PDA

View Full Version : Follow the tubes!

8valves
06-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Can someone figure out where this is headed? :eyebrows: I've been busy!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF0010.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF0015.JPG

Schedule 10 SS304 cast pipe, welded with argon w/ backpurging on a Lincoln 185 using 309L 1/16" filler for tube joints and 308L on the head flange.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF0014.JPG

That's the only teaser you guys get 'till it's nearly done.

overlordsshadow
06-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Damn that is SO awesome. No power steering pump I guess.

cordes
06-14-2007, 04:36 PM
yeah, if I had to guess, I would say it is goiin near where the PS would have been, or even farther up there since it is in an l body

BadAssPerformance
06-14-2007, 05:22 PM
looking good :thumb:

Warren Stramer
06-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Nice! Aaron, by the time you are done building that you will see tubes in your sleep.

8valves
06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Nice! Aaron, by the time you are done building that you will see tubes in your sleep.

Call me psycho, but to try to get myself to calm down and relax to fall asleep I've been kind of mapping out in my head just what angles I want to use to get the collector's just right, and where to position them.

As far as the welding goes... do you have a guesstimation on how things are looking? The ones pictured are single pass. I'm not getting huge penetration on the backside, so I'm thinking of doing a first fusion only pass (tube fitment is plenty tight for it, and the thick stuff goes together nicely!) and then a finish pass afterwards. Thoughts? Most of the joints are beveled, but not all of them.

Warren Stramer
06-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Call me psycho, but to try to get myself to calm down and relax to fall asleep I've been kind of mapping out in my head just what angles I want to use to get the collector's just right, and where to position them.

As far as the welding goes... do you have a guesstimation on how things are looking? The ones pictured are single pass. I'm not getting huge penetration on the backside, so I'm thinking of doing a first fusion only pass (tube fitment is plenty tight for it, and the thick stuff goes together nicely!) and then a finish pass afterwards. Thoughts? Most of the joints are beveled, but not all of them.

Welding looks fine as long as you are running gas inside the pipe you will be fine.
I would be more concerned about the weight of the tubing. that pipe is pretty heavy to be making as long as you explained to me. hope you have some good supports in the map in your head;)

WVRampage
06-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Looking good.I hope it all fits where you want it.

Directconnection
06-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Welding looks fine as long as you are running gas inside the pipe you will be fine.
I would be more concerned about the weight of the tubing. that pipe is pretty heavy to be making as long as you explained to me. hope you have some good supports in the map in your head;)

You need to run argon inside the pipe? How?

My welded el manifold, I need to plug two small egt probe holes and an area that wasn't welded on the inside. I am worried about welding it and it forming a crack. What should I do? We have a machineable rod called ny-rod or something to that effect. If it's not generating much for heat, will i be able to lay a simple 1" bead without causing an issue? Or, should the manifold be brought up to a ceetain temp and mig welded which i am not familiar with wire types, etc. I just turn it on and set the amps and wire settings.

Directconnection
06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Aaron, how much are those sections and where do you get them? I had no idea they are cast looking at them from the pics.

8valves
06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
This is all reference to TIG stuff, as far as backpurging. You run a separate tank, or a split regulator and run a small tube into the piping and seal off the exits except for some pinholes in the tape, or aluminum foil, whatever you use to seal it up. This way the backside of the weld doesn't get contaminated.

EDIT: www.acestainless.com

It's not exactly cheap. Look under SS pipe, 1.5" for straight sections at $8.XX a foot, and butt weld 90* in 1.5" schedule 10 for $5.79 per bend. It adds up.

Warren Stramer
06-14-2007, 08:04 PM
You need to run argon inside the pipe? How?

My welded el manifold, I need to plug two small egt probe holes and an area that wasn't welded on the inside. I am worried about welding it and it forming a crack. What should I do? We have a machineable rod called ny-rod or something to that effect. If it's not generating much for heat, will i be able to lay a simple 1" bead without causing an issue? Or, should the manifold be brought up to a ceetain temp and mig welded which i am not familiar with wire types, etc. I just turn it on and set the amps and wire settings.

Back purging only applies to the stainless steel family, weather you are welding with TIG or MIG. the back side of the weld will "sugar" and be very weak and likely crack if not back purged. I think that is why some of the headers coming from china are junky.
If you look inside the tube of a stainless header weld, (that has been back purged) you will see a perfect bead that is almost a mirror image of the outside weld bead. Magic
If you are welding mild steel a back purge would certainly help the weld integrity but not necesary.

Dez
06-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Looks good, where did you get your pipes from?

8valves
06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Aaron, how much are those sections and where do you get them? I had no idea they are cast looking at them from the pics.

www.acestainless.com

It's not exactly cheap. Look under SS pipe, 1.5" for straight sections at $8.XX a foot, and butt weld 90* in 1.5" schedule 10 for $5.79 per bend. It adds up.

Looks good, where did you get your pipes from?

Check out above...

Dez
06-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Cool, thanks.

contraption22
06-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Nice work Aaron. Looking forward to seeing it all done!

20w/ashelby
06-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Looks nice Aaron. Give me a call sometime next week I'll come check it out.

8valves
06-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Looks nice Aaron. Give me a call sometime next week I'll come check it out.

Too bad I'm up in MI now for the summer. I got an internship that I couldn't pass up, so I'll be back at the end of August. I will be coming down on weekends every once in a while to try and get it done this year.

DodgeZ
06-21-2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF0014.JPG

That's the only teaser you guys get 'till it's nearly done.

how are you going to get the lower bolt out?

8valves
06-21-2007, 03:02 PM
There is actually plenty of clearance to access every bolt, both exhaust AND intake AND starter without removing anything from the vehicle when all parts are installed.

It's simply a bad camera angle for that particular bolt head. If you look at the #1 runner next to it, those two tubes are the same bend and installed parallel to each other, so the clearance there is the same.

20w/ashelby
06-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Too bad I'm up in MI now for the summer. I got an internship that I couldn't pass up, so I'll be back at the end of August. I will be coming down on weekends every once in a while to try and get it done this year.

Shame....Ill be graduating July 31st. Maybe Ill have to make a few trips back to help you get that thing on the road.

Dez
07-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Update?

:]

8valves
07-30-2007, 07:04 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15941

There will be another update to that later today hopefully.