PDA

View Full Version : Wanted BADLY: 1986 G-body WITH rust free body

LaserXT1986
06-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Hey all,

Title says it all. Let me clarify what I am looking for and am not:

Must be:

-1986 year only
-RUST FREE, 98% or better(no exceptions, I already tried restoring one rusty G-body and will not do it again)
-STRONGLY STRONGLY prefer black exterior (paint condition not important)
-Can be Shelby Z, CS, or XT. If XE, I *may* be interested, but most likely not.
-STRONGLY prefer a factory sunroof car
-T-top model will be considered ONLY if trim is 9/10 condition OR all parts are supplied as well.

Now, I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE FOLLOWING:

-Engine or trans. I have a race engine and trans ready to drop in....you can either supply me with a dead engine, shell, or running...your choice
-Interior: Dont care what color, condition, or completness
-Suspension, wheels, radio, etc: Doesnt matter, Ihave everything to drop into it.

I would prefer one with low miles. If you know of any threads I missed, on this or other boards, please let me know. I am more than willing to pay the appropriate cash for the better condition/low mileage prospects....money talks, and I talk a lot ;-)

Thanks for anyone that can help me out!!

banger68
06-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Good luck with your search. It took quite awhile for me to find the one I got.

DC Turismo
06-19-2007, 12:55 PM
We;ll keep an eye out for you locally Dave! Actually, try to PM WVRampage. He is a chapter member of ours who found a nearly rust free factory sunroof Turbo Z just outside of Morgantown. Only downside is that the car is red. But the price is right - $300! lol...

Check with him to see if it's still for sale!

LaserXT1986
06-19-2007, 03:32 PM
We;ll keep an eye out for you locally Dave! Actually, try to PM WVRampage. He is a chapter member of ours who found a nearly rust free factory sunroof Turbo Z just outside of Morgantown. Only downside is that the car is red. But the price is right - $300! lol...

Check with him to see if it's still for sale!

Hey Billy, thanks for keeping an eye out!! :) What kind of condition was that Z, and was it an 86? Is he in the market to sell it? I am new to the forums so not too "hip" on how to send pm's, only reply to them. Can ya help me out? :D

boostboy
06-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Good luck with your search and a free bump! I looked locally for a nice clean 1st gen tuna and after a two years I finally found an 85 Turbo Z with T-tops. The only problem was it was an automatic, hence why I sold it.

karlak
06-19-2007, 04:07 PM
dont want a Laser??

LaserXT1986
06-19-2007, 04:16 PM
dont want a Laser??

I actually prefer a Laser, but, only if it's an XT or a high end XE.

butchsuppe
06-19-2007, 10:14 PM
My 86 Laser XT Cali car is exactly what you're looking for, but it's not for sale as I spend 2 yrs and 3 grand or more restoring it.

karlak
06-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Think there is one in a bone yard here. Shipping would be high.

LaserXT1986
06-19-2007, 10:28 PM
My 86 Laser XT Cali car is exactly what you're looking for, but it's not for sale as I spend 2 yrs and 3 grand or more restoring it.

Then DON'T bother replying LOL...that's just teasing :p :p :p :p

Sounds like you do in fact have what I want....wish you the best of luck in keeping another XT looking great :D

LaserXT1986
06-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Think there is one in a bone yard here. Shipping would be high.

Well your area would mean it would likely be a rust free car, but I am VERY weary of junkyard cars for several reasons:

1.) They lift and drop those things like they are junk....lol (at least in my neck of the woods...I wouldnt be surprised if the frames were bent from the way they "load" the cars in place.

2.) Being in a junkyard, it would likely then have a salvage title -- no good :(

Just for giggles, do you know any of the specs on it?

moparman76_69
06-20-2007, 06:02 AM
There's a first gen daytona Z for sale on turbo dodge in Mississippi. Not my car just figured I'd pass the info along.

Anonymous_User
06-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Not adding anything constructive to your search...

