PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Chatter

mcsvt
02-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Ok, can somebody describe clutch chatter to me?

I have an RPS 1100 clutch from what I am told. Just bought the car a bit over a month ago. Sitting in neutral clutch out, the pedal will pulsate. Driving down the road in most gears it will also pulsate, when I get on it, the pedal will pulsate violently. The previous owners solution was to hold his foot on the clutch lightly to keep the pedal from vibrating.

Now I don't mind the heavy pedal, it's no fun in nyc traffic but I can put up with it for having a clutch that hasn't slipped a bit. My question is, do I have a problem or is this really just clutch chatter?

Thanks for the help.

Tony Hanna
02-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Actual clutch chatter will shake the car when you take off. The pedal pulsation sounds more to me like something is out of true or a throwout bearing issue.

Wannaberacer
02-02-2006, 01:19 AM
sounds to me like you need a new flywheel bub. i didn't change the one in the neon i used to own when i got my centerforce D/F clutch put in. and they also "forgot" to change the throw out bearing and used my old one.. f'n idiots... (the garage that did it. not you guys)

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Clutch chatter is when you let the clutch out, it starts to bite and the whole car shakes.

Your describing a bent item. I bet when the tranny was installed, they tilted it and the input shaft bent the pressure plate fingers. This will cause your jumpy pedal. Seen it happen a 1000 times. Theres a slight chance your flywheel is bent or mounted crooked-grit stuck between the flywheel and crank.

johnl
02-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Clutch chatter is when you let the clutch out, it starts to bite and the whole car shakes.

Your describing a bent item. I bet when the tranny was installed, they tilted it and the input shaft bent the pressure plate fingers. This will cause your jumpy pedal. Seen it happen a 1000 times. Theres a slight chance your flywheel is bent or mounted crooked-grit stuck between the flywheel and crank.

Voice of experience.

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2006, 04:33 AM
Voice of experience.

hahhha, I have never done it but replaced clutches by people that have.

mcsvt
02-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Ok thats what I was affraid of. The car does shake when I let out the clutch, but the pedal vibration is the main issue. Looks like a new clutch, flywheel and t/b are in my future. Anybody recommend a light weight flywheel or should I stick with stock?

Edit: I will add that cruising in 5th I have little to no vibration.

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Ok thats what I was affraid of. The car does shake when I let out the clutch, but the pedal vibration is the main issue. Looks like a new clutch, flywheel and t/b are in my future. Anybody recommend a light weight flywheel or should I stick with stock?

Edit: I will add that cruising in 5th I have little to no vibration.

Hmmmmmmmm, that throws a wrench into it. If your cruising in 5th and lightly step on the clutch pedal, does it jump?

mcsvt
02-02-2006, 01:41 PM
I would say no it doesn't jump. I have noticed if I am sitting at a light, usually I have the clutch all the way out and in neutral, if I push the clutch in about and inch or two, the vibration goes away.

green IROC R/T
02-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I agree you have a bent finger on the pressure plate. You probably don't feel it in 5th because it's spinning so fast- what does it feel like in 4th at 60MPH?

mcsvt
02-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Not sure off hand. But I can say when I am getting on it in 2nd or 3rd and going pretty fast the vibration can be violent.

I have a message into Chris W to see which of his clutch packages he recommends for my setup. I know the previous owner had slipping problems with most clutches until the RPS clutch.

Now I just need to finds somebody in the NYC area that would help me install it. I can't do it where I live :( and probably not confident enough to do it myself.

blackjack
02-08-2006, 12:31 PM
ok so what do you do about real clutch chatter only when getting in gear. as the car i am looking at getting has it. Thanx.

mcsvt
02-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I think if it is actually clutch chatter, then you just deal with it. From my understanding it is a product of an aggressive clutch.

Looks like I am going to go with TU's Kevlar clutch. Just waitin for a check from somebody then I will be ordering it :D Still need to find assistance in the NY area so that I can actually install it.

turbovanmanČ
02-08-2006, 01:24 PM
ok so what do you do about real clutch chatter only when getting in gear. as the car i am looking at getting has it. Thanx.

Bad motor mounts will produce chatter also. If your buying the car and its cheap enough and you can't stand it, check out the mounts and if ok, replace the clutch. If the car is more and you can't afford it, just ignore it, lol, until you can afford to fix it, :nod: