PDA

View Full Version : 2.0L/2.4L Thermostat Relocation

BadAssPerformance
06-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Anyone relocate the 2.0L/2.4L thermostat outlet from the intake to the driver's side end of the head? Any reason not to do this? Anyone got pics?

BadAssPerformance
06-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Any thought to switching the t-stat to the opposite end of the engine as the waterpump might help cross motor coolant flow?

contraption22
06-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Its not really an issue with the 2.0/2.4. The head gasket seems to do a good job of directing coolant flow.

BadAssPerformance
06-15-2007, 03:39 AM
Good to know... anyone ever do it tho? The waterneck is in the way of my fuel rail and probably the throttle body too.

Speedeuphoria
06-15-2007, 08:11 AM
well I think Russ Jerome did it on his hybrid(heard of at least 1 other that spoke of it) and if you look at the mitsu motors that are similar, they are there(may be able to use that housing for the stat).

It wouldnt hurt anything and keep some heatsoak from cyl#1 intake manifold.

SebringLX
06-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Good to know... anyone ever do it tho? The waterneck is in the way of my fuel rail and probably the throttle body too.
Not sure how you would move the waterneck, since there is a hole in the head where it mounts to. The one used on the 2G Stratus/Sebring 2.4L is at a better angle than the one on the SRT-4, doesn't get in the way so much. I know I have more room there for my fuel rail than the SRT-4 guys do. My throttle body points out towards the driver side though, since I am using a modified SRT-4 intake manifold. So no chance of the waterneck getting in the way of my throttle body, lol.

Speedeuphoria
06-16-2007, 08:58 AM
you just block it off at the head/intake and make something work at the freeze plug in the head on the drivers side.

turboshad
06-16-2007, 04:51 PM
The thing that would worry me is the stock HG has holes in it with varying sizes to help control the coolant flow across the head. By changing where the exit is you are also changing how the coolant is flowing and these holes may now be causing you head to not cool evenly. It's like prying with a screw driver. It was designed for torque but also works great for prying but in the end you will break it because that is not what it was designed for.

DJ

Russ Jerome
06-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Center of head, old freeze plug location:
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/418rear.jpg

Stock t-stat.
Die grind freeze plug hole so stat just drops in.
Drill/Tap two 5/16 or 8mm holes to hold
stock 2.2/2.5 tstat housing.

I modified the headgasket so all steam ports were
the same (no drill bits, it will tear). Four EGT gauges
read the same at hot idle or 140mph on freeway at
23psi boost. I liked it so much my new hybrid in the
RWD is getting the same thing (yup the t-stat will
be against the firewall but it works nice, no goofy
staggerd holes in gasket).

Russ Jerome
06-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Not sure how you would move the waterneck, .

I took i piece of flatstock, and made a blockoff plate. This
needs one additional hole to be drilled/tapped for a solid
seal. Pretty strait forward and free's up space and makes
timing belt clearance a non-issue.

Speedeuphoria
06-16-2007, 08:56 PM
stock 2.2/2.5 stat I assume?

BTW hows the rwd colt comming?

BadAssPerformance
06-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Center of head, old freeze plug location:
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/418rear.jpg

Stock t-stat.
Die grind freeze plug hole so stat just drops in.
Drill/Tap two 5/16 or 8mm holes to hold
stock 2.2/2.5 tstat housing.

I modified the headgasket so all steam ports were
the same (no drill bits, it will tear). Four EGT gauges
read the same at hot idle or 140mph on freeway at
23psi boost. I liked it so much my new hybrid in the
RWD is getting the same thing (yup the t-stat will
be against the firewall but it works nice, no goofy
staggerd holes in gasket).

Sweet! I might just have to do that!

Thanks Russ! :thumb:

...I could probably get Cometic to make some gaskets with an even hole layout too.

Russ Jerome
06-18-2007, 01:28 PM
stock 2.2/2.5 stat I assume?

BTW hows the rwd colt comming?

Stock 2.2/2.5 stat, correct.

It'll be worth the wait, starting to look like a car again.
Not updating my site till later this month when on a
new IP provider.

rbryant
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Fellow engine swappers,

It looks like I will be moving the waterbox to the #4 freeze plug on my GLHS 2.4 swap. I have a radiator with a driver side inlet and there just isn't room to get over the custom intake neatly with a hose...

I have a 900 mile engine so I don't plan on pulling the head. I think running an AN line from the blockoff plate in the stock location around to the new waterbox should work in place of modifying the HG. It is kind of like a reverse #4 mod to equalize things...

My plan is to buy a SB chevy waterneck 1" spacer and put that on the side of the head. That way I get a place to put my heatercore feed line and some temp senders.

Meziere Enterprises WN0028B (There are also different colors and ebay units with different hole configurations)

It is slightly larger than the hole and has a wide bolt pattern but there is room for it. It will also give me practically infinite and cheap choices for the t-stat and t-stat housing. I just have to machine the side of the head flat... I am thinking that a hand belt sander should work as a brute force crude method of getting a machined surface for the oring....

-Rich