Not to be picky, but:

-1986 year only
-Can be Shelby Z

The Shelby Z was first produced in '87. The top trim in '86 on the Daytona was the Turbo Z.

tryingbe
06-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Come and get it. (It's not mine.)

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/330356155.html

MiniMopar
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
That's one clean turbo Daytona. Not a Z or anything, but that could be fixed....

briceturbosports
06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
dave the wife said no on the red car but i have a silver one you might want ?
it is an 86 cs t top black int

tryingbe
06-20-2007, 01:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-1986-TURBO-Z-1986-DODGE-DAYTONA-TURBO-Z_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6210QQihZ020QQitemZ30 0122237182QQrdZ1

Skibbe
06-20-2007, 01:11 PM
PM sent.

prostreet70rr
06-20-2007, 04:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-1986-TURBO-Z-1986-DODGE-DAYTONA-TURBO-Z_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6210QQihZ020QQitemZ30 0122237182QQrdZ1

Thats the one I was going to direct him too.

I take it your Joe's friend, I told him about an xt here, but I didnt get to looking it over. I'll go look it over, I'm near where sdac is also if your interested. Its that grey/blue color, forget the name!

LaserXT1986
06-20-2007, 07:43 PM
There's a first gen daytona Z for sale on turbo dodge in Mississippi. Not my car just figured I'd pass the info along.

Thanks, I'll check it out!!

(Edit: Checked it out, it's a 1984, so no good there, looking for 1986 only, thanks anyway)

LaserXT1986
06-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Not adding anything constructive to your search...

Not to be picky, but:

The Shelby Z was first produced in '87. The top trim in '86 on the Daytona was the Turbo Z.

Yes I realized that after I sent it, I was thinking of the Z and C/S models and they just formed (in my head) the Shelby Z, which was only 87 and 88 if I recall. But I figured most people (like yourself) would already know this :)

LaserXT1986
06-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Come and get it. (It's not mine.)

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/330356155.html

Wow, nice car....but the price is a little higher than I wanted to spend ONLY because I'd have to fly out there and drive it home, or, have it sent by carrier (of which I heard horror stories about many, many times).

I may keep an eye on that one tho...defintely feel confident it's rust free if its in AZ :-)

LaserXT1986
06-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Thats the one I was going to direct him too.

I take it your Joe's friend, I told him about an xt here, but I didnt get to looking it over. I'll go look it over, I'm near where sdac is also if your interested. Its that grey/blue color, forget the name!

Yep, I am Joe's friend, and the other croonie that destroyed the GT CRuiser rental at SDAC 15 LOL! I think if you are who I think you are, you're Joe, the guy who sold him his red Lebaron? I was the guy who actually emailed you about his interest in it (From the SDML days) as well as made the trip out there with him when he bought it!! :-)

Let me know what you have, the closeness to SDAC is a big plus, so long as there is no rust :D

LaserXT1986
06-20-2007, 07:51 PM

I looked at this....a BIG NO went off as soon as I saw the spare tire well. I am only about 1/2 hour from where it's at, but not even wasting my time. I just went through hell and back (I could rival Russ Knize's repair job) and not about to go through that again. And in my extensive dealings with rusty G-bodies, esp in the salt belt, if its rusting by the spare tire well, then it's also rusting by the ebrake, front floors, wheel wells, etc. I'd be willing to bet a cold case of beer on that one ;)

(But seriously speaking, thank you very much for the lookout!! I do appreciate everyone's help!! :D :D

Tony Fields
06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow, nice car....but the price is a little higher than I wanted to spend ONLY because I'd have to fly out there and drive it home, or, have it sent by carrier (of which I heard horror stories about many, many times).

