: More people laugh and point at my Turbo Mini with the Hemi Dart hood scoop and 5" Tach and boost gauge on top of the dash. :lol: "They have no idea what they are looking at"
or what lies within. :eyebrows:

I do prefer that the GTC VNT with the correct labels. In the proper crowd
the "Intercooled VNT" decal alone will net you a 30 to 40 minute conversation
about the car and what makes it tick. And after all, that's what most of us want to do...talk about the cars. :nod:

Whorse
02-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd have to agree about decals getting you into some conversations. At the same time though, I've had police officers search under my hood for anything illegal because my car said Turbo on it. "Where's your NOS hiding?" "How come you have no exhaust?." SOHC just doesn't seem to make sense to some of them either, so then I've netted myself a 40 minute talk to get myself out of trouble for doing nothing wrong. That or maybe I'm just young and look like trouble.

martin kolner
02-27-2007, 01:41 AM
leave it alone. Just cuz you can't sell it for 40,000 now doesn't mean it won't be worth something later in original condition. Look at all the muscle cars from the 60s and 70s. Same thing.... nobody gave a rat's --- about them at the time so most of them got destroyed. Anyone can take a car and make it faster by Ricky Racing it but it takes much more time and effort to put it back to totally original.

JDAWG
02-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Are you looking to buy the orig. decals for the car?

the Chrysler and LeBaron GTC for the deck lid are avail from Chrysler:

"Chrysler" part no. is T402JD8
"LeBaron GTC" part no. is T403JD8

The "Intercooled VNT" headlight door decal is avail. from www.arizonaparts.com

Part no. is BE29JD8 (He gets $15.00 each) for these.

After my restoration I also installed an "Intercooled VNT" below the LeBaron GTC on the deck lid of my convertible. Chrysler should have done this in 1990
in addition to the headlight door. In my opinion it was needed.

the first 2 numbers you posted are still available at your local dealer.

Whorse
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
That's good to know. Any idea if these are going NS1 soon?

JDAWG
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
If I were you and had the extra $$ I would grab them up.

Whorse
02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Problem is I don't really have the extra $$. If I can hold off even like 2 months that would be huge. Do you have the prices for those?

ironbird720
03-13-2007, 10:56 PM
are those intercooled vnt emblems the same size as the one on my hood of my daytona.One side has peeled off some of the letters and I would love to replace it

Tony Fields
03-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Problem is I don't really have the extra $$. If I can hold off even like 2 months that would be huge. Do you have the prices for those?

T402JD8 was $18.50
T403JD8 was $20.25

This was current on Jan. 2006

Tony Fields
03-15-2007, 10:18 PM
are those intercooled vnt emblems the same size as the one on my hood of my daytona.One side has peeled off some of the letters and I would love to replace it

I believe the decals are different.

Part no. for the Daytona is AH44-5 JR4 according to my e-Fiche v2.0 listing.

LeBaron headlight door decal is OBE29 JD8 (Stamped on package)
e-Fiche # is 4538 231 for the LeBaron

Chrysler must have a cross ref. on these numbers

SpiritedShelbys
01-29-2008, 02:54 AM
You know, as much as I hate to say it, sometimes you have to be REAL about it. These cars will NEVER be BIG money, ever. They have an allure and plenty of cool points to be sure but never will be big dollar cars. Want a high investment return? Look into any '55-'62 Chrysler 300 letter car or ANY performance mopar of the late 50's vintage or stick with the muscle cars. You want something cool to go poke around in? Not many are more practical than our SD's. I don't see anyone repopping many parts for these cars within the next 25 years. So buy 'em, drive 'em, fix 'em, and modify them as YOU want them. These are not investment cars nor will be unless they are the documented #1 cars owned by Shelby himself and even then they will never be high dollar cars. Just priced between 10-40K if that and probably still not get it. Just my .02 and sadly I bet I'm closer than not for these highly under-appreciated cars.

glht_omni
09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
modify it, but dont permantly alter it. the vnt is fun to drive, i would rebuild the vnt before i replaced it, there are plenty of other TI and TII TMs to go all out on. just like i will alway keep my TIII a TIII.

butchsuppe
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
When I saw a Hemi Challenger with a price tag of $50.K I can't see our cars going up in value. Mod it more fun. I think the bottom has dropped out for muscle cars as my soon to be ex-boss can't sell any of his.

HoverFish
09-03-2008, 01:48 AM
I'd want a 4th poll option... I'd modify it but only in ways that can be undone.

JuXsA
09-03-2008, 09:58 AM
VNTs are cool are pretty cool. Just get a bigger VNT and slap that on.

88_pacifica
09-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Holy dead-threads Batman! :confused: