PDA

View Full Version : TII injectors on stock TI log motor?

93sundance
06-18-2007, 02:13 AM
I hear it will run rich. The question is how rich? Is this a good or bad idea?

BadAssPerformance
06-18-2007, 02:20 AM
We ran stock TII injectors (32 lb/hr) in a T1 log in the New Yorker, when it was still a log... Ran fine on the stock '87 T1 Logic Module. :thumb:

Keito
06-18-2007, 07:19 AM
For what it looks like you are doing, take the fuel pressure
regulator off and crush it a little in a vice like Gus did.
This will raise your fuel pressure a few PSI, more than enough to run to cutout on your log.
This is what I did to my GLHT years ago.
Like I said in another post, I went 15.01 w/ the rear seats
removed and the exhaust cut off behind the cat.

BadAssPerformance
06-18-2007, 08:11 AM
FWIW, we ran the New Yorker with a stock T1 regulator, no vise style ghetto kustomization needed.

93sundance
06-18-2007, 11:13 AM
For what it looks like you are doing, take the fuel pressure
regulator off and crush it a little in a vice like Gus did.
This will raise your fuel pressure a few PSI, more than enough to run to cutout on your log.
This is what I did to my GLHT years ago.
Like I said in another post, I went 15.01 w/ the rear seats
removed and the exhaust cut off behind the cat.

I was thinking about doing that too.. However it would be easier to install the TII injectors I have sitting in my my living room collecting dust :thumb:
BTW, we are already running to cutout with the stock fuel system. Cutout is only 11 psi in 1985!
If it runs too rich with the 33 pph injectors, i'll definetly try crushing the regulator instead.

MiniMopar
06-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Just FYI, you can't use the clips because the log fuel rail is different. The injectors do physically fit, though.

GLHNSLHT2
06-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Bad idea. Get an MP computer 1st. That'll take care of your cutout. 2nd a wideband a/f. Why? Cause the NB gauges are inaccurate. Also a buddy has a T1 log motor he threw on the dyno. It's stock with an MP computer and side exit 2.5" exhaust with a dynomax muffler. It pegged the wideband on the dyno at over 10:1. Way too much fuel even with the stock injectors. I guess my point is that just throwing on big injectors without knowing how much fuel you have is a "bad idea". Why? Because at anything over 11.0:1 you can really feel the power drop off.

MiniMopar
06-18-2007, 02:53 PM
The way it is done is that you put on bigger injectors and clamp the MAP signal (diode, bleed, etc) to avoid cutout. Then you will be rich at stock boost levels, yes, but as the boost rises above the MAP clamp the mixture will lean-out. When not at WOT, the computer will try it's best to lean out the mixture enough. It does a reasonable job, though it will be rich at cold startup and probably have other drivability issues.

It's an old skool hack for sure (and a bit risky with the MAP modding business), but it's cheap and I know people that are MAP hack LUVers...*cough*JT*cough*...and get good results.

BadAssPerformance
06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
...It's an old skool hack for sure (and a bit risky with the MAP modding business), but it's cheap and I know people that are MAP hack LUVers...*cough*JT*cough*...and get good results.

LOL, '87 Logic Modules love to run more than 2-bar on a 2-bar cal if you add enough fuel :thumb:

93sundance
08-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Also a buddy has a T1 log motor he threw on the dyno. It's stock with an MP computer and side exit 2.5" exhaust with a dynomax muffler. It pegged the wideband on the dyno at over 10:1. .

I am a little confused about what you are saying. IF we ran the MP computer with the BONE STOCK fuel system, we could run over 11 psi, and it might still be rich? If we ran over 11 psi with the stock 1985 LM, is it going to most likely lean out? To my understanding, the stock injectors can support over 11 psi. However, if I was to run the stock 85 LM, and simply kill the cutout, that could be a bad idea if I keep the fuel system bone stock? The ECU would think the boost is under 11 psi, and end up leaning out the motor, right?

Right now, neither my friend or I have very much extra money to put into this car. It would be nice to get this thing running 14s on a tight budget. It's record so far is 15.42 @ 88.5 @ aprox. 10 psi (2.18 60ft). That was with me driving :D

BIGBRUDDA
08-07-2007, 01:00 PM
You can mod the injector to fit. I've done this twice. :nod:
Install injector in rail,(bottom it out) ease clip on, mark location on injector tower.
Carefully now,:D cut a groove at the clip mark with a small saw or blade( jewelers saw) about 1/8 in deep. The clips will now secure the injector.
Use new "O" rings , lube with silicone spray for installation.:thumb:

I'm currently running "813"/32lb injectors on my 86 C/S.
Idles a little rich, runs GOOD, burbles on downshifts.:cool: Gets >30 mpg highway.:bolt:
I had 16+lb boost at SDAC. I run a "GUS MAHON" old skool G valv/cut out rig 4 passes no problems.:D

93sundance
08-07-2007, 02:44 PM
I am starting to think it would be best to keep the car stock, and just concentrate on swapping to TII. Hell, we have most of the parts.

MiniMopar
08-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Your instincts are leading you in the right direction....