I may keep an eye on that one tho...defintely feel confident it's rust free if its in AZ :-)

David....
Martin, the owner of the red car in AZ is a member here on Turbo-Mopar
I have purchased parts from him before.....was pleasant to deal with
and has a lot of stuff

butchsuppe
06-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Then DON'T bother replying LOL...that's just teasing :p :p :p :p

Sounds like you do in fact have what I want....wish you the best of luck in keeping another XT looking great :D
Sorry about the tease, a fellow SoCal SDAC member has 1 almost identical to mine and been jealous of my progress on the car. Unfornuately he's been unable to find some trim peices to finish his. We've been looking for them for over a year now at the local yards. Many parts I've gotten came off cars that had no business being there, which really angers me. There should be a law against scraping these cars.:nod:

prostreet70rr
06-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Yep, I am Joe's friend, and the other croonie that destroyed the GT CRuiser rental at SDAC 15 LOL! I think if you are who I think you are, you're Joe, the guy who sold him his red Lebaron? I was the guy who actually emailed you about his interest in it (From the SDML days) as well as made the trip out there with him when he bought it!! :-)

Let me know what you have, the closeness to SDAC is a big plus, so long as there is no rust :D

Yeah, thats been a few years, sucks the car didnt last. The previous owner lived in the mountains, must have seen alot of salt. I forgot about the sdml, I must be getting old! I need to get a better look underneathe and such, hard to say now, its been sitting for years, think it was pretty low mileage.

My 85 turbo z rusted a little, but I've fixed it a little here and there over the years. Those cars dont seem to rust around the wheel wells like the 90+, my 91 needs quarter work, but then its nice underneathe. But I know what ya mean, floors, wheelwells, etc...

MiniMopar
06-21-2007, 10:42 AM
I looked at this....a BIG NO went off as soon as I saw the spare tire well. I am only about 1/2 hour from where it's at, but not even wasting my time. I just went through hell and back (I could rival Russ Knize's repair job) and not about to go through that again. And in my extensive dealings with rusty G-bodies, esp in the salt belt, if its rusting by the spare tire well, then it's also rusting by the ebrake, front floors, wheel wells, etc. I'd be willing to bet a cold case of beer on that one ;)

I hear ya man. I will never do that again. It may start with the trunk or floorpans, but once you start digging you'll find rust everywhere. I'm still chasing rust on the Daytona. Now the top windshield channel is rusting through and the paint under the spoiler is bubbling.

BadAssPerformance
06-29-2007, 01:27 AM
why not '85?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15824

LaserXT1986
06-29-2007, 03:52 AM
why not '85?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15824

Had one, the wiring from 85 to 86 is TOTALLY different. Believe me, it's a friggin nightmare with some of the mods I wanted to (and successfully, on an 86 model) did. I.e.:

-Electronic dash, navigator, voice alert, and the 1987-89 "Automatic climate control". I took a fully analog 86 XT and converted it with minor effort...tried years ago to do the same in an 85 and ending up scrapping the shell because NOTHING matched up to the bulkhead or other wiring harnesses in the car :(

There's more, but believe me, I had an 85 many years ago, too much aggravation. It's just a "sit and wait" game now, I have the money, just have to find the right car ;)

BTW, JT, thanks for doing all the video, including my fiancee beating Angelo Taylor :D :D When you get the video done (which I am sure will take time to do it right), I will be one of the first buyers!!

BadAssPerformance
06-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Gotcha... sounds like a ton of stuff that is different then.

No problem, between Dave and I and whatever else people contribute, I think we got almost too much video, LOL :thumb:

briceturbosports
06-29-2007, 08:22 AM
so when are you coming up to checkout the silver one ?

LaserXT1986
06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
so when are you coming up to checkout the silver one ?

