PDA

View Full Version : Car runs rich at idle/part throttle

Turbo3Iroc
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Been trying to figure out why my Daytona has been running rich at idle and part throttle. Hooked the scan tool to it and noticed the adaptave fuel was at +24% and the Charge air temp was reading -45F. This was on a Stg 3 Fwd SBEC, I swapped in a different sensor with no changes. I just swapped in a stock SBEC and the adaptave fuel went down to zero but the intake charge still reads -45F. The only code its showing has been a 43 that I cant get rid of. Swapping coil packs didn't help that.

This is on a fresh stock rebuild and LW Stg 1 cams

Let me know what you guys think,

Kelly
Bristol, CT
92 Daytona IROC R/T
91 Spirit R/T
04 Ram Hemi

Turbo3Iroc
06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
After swapping back to the FWD cal the adaptave fuel went down to zero but the charge air still reads -45F. Put the stock cal back in and the charge air reads 32F now for both sensors.

Between all of this swapping I have been resetting the battery each time.

LowSL2
06-19-2007, 04:03 PM
What scanner are you using? My OTC 4000e with Pathfinder II & Pathfinder 97 reads 32ºF for the charge air temp sensor if I look it the Data Line. But if I go into the Sensor Tests under Deluxe CDR the temp is correct. Just a fluke in the software I think.

Turbo3Iroc
06-20-2007, 12:46 AM
I have a 4000e with Pathfinder II also. I'll check it out through the CDR mode but I get normal readings on my Spirit R/T using the Data Line.

Thing is it's so rich it's very obvious. My car smokes less at WOT on the dyno than it does at idle now.

Turbo3Iroc
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Through the Senor Test on the CDR menu I get 73 at startup so that sounds normal but it's still adding in 19% adaptave fuel.

iTurbo
06-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I have a '91 R/T and my OTC 4000E always shows the correct charge temp in the Data Line screen. Never tried the CDR stuff though. That's with a stock SBEC and a '93 Pathfinder II cartridge. I would guess you have a intermittent connection on one of the coil driver circuits.

Turbo3Iroc
06-20-2007, 02:10 PM
So you're saying I should change the coil pack?

I changed it once already before I noticed this issue but I still get a code 43 after I drive the car a bit.

iTurbo
06-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Could be in an intermittent connection in the wiring. For example, I recently had my speed sensor quit working. Found out it was my fault because I had unplugged some of the connectors behind the battery and used a probe to check a few circuits for continuity, which enlarged the female end of the connector enough that it wouldn't make contact when the plug was reconnected.

Also, I have gotten a code 43 in my R/T once before a long time ago. It came and went with no apparent reason; the only thing I could figure is that the underdrive pulley I had just installed was dragging down the system voltage enough at idle with the headlights and stereo going that the coil wasn't getting enough juice.

Turbo3Iroc
06-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Ill look into the wiring but I don't have any underdrive pullies or big stereo in the car.

iTurbo
06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Have you checked the spark plugs? Are all rich or just one or two?

Turbo3Iroc
06-21-2007, 12:52 AM
All 4 show rich and look pretty normal otherwise.