PDA

View Full Version : What type of radio came stock in 89 CSX?

DC Turismo
06-14-2007, 12:07 AM
My radio is missing and I read somewhere upon many hours of trying to find out more about these cars that some 89 CSX's came with tape players while others did not. Not sure if someone can take up close shots of their radios in their factory 89s for me, or even have a picture of what one should look like.
I'd love to hook a DEX-77 up in there! haha

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

shelbypart
06-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Mine just has a base AM/FM Radio. No cassette player. All of the ones I have seen are like this.

ShelbyMotorsports
06-14-2007, 12:09 PM
AM/FM base radio. The CSX brochure incorrectly shows a tape deck.

I've heard "stories" of original owners complaining to the dealer that the brochure shows a cassette and that the dealer installed a cassette for them but as usual they can never back their "story" up with proof.

DC Turismo
06-17-2007, 01:33 AM
Now that you mention that the brochure shows a radio/cassette, which it does, I was glancing through it tonight and also noticed that the CSX decals on the side, in the brochure at least, were shown to be just below the pinstripe on the quarter panel molding right behind the doors. I've only seen them in a larger decal above that molding. Did any CSX's come with the decal on the molding itself as shown or no?

ShelbyMotorsports
06-17-2007, 04:11 PM
In the auto industry car brochures are printed months before the car is actually built. This holds true with Shelby Automobiles as those brochures were designed/printed using prototype examples of the car. All Shelby brochures have "errors" in them.

Besides the cassette radio being dropped you've also noticed that they decided not to apply CSX decals to the bodyline moulding on the production cars.

Some other "errors" in the brochure are the Recaro seats. Another style of Recaro seat was used on the production car. Also if you look at the rear wing you will see that it does not have the CHMSL on it.

Another error is the brochure showing Gatorback tires as standard equipment which was not the case. Eagle GT+4 tires were standard with larger Gatorbacks as an option.

Steve

shelbypart
06-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Also has 87/88 style shift boot.

88_pacifica
06-20-2007, 09:23 PM
What type of radio came stock in 89 CSX?

The kind that plays music... :D :thumb:

Sorry... I just couldn't help myself... :(

Prince Valiant
06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I do recall that the cassette player was an option...iirc, I read it in MT or R&D or something or another. Mine has the AM/FM radio though...

ShelbyMotorsports
06-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I do recall that the cassette player was an option...iirc, I read it in MT or R&D or something or another. Mine has the AM/FM radio though...

Please show us proof of this "option". The window sticker or build sheet will do.

dodgeshadowchik
07-03-2007, 09:11 PM
mine has a cassette player. as if this is original, i don't know. is there anyone who could run my car's vin and tell?

moparman76_69
07-03-2007, 10:41 PM
My guess would be a chrysler one?

rare_ram
07-04-2007, 12:54 AM
I think it was this.:p

http://www.math.toronto.edu/~drorbn/Gallery/Symmetry/Tilings/2S22/OldRadio.jpg

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2007, 12:40 PM
AM/FM base radio. The CSX brochure incorrectly shows a tape deck.

I've heard "stories" of original owners complaining to the dealer that the brochure shows a cassette and that the dealer installed a cassette for them but as usual they can never back their "story" up with proof.

How about the '87's? my CSX #252 had a stock tape deck in it.

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2007, 12:40 PM
mine has a cassette player. as if this is original, i don't know. is there anyone who could run my car's vin and tell?

If it were done at a dealer then the VIN report might tell the history?

ShelbyMotorsports
07-04-2007, 01:34 PM

You will need either the window sticker or build sheet to know for sure.

Chrysler is of no help for researching individual vins. Perhaps this may change one day with new owners.

Steve

ShelbyMotorsports
07-04-2007, 01:37 PM
How about the '87's? my CSX #252 had a stock tape deck in it.

Yup 87 CSX had cassettes.

The accepted story is that the 1989 CSX received a base radio to save a few bucks on the build.

Steve

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Sad story... for the market you would think they would have flipped the couiple extra bucks for a cassette player.

vnt#361
01-09-2013, 01:16 PM
That's an awesome idea. I would eventually like to do the same thing with my CSX. Speaking of which, have you, or anyone else on this thread, seen the DEX-77 up for sale lately?