Is it defintely an 86? I forget if you told me if it was an 85 or 86.....and what if any rust was present? I prefer zero to.....zero rust LOL (just not up for going through ANY rust repairs again :(

Let me know!! :-)

briceturbosports
06-29-2007, 01:51 PM
it has t tops ? what year is it ? aaa :)

GLHSKEN
06-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Just let Dave's Fiance work on it. If it's anything like her driving, The car will be up in half the time :lol:

karlak
07-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Found you a black 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z while driving thru Ozark Alabama. Would post the pics if I knew how.

briceturbosports
07-03-2007, 12:43 PM
here you go dave

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Nice car :thumb:

briceturbosports
07-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Nice car :thumb:

thank you i keep telling him to come look at it . i am only 40 min drive for him:thumb:

LaserXT1986
07-05-2007, 02:45 AM
Just let Dave's Fiance work on it. If it's anything like her driving, The car will be up in half the time :lol:

LMAO Ken!! Now THAT would be the life...me chilling inside, while SHE does all the work on the car. Truly, I would be "King" :p :p

here you go dave

Greg,

You gonna be at Carlisle? I'll talk about this then, but most importantly, is it an 85 or 86? If it's an 85, it's of no use, sadly. Is there ANY underside rust at all? And do the t-tops leak?

briceturbosports
07-05-2007, 08:09 AM
You gonna be at Carlisle? I'll talk about this then, but most importantly, is it an 85 or 86? If it's an 85, it's of no use, sadly. Is there ANY underside rust at all? And do the t-tops leak?[/QUOTE]

yea i will be there .It is an 86 all but a handful of t top cars are 86 i thought you knew that and no it does not leak thats why the floors are rust free :nod: see you there later greg

LaserXT1986
07-05-2007, 08:33 AM
yea i will be there .It is an 86 all but a handful of t top cars are 86 i thought you knew that and no it does not leak thats why the floors are rust free :nod: see you there later greg

I'll be there Saturday Greg!!

PM me in private what you were thinking of getting for the car, I may stop up on Sunday to take a look at it after we talk at Carlisle saturday. If I recall, it isn't driveable correct? I may have to bribe Bruce or you to trailer it down here :p :p

(PS: It was late when I posted that other comment asking the year, so I was sleepy...otherwise I would have caught the "t-top/86" connection :o

firebaron90
07-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Hey Greg,

Nice looking car! Part of me says thanks for keeping his dreams alive of one day driving a REAL turbo dodge again.....the other half curses you due to all the work it will need (and my involvement in it resurrection...;) . But then again, the real culprit is the car he has now. It has more rusticles than the TITANIC.

JOe

briceturbosports
07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
dave remember to call me about looking at the car friday :thumb:

TopDollar69
07-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Here is a nice black 86 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-Chrysler-Laser-1986-Chrysler-Laser_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6181QQihZ013QQite mZ230152295877QQrdZ1

LaserXT1986
07-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Here is a nice black 86 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-Chrysler-Laser-1986-Chrysler-Laser_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6181QQihZ013QQite mZ230152295877QQrdZ1

WOW this is nice....is anybody nearby enough to take a look at it for me?

Also....stupid question but, what are the odds of a Florida car having rust (don't laugh....I have a CA car that is my current project. It was a CA car for all but 2 years (as confirmed by Carfax before I bought it). Last 2 years of it's life before I bought it were spent in IL. And it was the WORST rust project I ever saw.

Thoughts on rust? I'm going to email the guy shortly.....

LaserXT1986
07-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Well, I emailed the guy about this car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...52295877QQrdZ1

He told me the reserve, which is within what I was willing to shell out for the "right car", if the "right car" was less project and more turn-key (which in this case, it is).

Problem is, while he "claims" it doesn't have rust, he wasn't able to get pictures. His words:

"i can assure you the entire under carriage is rust free i know this because i had at exhaust place was contemplating on 3 inch exhaust decided to leave stock this car is originally from washington state also when i replaced carpets all of inner floorboards still had factory black paint on them".

My concerns here are two-fold:

1.) Washington state? Isn't that an area known for rusty cars, much like the NE??
2.) Just because the INSIDE floorboards are still showing black paint, doesnt mean the outside isn't rust-free. Been there, seen/done that. While the black paint is a generally good sign, it could also mean the rust hasn't gotten "all the way through" yet, too.

I emailed him explaining the LAST time I bought a car from ebay "underbody unseen" and went by someone's "words"...I got screwed...BIG time.

Thoughts from anyone? I'd fly down and buy this if the rust was
"guaranteed" not to be there...but I am a little hesistant on a car that nice with no underbody pictures available....

TopDollar69
07-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I would really like to see pictures of the ebrake area and the spare tire well. Probably the seam between the firewall and the front frame rails also. I wouldnt think that it would be that hard to get pictures of those areas. Judging by the interior though, I'd say the owner has taken imaculate care of the car though. I would have a hard time believing the bottom side isnt as nice as the inside-outside.

BadAssPerformance
07-15-2007, 07:42 PM
My concerns here are two-fold:

1.) Washington state? Isn't that an area known for rusty cars, much like the NE??
2.) Just because the INSIDE floorboards are still showing black paint, doesnt mean the outside isn't rust-free. Been there, seen/done that. While the black paint is a generally good sign, it could also mean the rust hasn't gotten "all the way through" yet, too.

I emailed him explaining the LAST time I bought a car from ebay "underbody unseen" and went by someone's "words"...I got screwed...BIG time.

Thoughts from anyone? I'd fly down and buy this if the rust was
"guaranteed" not to be there...but I am a little hesistant on a car that nice with no underbody pictures available....

1) PNW cars unless they arre form the mountains or coast could be clean...

2) G-bodys are rust magnets, the places they rust first are not always seen easily as well. Not to mention a florida coast car could be rusty...

you need to get pics or find a local to look at it (and get pics) or get on a plane....

LaserXT1986
07-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I would really like to see pictures of the ebrake area and the spare tire well. Probably the seam between the firewall and the front frame rails also. I wouldnt think that it would be that hard to get pictures of those areas. Judging by the interior though, I'd say the owner has taken imaculate care of the car though. I would have a hard time believing the bottom side isnt as nice as the inside-outside.

I would agree with you on all points as well, but as I explained to the guy, the LAST car I bought from ebay years ago, looked PERFECT! It had a $4000 paint job as well that was 2 years old (with about 6 inchess of reciepts for every repair he did on it). It was INITIALLY a CA car, but the last 2 years of its life were right outside of Chicago (confirmed with carfax). And in those 2 years I dunno what happened, but when I got it it was the WORST rusted car I ever saw. Of course, he swore he had no idea, saying "why would I take care of the car so well if it was rusty?". Either way, that was a $2800 mistake I won't make again. I did learn to look at EVERY spot these cars love to rust at tho!! ;)

1) PNW cars unless they arre form the mountains or coast could be clean...

2) G-bodys are rust magnets, the places they rust first are not always seen easily as well. Not to mention a florida coast car could be rusty...

you need to get pics or find a local to look at it (and get pics) or get on a plane....

My fear was the same on the Florida coast car. I know from experience there are 4 spots that these cars rust, and rust badly:

1.) Spare tire well
2.) E-brake area
3.) Behind the strut towers on the firewall (which as it progresses, spreads down to the wheelwells).
4.) Floorpans where they overlap before the drivers/passenger seat.

But in my experience, I have never seen a car rust in the area behind the strut towers (hardest spot to look for) unless it was already bad underneath at the other locations.

I just checked my ebay email and turns out he said he will try to get it on a lift at a tire place, and take pictures on Tuesday. I am going to email him a diagram of a chrysler underbody with circles of areas I want specific pictures of :-)

But if any members are nearby and could take a look, I would make it worth their while...lemme know!!

BadAssPerformance
07-15-2007, 09:51 PM
I know from experience there are 4 spots that these cars rust, and rust badly:

1.) Spare tire well
2.) E-brake area
3.) Behind the strut towers on the firewall (which as it progresses, spreads down to the wheelwells).
4.) Floorpans where they overlap before the drivers/passenger seat.

5) body seam/panel at the front of the rear wheel wells, especially on cars with GFX
6) rocker to floorpan seams
7) bottoms of doors
8) lip of hatch
9) around windsheild trim, especially if the window was replaced

TopDollar69
07-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Lip of hatch is a big one, even my 28k mile Laser has a small amount of surface rust there.

LaserXT1986
07-15-2007, 10:29 PM
5) body seam/panel at the front of the rear wheel wells, especially on cars with GFX
6) rocker to floorpan seams
7) bottoms of doors
8) lip of hatch
9) around windsheild trim, especially if the window was replaced

Lip of hatch is a big one, even my 28k mile Laser has a small amount of surface rust there.

LOL yes to all the above, but I when I listed rust I meant places that can't be replaced. Typically on JT's #6 this wouldn't show up unless rust was already there, i.e., e-brake (of course this based on my personal experience with the 4 G-body's I've owned, of course anything "is" possible). And the windshield one is one I did forget :wow1:

BTW, I haven't found a G-body yet that didn't have lip rust on the hatch, EVEN if the rest of the car was rust free!! But I have....oh....more body panels, doors, and other parts (all for 84-86 G bodies) than I can count ;)

Thanks for all the support and suggestions guys :)

RattFink
07-15-2007, 10:32 PM
my dad went to the junkyard saturday and saw a 1986 daytona with c/s badges on the fenders. He didn't look at it really close, but he said it appeared to be rust free and complete. He said it looked like someone just drove it in. I'm going back tomorrow to get the window louvers off the back for my car and im gona take a good look at it and maybe even try to buy it.
I can let you know what going on with it.

Turbo3Iroc
07-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Where are you located Rattfink? Also will a J yard sell a body once its processed in the yard?

RattFink
07-15-2007, 11:22 PM
I am located about 10 miles east of Grad Rapids Michigan. I'm gonna see if their willing to sell me the whole car. It's still got the engine and transmission in it. I wanna try and save it from the crusher and probly sell it to somebody who will use it. I got my hands full with my 1991 shelby daytona. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow morning and I'll let you know whats going on.

JeremyL
07-15-2007, 11:36 PM
I guess my car is the only one around without rust in the e-brake area or lip of the hatch. My car's clean except for one spot, and that's the spare tire well. Between the years of storage & a missing grommet around the rear wiper shaft it's got some rust. I've got an extra spare tire well that I cut from a parts car, and I plan to cut away the rusted area & replace it. Of course I have to disassemble the entire stereo & remove the box & amp rack to even get to it now.

firebaron90
07-16-2007, 12:49 AM
BTW, I haven't found a G-body yet that didn't have lip rust on the hatch, EVEN if the rest of the car was rust free!! But I have....oh....more body panels, doors, and other parts (all for 84-86 G bodies) than I can count

I know of one........:p

BadAssPerformance
07-16-2007, 08:19 AM
BTW, I haven't found a G-body yet that didn't have lip rust on the hatch, EVEN if the rest of the car was rust free!! But I have....oh....more body panels, doors, and other parts (all for 84-86 G bodies) than I can count

I know of one........:p

I know of another, although it still has a little surface rust here and there and has not seen salt since January 1994...

briceturbosports
07-16-2007, 09:07 AM
my car is junk sitting out side after being in side for the last seven years has killed it :mad: so if anyone needs parts let me know

banger68
07-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Also....stupid question but, what are the odds of a Florida car having rust (don't laugh....I have a CA car that is my current project.

I have 2 Florida cars and they are spotless underneath. They both did have some surface rust on the hatch lip. The obvious spot to look is the e-brake. Then check in the front wheelwells behind all that seam sealer accross the top and around the outer edge. It can look fine and still be rusted behind there. Have to poke with a screw driver or something similar. If these spots are good, most likely the rest of the car is good.

There are always exceptions to the rules though. I have a mint rust free hatch (not even surface rust) that I got from a car that had floor rust.